Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Thatcher has dementia

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lea_uk wrote: »
    What makes good people different from bad people is not taking pleausre in other people's misfortunes.

oh is it now? :lol: Is this thread all about me now? Maybe you could take it to P&D to discuss whether im a bad person or not
  • Options
    I know you're not a bad person.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    What makes good people different from bad people is not taking pleausre in other people's misfortunes.

Load of shite, that's something you'd find on facebook or something.

It's unfortunate that she has dementia and I'm sure her family are going through a lot at the moment and have been ever since she's got it. But as she's caused untold misery to millions in this country then I'm not going to pretend I'm sad or feel sorry for her.
  • Options
    It depends partly on whether or not you feel personally aggrieved by her, and then whether you find it easy to wish bad things upon an 'enemy'. I generally think karma works in every direction, but then again it depends on exactly how aggrieved you feel. She never had any noticeably bad effect on me, so I'm completely nonchalant.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    But as she's caused untold misery to millions in this country...
    Says who? The people from worked down coal mines, who still refuse to accept to this day that their industry was failing and desperately needed dragging into the 20th century? The people who were part of the bullying (and unelected, naturally) union barons that used to run this country to the ground?

The next Margaret Thatcher cannot come soon enough.
  • Options
    I'm from a mining town so I know exactly what she did to the minining industry and I'm not a fan because of it but I can't say that I'm happy that she is ill with an awful illness.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Says who? The people from worked down coal mines, who still refuse to accept to this day that their industry was failing and desperately needed dragging into the 20th century? The people who were part of the bullying (and unelected, naturally) union barons that used to run this country to the ground?

So someone who can take control, like blair who you despised?
  • Options
    I dislike Blair more than Thatcher anyhow. Thatcher never started a war that cost the lives of thousands, and that was justified via false intelligence. Closing down a coal mine doesn't have to kill anybody (at least directly..)
  • Options

If by 'dragging into the 20th Century' you mean 'destroying', then you're spot on.

Then there are the poor, the disadvantaged, single mothers, those on welfare, and pretty much everyone who isn't rich. Not to mention the people of Chile.

The miners issue is the first one that comes to mind, but it is by no means the only or even most significant consequence of Thatcher's reign. This is the woman who said there is no such thing as society and who cultivated the concepts of greed and selfishness in this country- the consequences of which we're still paying today- and who heartlessly persecuted those who were in most need.

I don't wish anyone dementia- not even her- but let's not be under any illusions about the deeply unpleasant policies and philosophy of the woman, and the damage and suffering she caused to millions of individuals and Britain as a whole.
  • Options
    I wish i'd been around to remember what she did. I'm from a mining town and ive heard stories about the strikes from my parents. And since it got closed down our town has been a ghost town until very recently when the sportsworld headquarters got built. But its still quite desolate, not many jobs and lots of unemployed.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    So someone who can take control, like blair who you despised?
    Blair was a strong leader? Don't make me laugh.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    This is the woman who said there is no such thing as society...
    Nobody seems to know what Thatcher actually meant when she said that - she never appears to have explained it, though I'm not surprised. The Iron Lady is one of those "never apologise, never explain" characters. Either way, it was a pretty stupid comment.
  • Options
    She also let 10 of my countrymen die on a hunger strike.
  • Options
    Presumably this is a reference to the hunger strike in the Maze Prison back in 1981, I think it was. You're mourning the deaths of gunmen, bombers, and murderers. That speaks volumes.
  • Options
    and sold off most of the council houses
  • Options
    and sold off most of the council houses
    There is a very simple solution to this brainless idea - councils can buy more houses. Has that thought ever run past you?
  • Options
    There is a very simple solution to this brainless idea - councils can buy more houses. Has that thought ever run past you?

But did they?
  • Options
    Presumably this is a reference to the hunger strike in the Maze Prison back in 1981, I think it was. You're mourning the deaths of gunmen, bombers, and murderers. That speaks volumes.

Yeh but I certainly won't be mourning the death of Thatcher.
  • Options
    Yeah but which houses will they buy?
  • Options

no, they werent allowed to. That was the whole point.
  • Options
    Thatcher never forced people to sell their council houses. She only gave owners the right to buy if they chose.
  • Options
    A lot of the changes Thatcher made were necessary. We emerged as a stronger country for it and the rest of Europe in particular had to eventually follow us. However she didn't implement them in the best way, in fact she was pretty brutal really. Like say you need to have an operation on your leg because it's infected, Thatcher was the equivilent of the surgeon who just hacks the whole leg off. Solves the problem and sets us up for the future, yes - but at a great cost.

But it's very easy to look back and say what people did wrong, at the end of the day politicians are just eople who are doing what they think is right. What would anyone else have done in her position?
  • Options

They chose to die. As you say, fuck 'em.
  • Options
    If by 'dragging into the 20th Century' you mean 'destroying', then you're spot on.

