Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Can I Go Through Clearing?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Is it possible to go through Clearing even if you haven't appied through UCAS this academic year?

Explanation/backstory: I started uni in 2006. By my 2nd year (which I've just finished) things weren't going so well. I wasn't enjoying the subject, & was finding it hard to motivate myself. I ended up failing a couple of modules, & while it was still possible to pass, it got me to thinking about how maybe I should have gone with another course which I had been looking at back when I'd applied. I spoke to several people in both departments, & was told that it would mean starting all over. Fine. I'd rather spend a few thousand extra & get a degree I would enjoy (& therefore be more likely to do well in) than keep going as I was. So I filled out the relevant forms to switch courses.

I was told to submit any work outstanding on my current course. Though as what little motivation I'd had was gone I did not do well on any of it. When my results came I didn't bother looking because I knew I'd failed.

Then I received a letter from the deans' office telling me that because I'd failed, & because I'd not withdrawn from university while changing courses, my course transfer was not going ahead, unless I wrote a letter appealing. I did, pointing out that it was clear from the start I was going to fail, so why let me transfer in the first place if that would be a problem?, & that nobody had explained that withdrawal was an option. After a few weeks, I phoned up & asked, & was told the matter was being looked at & there would be a decision & a formal announcement soon.

The wait is extremely frustrating, as I can't plan anything, & have no idea what's going on. I'm going to try calling again tomorrow & see if there has been any progress. Hopefully it will be a 'yes', but if not...

I would still like to get a degree though. Which leads to my question: Can I go through Clearing, even though I originally applied through UCAS for the 2006/07 academic year? Not sure if it's relevant, but I'm a mature student (will be 28 in September).
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm pretty sure the requirements for clearing are to not hold a confirmed offer of a university place. Which would mean yes you can.

Get onto the UCAS website now and have a look. It's got a list of the clearing places avaliable and should tell you how to apply for them.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ah awesome. Thanks.

Hopefully though I can resolve things at my current uni. I've just phoned up & - after being redirected a few times - found out that apparently the delay has been caused by concern that I won't be able to manage the module combination. Why they couldn't have told me that in the first place instead of debating amongst themselves I don't know. So I told the guy I spoke to to explain to the Dean that I was confident I could do it, & as compromise I would look at other options, & I would phone back tomorrow & (hopefully) come to some sort of decision.