Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Thatcher has dementia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/margaret-thatcher-suffering-from-dementia-907478.html

Lots of British people claim to dislike her, but I feel bad she is suffering from this. Besides, some schools of thought say that one should show compassion towards their enemies...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its really hard for some people to show compassion towards a woman that many people thought screwed them over good and proper. If we gave compassion to our enemies as much as we did our friends, then there would never seemingly be any trouble in the world.

Personally i respected the woman in some ways, but not in others, though dementia is something you would never wish upon anyone, friend or foe.

She was rumoured to only sleep 3/4 hours a night for her entire time as PM, cant have helped her general health. I mean she didnt look well at reagans funeral, and that was a few years before now!
    MrG wrote: »
    She was rumoured to only sleep 3/4 hours a night for her entire time as PM, cant have helped her general health. I mean she didnt look well at reagans funeral, and that was a few years before now!
    No, it's being Prime Minister that isn't good for your health. If you want the proof, all you have to do is take one picture of Tony Blair on the day he was elected in 1997, and another one taken on the day of his resignation in 2007. In the first one, he looks young and full of energy. In the second, he just looked tired and haggard. His "best friend" Macavity's only been doing the job for a little over a year, but he already looks permanently knackered. Think about it - crises can break at almost every hour of the day, you've got endless phone calls, endless ministerial meetings... it must wear you down. I may well berate the PM, but it's certainly not one job that I want to do. Anyone who actively wants to be Prime Minister should be shot, in my opinion.

It's terrible that Thatcher is suffering from dementia, but I somehow doubt that she'll get much sympathy from Lefties who've always hated her. I bet the "journalist" at The Grauniad who got to write about this story must have got some sexual buzz out of it. The good thing is, Thatcher never cared what her critics thought and I have no reason to believe she'll suddenly give a shit now.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    It's terrible that Thatcher is suffering from dementia, but I somehow doubt that she'll get much sympathy from Lefties who've always hated her. I bet the "journalist" at The Grauniad who got to write about this story must have got some sexual buzz out of it. The good thing is, Thatcher never cared what her critics thought and I have no reason to believe she'll suddenly give a shit now.

Have a word with yourself.

I realise that this is your internet 'character' but it's reached the point of self parody now.
    SG i was incinuating that being PM was bad for the health, it was the job that caused her to have such little sleep during her tenure, to be fair, i dont think id actually want to ever be PM, the job would likely kill me!
    On a health front (because I'm far too young to really understand the politics side of it), I'm sorry to read she's suffering with dementia.
    Curvy_lass wrote: »
    On a health front (because I'm far too young to really understand the politics side of it), I'm sorry to read she's suffering with dementia.

Even if you did know alot about Thatcher politics, you have the right idea. Ignore the politics, a poor frail old lady has dementia, which is terrible.

Yeah I'm getting excited over it right now :yeees:

I think it's terrible. But I think it's terrible when anyone gets dementia. I don't like to discriminate :)
    oh well.
    It's not a new story she's got dementia - it's been known for years. Though it's nice to see The Independent finally catching up - what is the next scoop? 'World War Two ends'?
    maybe she caught it off ronald reagan?
    Fuck her.
    It's terrible that Thatcher is suffering from dementia, but I somehow doubt that she'll get much sympathy from Lefties who've always hated her. I bet the "journalist" at The Grauniad who got to write about this story must have got some sexual buzz out of it.

You gonna start cheering for Bin Laden when you hear he has Alzheimer's?

Point being: who gets "much sympathy" from people who hate them? Would you want people to change their opinion of you based on a disease or condition you have? Dementia is bad - that's a duh. It doesn't mean you abandon your opinions because someone has it. Do you also reckon non-racists have been jerking off over Jade Goody's cancer? It's a stupid thing to say.

Being glib and "fuck you" or "oh well" [see two of the posts above] is certainly needlessly spiteful, unnecessary and pointless; but just as spiteful is the need to turn it into a Right vs Left showdown, when yet again it's not at all; it's simply an old lady with dementia.
    It's terrible that Thatcher is suffering from dementia, but I somehow doubt that she'll get much sympathy from Lefties who've always hated her.

About as much sympathy as you'd give to Gary Glitter as you were wanking off over the news that he'd been butchered by an angry mob. ;)
    Being glib and "fuck you" or "oh well" [see two of the posts above] is certainly needlessly spiteful, unnecessary and pointless.

It's not really. I couldn't give a fuck about the old hag. Simple as.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Fuck her.

sums it up really :thumb:

i just think its a shame it wasnt something more terminal

i just think its a shame it wasnt something more terminal

Thats fucking awful.
    im bitter
    I'm not a big fan of the woman but I wouldn't wish this on anyone.
    am i the only one who is quite happy to see bad things happen to bad people?
    People have mentioned Bin Laden here. Compare him with Thatcher: Bin Laden has had innocent citizens killed. His motives classified the kills as mass murder, not manslaughter. Therefore, if we found out that he got struck down by a bolt of lightning 1 hour ago, sympathy levels ain't exactly gonna be hitting the roof.

Thatcher was a Prime Minister. Like her or not, most Prime Minsters are/were unpopular. In my time - Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown all included. They all had their go at running the country, but at the end of the day, they were just doing their jobs. Personally, I don't wish anything as brutal as dementia on any of these politicians.
    I'm incredibly ignorant to what this women did in 80's but I know alot of people dont like her. Because of this I probably shouldnt get involved in this but anyhow..

SCC have you ever seen somebody (not nessiserally somebody you care about) deteriate through dementia?

My spellings shit today.

I can't say I am. But I don't lose sleep over it when they do.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit

There are some terrible people out there and if someting seriously horrid happens to them then I might feel indifferent, but that's very different in taking pleasure in it or wishing it on them.

Feeling happy in somebody elses suffering is fucking awful. That is what I hope keeps me seperate from the 'bad people' you're talking about.
    Weekender Offender 
    Oh Dear. How Sad. Never Mind.

She never gave a shit anyone but the rich people, let them lick her arse and fawn over her illness and let the Serfs give as much of a shit about her as she did about us.

Especially when its exactly the same illness that happens indiscriminately to good people?

if its a bad thing for a good person to have it, its a bad thing for anyone to have it.
    kate- wrote: »

SCC have you ever seen somebody (not nessiserally somebody you care about) deteriate through dementia?

yes. it was a shame. felt sorry for the family really
    Skive wrote: »
    Feeling happy in somebody elses suffering is fucking awful. That is what I hope keeps me seperate from the 'bad people' you're talking about.

not really. Causing suffering to people is pretty bad, but feeling a twinge of satisfaction when you see karma in action - i dont think thats particularly bad. I dont think its good either, but i can assure you that the damage that woman caused to so many communities, is far worse than one woman losing her mind.
    What makes good people different from bad people is not taking pleausre in other people's misfortunes.
    lol....

I can really feel the love in this thread.

Ok, so she's as bad as Stalin now?

I'm not necessarily a fan of hers, but I won't take pleasure in her suffering. I'm not that low really.