Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Feeling today's economic climate

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Lots of speculation Britain is heading for an economic downturn. People don't feel as secure about their jobs, prices are rising and the global credit crunch has bitten into the economy.

Recently I noticed how much the cost of grocery has risen in supermarkets. Gas bills seem to keep rising! Banks have tightened mortgage lending and facilities like credit are not as forthcoming. Don't know about others, the squeeze is biting into personal finances.

Is the economic situation affecting your spending habits, and decisions about home and jobs?
And share the speculation amongst some political circles that the economy is going down.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, the credit crunch hasn't really changed my spending habits at all. Mainly because I never had to worry about a mortgage or anything like that in the first place. The only thing that I seem to spend more on right now is petrol for my car. Thankfully, I have a small car which only costs approximately £40 to fill up, but the cost has increased in the last year.

I work on a holiday park, and I'm absolutely certain that we're making less money than we were last year. There's quite a lot of people on the park, but they simply aren't spending their money in the arcade. This year, I also notice that most of our tourists live nearer to the park than ever - we used to have loads of Scottish and Irish visitors, along with quite a few Americans. Now, we've got far fewer of the first two groups and none of the third. Perhaps the rising cost of travel is something these people have got in mind?
    Food has got bloody expensive... Rice... Pasta...

Even at Asda, where I hate to shop, but have to at the moment. :banghead:

Our bills in the old place came in at around £150-200 each (gas and leccy), for every two months. Fair enough, one cannot complain... But we hardly use it.

I don't consume a lot anyway. I eat a vegan diet, which in general is cheaper. However, even that is getting too pricey... I mean I'm on £6.50 per hour ffs, in London. It's hard to find a better job in my area, even with my experience.

My brother can't find a job in Manchester.

Hasn't London been losing tourists?
    100s of brides are getting hitched on a Friday, instead of the traditional Saturday afternoon. The credit crunch means increasing numbers of couples are looking to hire cheaper photographers, have less expensive catering, and enjoy lower tariffs for car hire. The trend to switch the big day for a church wedding is gathering.

Anyone noticed this for weddings?
    In Iceland large layoffs have already begun as companies fight to stay afloat. More is to be expected this fall. Some industries don't feel it but among some that were then construction companies were crippled when the banks stopped lending and thus had to raise their fees so people weren't as eager to buy their service. I've heard of more companies locked in this sort of vicious circle, transport companies for example due to fuel prices.

However, most debt collecting companies are hiring! :thumb:

Iceland however got hit pretty bad as our overpriced currency crashed last Easter. It seems like most other countries are handling the credit crunch a lot better.
    Leccy - £100/quarter (up from £90)
    Gas - £45/quarter (same)
    Internet - £25/month (same)
    Council tax - £68/month (up from £65)
    Phone - £45/month (up from £40)
    Food - £35/week (up from £30)
    Mortgage - £368/month (up from £314)

And of course, I'm still on a 2005 wage. £14.75k.
    The credit crunch is a dickhead, I got tony the tiger to beat the fuck out of him. Am I the only one who's having a good time on this fragile earth? :flirt:
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Leccy - £100/quarter (up from £90)
    Gas - £45/quarter (same)
    Internet - £25/month (same)
    Council tax - £68/month (up from £65)
    Phone - £45/month (up from £40)
    Food - £35/week (up from £30)
    Mortgage - £368/month (up from £314)

And of course, I'm still on a 2005 wage. £14.75k.

You pay £25 internet a month? :confused:
    Namaste wrote: »
    You pay £25 internet a month? :confused:

I pay £25 a month for mine too.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Fun times still to come, most rail companies for instance STILL havent sorted the payrise for April 2008 and this news isn't likely to make the unions agree to a small offer!
    For me the increase in food prices and for usual household items has affected my spending by as much as a 40% when I used to live on my island Kalymnos. But now I am living in England I have felt a similar pinch on my everyday spending, though clothes seem far cheaper here than in my country of Greece.

We are a petrol driven economy. Not helping across Eastern Europe is the stronger Euro: last year the exchange rate was pushing 1.47 Euro to the £ Sterling, so British people were getting good value for their holiday spending. Not so, now. :( The Euro strengthened to approximately 1.26 to the £ Sterling and has remained static, so this strengthening has put a downturn on trading, making for less competitiveness between European countries. And the domino effect has reached my pocket and yours. Food items such as pasta and rice - as one peron said on this thread - have increased in price.

I would say that though prices in the UK have shot up (so I am told), it is far cheaper now this year than on Kalymnos where everything has to be shipped in from Athens or, other countries. For example, on goods such as CD players, radios, air conditioners, hair dryers, CARS - all nearly double in price compaired to the UK and they were well known, popular brands.

Poppi
    I've noticed a few things go up in price, but I've also shopped around and got cheaper services from different people. Phone, mobile and internet providers are falling over themselves to sell, shop around and bargins can be had.
    Decent bread seems to cost a packet these days.
    Decent bread seems to cost a packet these days.