Then there are the poor, the disadvantaged, single mothers, those on welfare, and pretty much everyone who isn't rich. Not to mention the people of Chile.

The miners issue is the first one that comes to mind, but it is by no means the only or even most significant consequence of Thatcher's reign. This is the woman who said there is no such thing as society and who cultivated the concepts of greed and selfishness in this country- the consequences of which we're still paying today- and who heartlessly persecuted those who were in most need.

I don't wish anyone dementia- not even her- but let's not be under any illusions about the deeply unpleasant policies and philosophy of the woman, and the damage and suffering she caused to millions of individuals and Britain as a whole.

This country was a complete mess until she came into power and put a stop to the rot. Strikes, blackouts, rubbish piled high in the streets etc. This country was a laughing stock.

I agree that, over time, she took things too far with her economic beliefs BUT time and time again, the electorate voted her back in. Perhaps its the electorate - and not her - that are to blame. She must have taken that as a sign that she was doing what the people wanted. She didn't try and hold onto power via the gun and so she can never be compared to the Stalin's, Bin Laden's etc of this world.
    This is the woman who said there is no such thing as society

This is the full context of that often (mis)quoted speech :

I think we've been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it's the government's job to cope with it. 'I have a problem, I'll get a grant.' 'I'm homeless, the government must house me.' They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation."

As one can see, it's not quite as sensational as you make it out to be. I bet if I did a search through your past posts on this board, Aladdin, I could manipulate out-of-context statements of yours that may make you appear rather nasty (which I know you're not, by the way :) ).
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    This country was a complete mess until she came into power and put a stop to the rot. Strikes, blackouts, rubbish piled high in the streets etc. This country was a laughing stock.

I agree that, over time, she took things too far with her economic beliefs BUT time and time again, the electorate voted her back in. Perhaps its the electorate - and not her - that are to blame. She must have taken that as a sign that she was doing what the people wanted. She didn't try and hold onto power via the gun and so she can never be compared to the Stalin's, Bin Laden's etc of this world.
    I don't think the public re-electing her is a reliable indication of her record in office. At the end of the day they elected Major afterwards, and indeed keep electing Tony fucking Blair.

The only thing she did right, she did too much of it and tipped the scales to the other side completely. And on top of that she championed a disgusting culture of selfishness and unparalelled greed that has done so much damage to the social fabric of this country.

So the balance of her Premiership could be summed up as: took reforms too far, fucked literally tens of millions of people over, nearly destroyed the welfare state, persecuted single mothers, castigated the poor in favour of the rich, and instigated an ugly culture of personal greed and disregard for the needy.

2/10.

And they're thinking of giving this woman a State Funeral?

This is the full context of that often (mis)quoted speech :

I think we've been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it's the government's job to cope with it. 'I have a problem, I'll get a grant.' 'I'm homeless, the government must house me.' They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation."

As one can see, it's not quite as sensational as you make it out to be. I bet if I did a search through your past posts on this board, Aladdin, I could manipulate out-of-context statements of yours that may make you appear rather nasty (which I know you're not, by the way :) ).
    The meaning still reads pretty clear to me: individuals are all that count. Fuck the poor, fuck the needy, fuck welfare.
  • Options
    I don't think the public re-electing her is a reliable indication of her record in office. At the end of the day they elected Major afterwards, and indeed keep electing Tony fucking Blair.

Well it suggests that the public agreed with them...
  • Options
    Or that the opposition was even less appealing- a case of the 'Devil you Know...'.

I don't know about Labour during her Premiership, but with the state of the Tories during Blair's premiership, Labour could have made Gary Glitter their PM and still get elected.
  • Options
    Or that the opposition was even less appealing- a case of the 'Devil you Know...'.

I don't know about Labour during her Premiership, but with the state of the Tories during Blair's premiership, Labour could have made Gary Glitter their PM and still get elected.

If they were that unpopular people would have voted for the opposition. They were more popular than the opposition therefore they won elections
  • Options

Well, if Labour at the time were too awful to vote for, then she can't have been that despised at the time. The only reason Tony Blair kept on winning was because of his politics and not his personality.

The meaning still reads pretty clear to me: individuals are all that count. Fuck the poor, fuck the needy, fuck welfare.

Perhaps I ought to run the quote through Google Translator for you so that you can get a Spanish translation (what a laugh that will be, eh? :p ). The quote clearly states the objective of her argument : "People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation". Its a sentiment that I can agree with. There is nothing in there about wanting to 'fuck' anyone over. I think you choose to read it that way because you WANT to read it that way.
  • Options

The alternative was Neil Kinnock and as much as i liked him, i dont think he was really prime minister material
  • Options
    If they were that unpopular people would have voted for the opposition. They were more popular than the opposition therefore they won elections
    Sure, but that doesn't mean she was doing a good job at all- let alone that she should be revered as one of the best PMs we've had, when in fact she's been arguably the worst and most destructive.