Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

A plastic society

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Our lastest ranter, Feima, has strong views on cosmetic surgery.

What do you reckon?

:)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I am all FOR cosmetic surgery.

Be a confident, upstanding person, be the best you can, ignore all putdowns by other people.
    That's all well and good, but you're not going to be confident unless you have the ability to change what you are not confident about within yourself. Whether it mental or physical.

For me, I had a tooth which was set back 3mm from the rest. I have recently had this repaired via cosmetic dentistry (yesterday). And although I only have the temporary veneer on (until 2 weeks time), I already feel a confidence in my smile which I personally haven't had in 10 years. (even if people have said they hadn't noticed it - I HAD)

So for me, MY own complex got to me, not peer pressure to look good / be vain.

I don't believe people should want to look good for other people, but for THEMSELVES.

My 2 blog posts on it (useless, I know)
    http://inureface.blogspot.com/2008/08/inure-mouth.html
    http://inureface.blogspot.com/2008/08/inure-in-my-mirror.html
    Agree that increasing desire for cosmetic surgery is probably a sad reflection of the way beauty is portrayed and the pressure for perfection in our society. However, the point remains that to a woman who has a feature that she feels is so imperfect that it makes her stand out from everyone else, that when she looks in the mirror, all she can see are the bits she wants to change, that she will probably fixate on her entire life, cosmetic surgery seems like the obvious option.

The fact is, when we see someone (and I'm thinking usually women here, because sadly we are usually our own worst enemy) who looks anything less than perfect, our first reaction isn't to say or think, "wow, she looks really beautiful in her own unique way" or to appreciate the good things about her appearance, we usually think or say, "yuck, look at her rolls of fat/saggy boobs/funny nose/sweat patches/what she is wearing". You only have to look in any womens' magazine or listen to coversations in nightclubs to see examples of this. And men can be just as bad in their attitudes to women, the way some of them rate every single woman that walks past out of ten, or express genuine disgust towards any women who is bigger than a size 14, who has small boobs, or some other ultimately insignifcant feature.

For some women cosmetic surgery is the only option, it is the only chance they ever have of looking in the mirror and not disliking what they see, or not feeling as though they have bitchy women making comments about them and desperate men judging them. Think just how much you must want to change yourself to spend all that money and put yourself under the knife, in some cases risking death, just to change one aspect of your appearance; this isn't just the "oh I wish this bit of my body looked a little different" thing that a lot of us have, I'm sure the individual in question has, in most instances, really strong reasons for wanting surgery.

Personally I think it is more important for us to examine our own attitudes towards appearance, to listen to ourselves when we're talking about others, and to really think about why we act in the ways we do, as opposed to condeming those who have plastic surgery as "vain". And having watched a lot of the programmes the ranter talks about, we can see what a massive difference it often makes to the person in question in terms of their confidence, their feelings about themselves and often their relationships with partners, etc.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    BritJamez wrote: »
    For me, I had a tooth which was set back 3mm from the rest.

Then your case isn't one of those she rants about.

My personal view is that if you have a mental problem (and thinking that a perfectly normal body part isn't, is certainly a mental problem) you need a psychologist, not a surgeon.
    I'm in two minds about it, i'm not really bothered about it if whatever is getting fixed is really getting a person down, things you can't change like sticky out ears, or a big nose. I'm personally not a fan of stuff like boob jobs, because they usually look fake and too perfect but if someone wants it done then i don't see why not. Only problem is is when it become an obession, people get one thing fixed, then they want another thing tweaking, or to get their boobs just a bit bigger - and eventually it gets out of control. But i do think it's sad that we feel the need to do this kind of stuff to ourselves in the persuit of beauty and acceptance.
    Why isn't it? What is the difference between cosmetic surgery on your teeth and cosmetic surgery on your body or face?
    It doesn't have to do with what body part it is. As the rant itself says (didn't anyone read it?) it's different when it's to fix something that is medically wrong, and something that someone just perceives as wrong when it's perfectly fine.
    A tooth behind the others is a true physical problem, something that formed badly. Small breasts aren't (except in some rare cases).