I haven't bought a loaf in ages, make your own at home, they taste much better and dont come with 20g of salt in them.
    Im a bit of a retard with these things, but will the recession mean that renting prices will rise significantly? Or do you reckon demand will fall and the prices djust after that?
    budda wrote: »
    I haven't bought a loaf in ages, make your own at home, they taste much better and dont come with 20g of salt in them.

Do you use a bread maker? If so, how much hassle is it?

Piece of piss.

If I had the room I would have another one. My girlfriend makes Polish bread from scratch. Quite easy too.

Yes, and its really easy, putting the ingredients in takes all of about 4 or 5 minutes then the machine does all the work.
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    Im a bit of a retard with these things, but will the recession mean that renting prices will rise significantly? Or do you reckon demand will fall and the prices djust after that?

Well along with the rising demand you've also got an increase of properties on the market as people who can't sell rent out homes instead.
    true maladjusted but that's also offset by the would be buyers who can no longer afford a house being forced into the rental market......higher mortgage rates will also tempt landlords to up the rent so i think in the short term rent goes up. as foreclosures pick up the banks will also take suitable housing stock out of the market, like america atm full of empty derelict mcmansions, and inventory will build up as sales decline but it all depends on whether this can be converted to decent accommodation to bring rent down in the longer term. imo.
    Rents will be going up as more and more mortgaged properties are reposessed.
    There is an acute shortage of affordable housing.
    Theres an acute shgortage of housing full stop.
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    Lots of speculation Britain is heading for an economic downturn. People don't feel as secure about their jobs, prices are rising and the global credit crunch has bitten into the economy.

Recently I noticed how much the cost of grocery has risen in supermarkets. Gas bills seem to keep rising! Banks have tightened mortgage lending and facilities like credit are not as forthcoming. Don't know about others, the squeeze is biting into personal finances.

Is the economic situation affecting your spending habits, and decisions about home and jobs?
    And share the speculation amongst some political circles that the economy is going down.

Whether the UK would actually go into recession is unclear at the moment. I'm not an economist so I'm no expert on this. It's possible that there might be a soft landing and only economic growth quite below the trend (,i.e. 2.5%).

The Bank of England could lower interest rates but inflation is already high and over its stated inflation target, so that option is risky. I personally wouldn't agree with a fiscal stimulus like Bush had in the USA, since I don't like Keynesianism. I personally think that such a thing is silly, since it's like moving water from the deep end of a pool to the shallow end and then expecting the whole water level in the pool to rise.

I also blame Brown for this economic downturn since under him economic growth was based on consumption and not saving. In economics, saving means putting away money now in order to achieve a return on it in the future.

a lot more than tugging a 60p load of wholewheat off of the shelf
    minimi38 wrote: »
    a lot more than tugging a 60p load of wholewheat off of the shelf

:eek: christ - where on earth are you finding bread at that price?
    For me things are so much cheaper in this credit crunch environment. My expenditure has typically been fuck all - pay the bare minimum for food, bills, going out, no car etc - the only thing I plough my money into is my mortgage. My mortgage interest has gone enormously down over the last year - from paying like 5.5% interest in July down to about 4.75% now. Haven't noticed this food inflation chat whatsoever, my weekly food and drink shopping bill is always about £20/week, has been for 2yrs.
    Jim V wrote: »
    :eek: christ - where on earth are you finding bread at that price?
    Morrisons!
    tinkler wrote: »
    For me things are so much cheaper in this credit crunch environment. My expenditure has typically been fuck all - pay the bare minimum for food, bills, going out, no car etc - the only thing I plough my money into is my mortgage. My mortgage interest has gone enormously down over the last year - from paying like 5.5% interest in July down to about 4.75% now. Haven't noticed this food inflation chat whatsoever, my weekly food and drink shopping bill is always about £20/week, has been for 2yrs.

You live in London and that's all you spend on food and drink a week? Guess there is hope for doing London cheap!
    Morrisons!

My daughter buys that shit.
    I'd rather eat toilet roll.
    Yeah I'd rather pay the extra than eat Morrison's own brand bread, it doesn't taste nice and goes off really quickly. But, it is around 60p a loaf (I think possibly 57p? can't remember) the Morrisons Value loaf is 37p though.
    tinkler wrote: »

I thought you go out a lot? Do you not drink when you go out? Just wondering how you are out so much without spending anything...

I am also curious how you only spend £20 a week on food etc. Is this just for food you eat at home - hence not factoring in eating out on an evening etc? If you're eating out, I can certainly see how that would help bring your shopping bill down.
    g_angel wrote: »
    I thought you go out a lot? Do you not drink when you go out? Just wondering how you are out so much without spending anything...

I am also curious how you only spend £20 a week on food etc. Is this just for food you eat at home - hence not factoring in eating out on an evening etc? If you're eating out, I can certainly see how that would help bring your shopping bill down.

I'd imagine so, seeing a he's mentioned on several occassions about going out for meals/dates/etc.