Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

is it bad to message and add people you don't know on facebook?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I do that sometimes and it seems weird. Is it a bad thing?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ilipintt wrote: »

Personally yes. I don't know why people bother as there is no way I am going to respond if I don't know them.
    no - not really some people don't like it but others dont' mind at all.

I have a policy where by i won't add anyone on facebook who i've not met in real life - but lots of other people dont' mind at all.

I think it might be more the norm with my space though!
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't know if FB allows messaging without adding, but if it does, I'd personally think it kind of rude if someone I don't know added me, but I'd be fine with them messaging me.
    I have mainly people I've met in life (and some thesiters) but I'll happily accept anyone I don't know and I have.
    id say its more of a myspace thing, you know, messaging and adding people you dont really know but you think they look cool etc...i use facebook as a more personal thing and mines private and i will only add my friends or people who i really know, but on myspace i might accept a random request or reply to a message if they looked interesting :]
    Only if the message was good enough. :)

Like - I've seen you around or something like that

There really are more important things to worry about.
    Maybe if I've messaged them previously on some chat thing which i do ocassionally. Apart from that I am a bit dubious about it. Today had some random guy ask me to add him, he doesnt know anyone I know, never even spoken to him on net before so declined adding him!
    If I had a social networking board such as Facebook, I would not entertain neither encourage strangers I don't know to become friends any more than I would give house room to a complete stranger off the street.

Poppi
    Mist wrote: »

what do you mean?
    If a guy adds me who I don't know, I'll msg them asking who they are. If they respond saying they've heard about me and would like to be my friend etc I get royally fucked off. The last thing I want/need is another male friend/acquaintance. Every single one will be rejected except if they're of potential use to me ie in the same career area but higher up the ladder.

If a girl adds me who I don't know I'll assume they're in some way interested in me. Unless they're ugly I'll happily accept them, and a few weeks later casually ask them out to dinner. I have slept with the MAJORITY of random girls who've added me on Facebook, truefact. :)
    :lol: When are you on tour. I've got to get tickets.

Random question: Has a statement that has to be qualified with a statement stating that it is in fact, a fact, even been true... in the whole history of the world :eek:

Facebook and Myspace and all the rest seem to be a breeding ground for random people to add you and ask you to comment on their pictures and internet iq tests. Sure it is weird, but alot of people are weird and you'll find a whole lot of them who would just love to get as many people on their friends list as humanly possible ;)
    :lol: When are you on tour. I've got to get tickets.

I'm nominating that as post of the week. :lol::D
    tinkler wrote: »
    I have slept with the MAJORITY of random girls who've added me on Facebook, truefact. :)

Congratulations, my opinion of you dropped even further. I didn't know that was possible :yeees:

Back to the OP, people do sometimes try to add me, but if I don't know them, I don't add them. I use facebook as a personal thing to keep in contact with my friends. But many people use it as a social network, so that kind of thing works for them. Everyone's different. Adding random strangers isn't a bad thing.

Yeah like what if you bump into someone you've removed off your Facebook friends list!! What the devil do you say to her :chin: :chin:
    what do you mean?

Exactly what I said. Facebook is inconsequential when stood against the vastness of the cosmos. You could ponder for hours over far more important issues than whether it's "bad" or "good" to add people on facebook. I mean, who the hell cares?

If you want to add people, add them. They can choose to add you back or just ignore you. It's a philosophically neutral event, there is no "bad" to it.
    Harmless wrote: »
    Yeah like what if you bump into someone you've removed off your Facebook friends list!! What the devil do you say to her :chin: :chin:

Ramble on about how someone hacked into your account and messed about with it, deleting some people and stuff.

Or just say you've been having issues with your facebook.

Or just run away :D
    Exactly what I said. Facebook is inconsequential when stood against the vastness of the cosmos. You could ponder for hours over far more important issues than whether it's "bad" or "good" to add people on facebook. I mean, who the hell cares?

If you want to add people, add them. They can choose to add you back or just ignore you. It's a philosophically neutral event, there is no "bad" to it.

Ok. I just feel silly if i message people i don't know.
    If you feel silly about doing it than don't do it. Some people like doing that kind of thing, others don't. There is no need to do something so trivial if it makes you uncomfortable.
    Well, I wouldn't use the word bad, but I'd say it's inappropriate to add people you don't know or have never even had a small conversation with just out of the blue.
    I'd say it's ok to message strangers tho, as long as you have reason to, like some common interest, general question etc. Then after that, it's more appropriate to add a friend request.
    If you feel silly about doing it than don't do it. Some people like doing that kind of thing, others don't. There is no need to do something so trivial if it makes you uncomfortable.

Exactly. I don't see how there is even a question for discussion.

:yes:

I tend to only add people I know. if I don't know them, I will message them and just ask who they are.
    I guess a lot also depends on how much you allow even your friends to see that gets reported as your facebook action.

I would rather my friends didn't see any of that. I don't mind them seeing a profile that I decide to make public to them, or them seeing posts I make to a blog or whatever which I make with the intention of being seen.

But I do object to anyone seeing exactly who else I am adding as a friend, what groups I join, etc.