Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Alcohol as justification for 'less sympathy' for rape victims

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Alcohol is the most common date rape drug used for crying out loud.

Yes with alcohol there isn't very often the need for the rapist to spike the victim. If you look at the centre of town on a Saturday night and you'll see hundreds of girls who've 'drugged' themselves.
    I'm sure that girls that get raped by men whilst drunk are often the victim of an opertunist attack rather than a targetted attack. Of course that doesn't make them any less of a victim.

Another area where compensation is dropped is if the victim of a violent attack has provoked the atttacker - this can be as simple as the victim telling the attacker to 'fuck off'. Now your attacker somebody to fuck off isn't a crime, but your compensation would be considerably less if you did.
    This is because you've put youself into a postion where you're more likely to become a victim, in a similar way getting smashed on drink puts you into a position where you're more liekly to become a victim.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
  • Options
    In his next column why doesn't he just write 'I hate women' and be done with it. Along with Richard Littlejohn
  • Options
    I've had my drinks spiked several times before, as I know a lot of other folk have. Only once was it with something other than alcohol. How then can a victim prove that she didn't just get shitfaced herself and she should have taken more care?

Education - I've banged on about on here many times. If you think you've been spiked, report it and save a piss sample (as early after the event as possible).
  • Options
    In his next column why doesn't he just write 'I hate women' and be done with it. Along with Richard Littlejohn
    Oh but he doesn't you see. He just thinks their place is in the home raising children, not having fun.
  • Options
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    But if all that shows up is alcohol then how do you prove anything?

It's still education though. The precautions you take to avoid gettign spkied with drugs are the same as those you take to avoid getting spkied with alcohol.

If your a sensible drinker it's far harder for somebody to spike you with alcohol than it is with a drug - which are often far more potent.
    Weekender Offender