Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

1st degree vs 2nd degree

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Was just wondering how harder or how much more effort a master requires compared to an undergraduate degree?
Just dawned on me that I (or my parents) are going to pay a ridiculous amount of money, and apart from the fact that I find the subject and modules really interesting I have no clue what I am getting into.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I depends on your masters. I got a 2nd class degree but my MA was totally different. Maybe it's because it's more vocational but most of my course consisted of 9 to 5 days working on campus. Maybe its the extra pressure but I actually got a higher mark in my MA than I did in my degree.

But i guess it depends what subject you do.

Edit: I beleive i may have got the wrong idea here. But i do think an MA includes much more work.
    I am just finishing off my MA dissertation at the moment! Doing an MA was a bit of a step up for me in terms of work load, but nothing too hard. How many lectures etc. you have a week depends on your course but we only had five hours a week. We had from September till June to produce 6x5000 word essays and get feedback on them as we were writing them, and then June till September to produce a 15000 word dissertation. As long as you plan your time and don't leave everything till the last minute, it is fine!

As for difficulty, I went from getting a high 2:1 with firsts in all my philosophy modules at undergrad, to failing my first two essay drafts when I handed them in; 4 out of 5 people on my course failed their first rough essays. However the lecturers are really good at giving feedback and as long as you take advantage of opportunities you get to chat to them about your work and maybe get together with other people on your course to talk about the work, it is easy to do a good job in the end. I changed universities for my MA and I think sometimes different unis have different standards/expectations, but if that is the case don't be disheartened because you do usually have opportunities to hand in rough pieces of work and get them looked at before you hand in the final assessed versions.

I'm sure you will be absolutely fine though, especially if it is a subject you are interested in and you plan your time well. It varies so much from uni to uni and from course to course but for me it just seemed like a natural step up from undergrad and has been a really enjoyable experience.
    Thanks guys. Yeah, just wanted to know if I would be gasping for air.