Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Finishing a useless degree

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
It has been seven years since I have taken my first university class. A career student, if you will... unfortunatly I've never lived a day of the "student life" as I need that lovely health insurance, and a full time job to be able to do those fun extravagent things like eat and have some sort of a shelter.

I started going and havn't really had a clear cut idea of "what I want to be when I grow up" kinda thing. The degree has stayed the same. It is really the only thing that interests me and it has been to late to change for some time now. It is a political science degree... thought I'd go into law after that, then I realized I don't want any part of that and thought I would be a professor. Then I realized that all of my professors are part time and work at 17 different universities because the universities are all jackasses and don't want to pay any benefits so finding a full time job is impossible. Plus the fact that I'd have to keep my irrelevent job to keep those afformentioned joys of life. So by the time I'd be able to get that job (about 7 more years of school actually :\) the likleyhood that I'd even be able to get one is quite slim.

So its all depressing and blah and woe is me.

Then I remembered my mother telling me I should look into real time/court reporting. I'm excelent at typing and other computer crap, I don't like people and I'd be perfect at a job where I really just sit there and have it be a point that I don't interact with anybody. I brushed it off at the time because I was intent on doing whatever I wanted to do at the time.

Anywho, cut to the chase... I went to an open house today for a school in court reporting. The career aspects sound like something I would really enjoy, the field is in dire need of workers and it can be quite lucrative.

But it would cost a bit of money. I havn't got the tuition details yet but the machine itself starts at $1500 and I'd need the software, books, and all that jazz too... (all paid for by me) The school I'm at now is about $2k a class and I already have as much in financial aid loans than I make in a year... so I'm not sure if I can do both... plus both are very time consuming and I still have that whole work thing...

But I have at least two more years until I get my degree... the court reporting will take at least 2 years. I feel quite confident that my much desired degree is pretty much useless, and I don't want to wait half a decade to start a job that I might actually like and that might pay me enough to live off of.

But on the other hand... I've spent 1/3 of my life going for this university degree and even though, right now (but thats bound to change) I'll get not much out of it... I want nothing more than to have it... to finish it...

I'm not sure what I'm asking... a rant really. Growing up sucks :p
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Find a way to finish the degree a bit faster?
    Or you could look at it this way - if you do the stenographer thing - then you can earn more money and thus be in a better position to finish your degree - which i think you really want to do. Is there anyway you can do that course quicker?

Plus did they give you any tips on where you might be able to get funding to do this - if as they say they need people desperatly are they not willing to pay to get people qualified?
    If I could get it done faster I'd be long done by now :p Not only do I not have the time or brain power for more than part time, I'd never be able to afford it and its such a noncool subject that there are few to zero classes offered at the school I attend, and any others in the area. (my original degree) Plus, I think by now I am just so fed up with it, I want it done now. Doing the original degree later is the best idea. I just can't bring myself to not do it. Partly because I want it over... I want a degree... that piece of paper is a big thing with me; partly becasue the way my loan works, you start paying it six months after you finish/quit/drop below half time status. And I don't want any part of that!

There is always financial aid, there is always a way to pretend to afford it, student loans... though since I'm under 24 they still look at my parents finances and they never give me anywhere the amount I need to actually cover the cost of tuition! I'm not sure if I'd get anything else in addition in the federal student loans. I just hate the prospect of racking up even more student debt. Of course it will happen, I just hate the thought :p The only time I've ever heard of having your tuition helped out with is from your employer, but I work in a roller factory so their usefor a typist is zero and I'm not adventurous enough to find another job in this economy, especially since I don't start bitching friday night how I only have two days off and then its back to work again.

I don't know, I'm a terrible poster, rant and rave and throw any advice back in your face like the whiny bitch I am :p I guess I just needed to vent. Things will work out eventually... it is just that waiting (and waiting and waiting and waiting) time that I hate :p

But thank you :):heart: Thank you very much.

I am retardedly addicted to ":p" *hides in shame*
    May I just say darling I've found many of your posts here absolute comedy genius, very witty and original - you have a genuine talent for creative writing and hope you'll find something where you can put this creativity to some use. x
    hate to agree with him, but you are funny!

No useful advice really, must be very frustrating. I want my degree over and done with too. Had two companys phone me up and pitch me for work today but, I still have two years left at uni too... boo... Why are the holidays so fucking long is what I want to know? Why can't we just go all year round and get it over and done with? *sigh*