Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Book Suggestions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
There seems to be a few threads on here at the moment about books, but thought I'd go ahead anyway and make another.

I need some book suggestions for a friend. He doesn't read much, and I'm trying in vain to get him to! He mainly likes sci-fi/fantasy/action books, but I want him to read well written books, that make you think about them after and get you to know the characters, 'feelings and shit' he calls it! Any suggestions? They're not really the kinda books I read myself so I'm alittle stumped.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Lotr? I've only read The Hobbit and remember really liking that.
    We-Yevgeny Zamyatin
    The Diamond Age, by Neal Stephenson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diamond_Age

It's got sci-fi AND 'feelings and shit' for your emotionally stunted monkey-boy.
    For someone who couldn't really give a shit and who needs to be persuaded, I'd recommend The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger.
    Easy to relate to the main character, and it is an easy read - and for people who wont be able to derive some sort of message out of it, at least they had an interesting read.
    Not Sci-Fi/Fantasy or Action though.
    Iain M Banks.

I'd say Feersum Endjinn for a book that's very cleverly written, but that's probably not one you'd want to start reading Banks with. So probably Against A Dark Background or Consider Phlebas.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    We-Yevgeny Zamyatin

Bastard! That was exactly what I was going to say. Amazing book - twas the basis for 1984 and Brave New World (though Huxley profusely denied it; Orwell said it was a major influence on him).
    Rendezvous with Rama (Arthur C. Clarke)

The whole rama series is pretty damn good. Pretty much any Arther C Clarke book is good.

The Andromina Strain - Michael Crichton
    The discworld series by Terry Prachett.
    I'm really into Augusten Burroughs atm,
    'Running with scissors' (also a sweet film) and 'Dry' are the two I've read so far, they're 'memoirs' 'running' is about him growing up with a mother suffering from depression, and 'dry' is about him dealing with his alcoholism whilst trying to maintain his job in advertising....

sounds pretty pitch, but they're actually really funny!
    world war z
    dune
    eisenhorn - dan abnett
    the horus heresy series - various authors, available from games workshop or online at www.blacklibrary.com
    I will always recommend Discworld - but not everyone likes the first book, so maybe have a squint at the back covers and see which sorts of characters and plots might appeal. I would probably suggest the books about the Watch or Death.
    Its much more action than sci-fi (it isnt sci-fi at all really) but Carter Beats the Devil is an absolutle corker, loads of action and adventure.
    Horned Pigeon - which is really well written and a true story about somone escaping from a prisoner or war camp and making their way accross europe
    birdsong, awesome war book :D (its about far more than just fighting though, very deep!!!)