Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How to go to interviews when you have a job!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm looking for a new job at the moment and it wouldn't go down well with the boss if I was looking for a new job so I can't really tell her. I've been to one interview and not got the job and I said I had a hospital appointment. Most interviews will take a few hours including travelling there etc so I have to take a half day off work and its gonna keep cutting into my leave (I only have 6 days left until next April). Also my boss will get a bit pissed off it I keep taking leave at short notice. If it takes 6 interviews to get a job I'll only have 3 days left, and it could take more! I work Mon-Fri 9-5.30 so its pretty hard to get an interview any other time. What can I do? :crying:

Comments

• Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    I'm looking for a new job at the moment and it wouldn't go down well with the boss if I was looking for a new job so I can't really tell her. I've been to one interview and not got the job and I said I had a hospital appointment. Most interviews will take a few hours including travelling there etc so I have to take a half day off work and its gonna keep cutting into my leave (I only have 6 days left until next April). Also my boss will get a bit pissed off it I keep taking leave at short notice. If it takes 6 interviews to get a job I'll only have 3 days left, and it could take more! I work Mon-Fri 9-5.30 so its pretty hard to get an interview any other time. What can I do? :crying:

Just take a day off sick. Not ideal, but what can you do?
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Just take a day off sick. Not ideal, but what can you do?

I've had two instances of sickness in the 6 months I've been here (3 days) and she's already had a word and says its too much so I can't really do that either. I want to keep things sweet for a reference

It seems like I'm a bit stuck :(
  • Options
    I'm in the same situation. I work 9-5. It's also really shitty when you have to go to doctors appointments and dental appointments as well as interviews, like me at the moment :banghead:

You have a few options. Take more leave, take sick days, go to a morning interview and say you overslept/had a leak in the bathroom/fuse tripped/insert own excuse, or you could have an afternoon interview and say at lunchtime you aren't feeling very well, or you have a sick relative, or you're waiting for an important delivery, or could you just quit? Sure, you'd be screwed for money, but it would push you that bit harder and you could go for as many interviews as you like and trawl round the agencies, thus increasing your chances. I couldn't do that because I am the sole tenant of a two bedroom flat.

It's a rubbish situation to be in, and one I've found myself in too many times. It eats up time that could be spent on doing nicer things. Interviews suck! But on the plus side it's all experience, and the longer you stay at a job the better it looks on your CV, and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
  • Options
    I was in that situation, not so much because i was pissed off with my current job. But once i told them, because of the job im going for, they were more than happy to let me take the time off, as long as my work got done.
  • Options
    If you are planning to leave soon and only have 6 days leave till April, it is worth checking if this is pro rata, I had to work 4 days unpaid at my last job because I had taken too many days off.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    If you are planning to leave soon and only have 6 days leave till April, it is worth checking if this is pro rata, I had to work 4 days unpaid at my last job because I had taken too many days off.

Yeah I'm assuming it will come off my pay, I don't mind that
  • Options
    Depending on what you do, can you work slightly longer days/not take lunch breaks to make up for the time, and then ask for it for a range of deliveries/relatives hospital appointments etc.