As for the rest, if the problem is that people "pass comment" then you should also change the way you act when people "pass comment" on you for (for example) not telling your kid not to talk when on a plane. If you think they have no right to tell you that and that you should ignore the comments at that instance, you should also ignore them about the physical things, which you didn't even have a choice on.
    I'm not meaning to have a go, I just think you're being a bit simplistic about it. The tooth being out of alignment was not a medical problem as such; it isn't affecting the bite and it isn't causing pain. What has been done is purely for cosmetic reasons to make the patient feel more confident about their smile.
    Cosmetic correction VS cosmetic change.
    What about very saggy, drooping breasts? That is a physical situation. What about one breast being obviously a different size to the other? Neither of these are "medical" problems, yet they do cause very real body image issues for those that suffer with them. In this society, they are judged as being deformed.
    That's a very different thing, but I've not really set my opinion on it since I don't know how "normal" each of these situations is. My issue is with things that are perfectly normal (from a medical perspective -keep in mind that "medical" might be the wrong word for what I mean) being changed. If the above are normal, it's society that's in the wrong: some people think being gay is a crime, and that's society in the wrong.
    i think cosmetic surgery should be purely up to the individual. As long as its an informed choice.
    I think its a shame when people correct things that already look perfectly fine, and i think its a shame when people think they can get surgery to fix anything - you see Jordan turning into the next Michael Jackson. Thats really not good, but its still only them they are hurting so nobody elses business.

I DONT like the fact that people see surgically sculpted people and think its what they should look like - and that is whats happening, I think its been abused a bit.
    OK... how about someone who has a broken nose reset to rectify the shape. I'm guessing that you would have no problem with that. Take someone else who has always had their nose that shape. Why would it be OK for the first person to have surgery to correct the shape, but not the second?

Would it be a deformity in the second instance?
    i think cosmetic surgery should be purely up to the individual. As long as its an informed choice.
    I think its a shame when people correct things that already look perfectly fine, and i think its a shame when people think they can get surgery to fix anything - you see Jordan turning into the next Michael Jackson. Thats really not good, but its still only them they are hurting so nobody elses business.

I DONT like the fact that people see surgically sculpted people and think its what they should look like - and that is whats happening, I think its been abused a bit.
    Nothing to disagree with here :)

I agree that with everything written here. My own personal concern is that people are going to take cosmetic surgery too far and everyone will look like androids. What can be a flaw for one person can be an endearing quirk to another. Someone's gap in their front tooth can be seen as sexy (take Vanessa Paradis)..Those 'love handles' could be the sexiest part of a person's body to their partner. This links on to my own special thought of the day. I wish people would stop being so fucking critical of other people's appearance :grump: Something I've seen a lot of today..
    I was going to mention jordan - even though she's had her boobs deflated she's had loads of other stuff done like veneers and her lips plumped. She hardly looks human anymore. I don't see the attraction in a perfect set of straight pearly white teeth, they don't look right. And it's such a shame about michael jackson, he looked perfectly fine and now he's ruined his face.
    I'd like cosmteic surgery, however I am very aware that surgery is on the increase and, in my opinion it is sad. My reasons for cosmetic surgery is to even out my boobs. One is a C/D cup, the other a B/C cup. It's very obvious to me all the time, and I have very low self esteem when it comes to that part of my body. If I was to seriously consider a permenant option such as surgery then I'd probably ask for an enlargment to a definate D cup. It just seems a solution, I wouldn't have to try on several different bra sizes of each bra to make sure they fit properly, and the smaller breast would have more support- as I have to go larger and buy a C cup bra, otherwise the larger breast spills over, but then I still have a big gap in the cup. I may have to buy some breast enhancing fillets or something.

sorry for the length... didn't mean to get side tracked. My final thought- each to their own.
    It's something that should be an (informed) individual choice, one way or the other.

Much as I am a bit wary about cosmetic surgery, it's not really my place to make decisions about someone else's appearance, is it? If they reallywant to do that sort of thing and they can pay for it, let them.
    I was reading a newspaper article lately asking why so many women want cosmetic surgery. It is very sad the number of women who think their boobs too small. Men like all sorts anyway (I mean a lot of the time itis because we're trying to be more sexually alluring to men). We should be more grateful for general good health and vitality.Also, people who care about us care about how we act and what we say, not if your nose is a bit wonky or you've a bit extra fat on your thighs (although I love my bigger boobs now I'm preggers again lol).