Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hayfever

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you take for your bog-standard everyday hayfever? I've got Tesco's allergy/hayfever pills but you're only supposed to take one a day, and I find I suffer most when I first wake up and then in the late evening just before bed.

I did take 2 pills yesterday, but that was before I realized it's only meant to be one dose a day.

What can I take more than once?

Comments

• Options
    The standard Piriton (which is something like Chlorpheramine) is 3/day although it makes some people very drowsey.

It's worth experimenting a bit with different ones as some work far better for some people than others. You need to check the active ingredient rather than the brand though as I'm pretty sure places like Tesco do more than one on their own brand.

Another thing to look into would be nose spray/eye drops.
  • Options
    You could try a natural anti histamane like a nasal spray that is similar to Olbus Oil. Or eat honeycomb that has both antihistamine and anti-inflammatory properties.

I've found natural remedies just as efficient but on really high pollen count days have stayed home with a wetted tea towel placed over my face.

Poppi
  • Options
    AccessDenied - does that mean I can eat Crunchies? :p

Thanks ScaryMonster, the active ingrediant in Tesco's version is Loretadine, I must try some more options!
  • Options
    Supposedly needs to be honeycombe or honey produced locally for it to work.

Loratadine suits some not others, I have the same problem of it not doing anything like 24 hours for me and have ended up on a prescription one. Would be worth trying your GP if you don't get anything reasonably effective soon. Cost works out about the same because you usually get 30 days from GP.
  • Options
    I don't know what Crunchies are. <blush> Forgive my pig ignorance but are they a cereal? :)
  • Options
    Crunchies are a Cadburys chocolate bar. Sugar honeycombe inside coated with chocolate.
  • Options
    The standard Piriton (which is something like Chlorpheramine) is 3/day although it makes some people very drowsey.

It's worth experimenting a bit with different ones as some work far better for some people than others. You need to check the active ingredient rather than the brand though as I'm pretty sure places like Tesco do more than one on their own brand.

Another thing to look into would be nose spray/eye drops.

I know some people have this reaction but I've yet to meet anyone who does.

As for Piriton, Boots now do their own version which seems to be on a constant 2-for-1, which makes it less than half the price of the normal Piriton and its exactly the same dose.

I've heard daily doses of wheatgerm can help too, but it does taste quite revolting.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

I've got some Zirtek which has the same active ingrediant as Piriton. :)
  • Options
    Sounds YUM! I'll look out for them tomorrow. :P
  • Options
    Shouldn't be hard to find, in practically every newsagent! Gold wrapper with crunchie in funky letters in red.
  • Options
    Im pretty sure that Zirtek is cetirizine, not chlorphenamine which is Piriton.

Cetirizine and loratadine are once-daily dosing.
    Chlorphenamine and acrivastine (Benedryl) are 3-4times a day but there is a chance that they will mae you drowsy.

You could alter the time of day that you take loratidine. Try teatime??
  • Options
    My hayfever has got progressively worse over the last 5 years. Loratadine never worked for me, but I tried the 3 a day acrivastine ones which were ok for a bit and then I moved on to cetirizine which was good for a couple of years. Eventually it felt like the effects were only lasting for 12 hours and i've had to get a prescription from the Doctor now, so if the rest don't work it is probably a good idea to go to your doc.
  • Options
    I recently started taking Zyrtec also. Since it became OTC it is on sale all the time so I thought I'd try it. I work in a really dusty dirty place and my allergies work overtime. It works a wonder. It says it may cause drowsiness though and since everything seems to lately I take it right before bed for the next day.
  • Options
    I keep buying once daily pills. Once a day isn't enough. Buggerty.