Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Do you worry about Nuclear Weapons?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't normally .. but the other day went to a museum and saw one on display - what struck me was how small it was - you could probably fit it in most Estate cars and yet it has the power to kill millions if dropped on a populated city.

Comments

• Options
    What I find disturbing is who could use them, and where.
  • Options
    No, I'm glad we have them, if it'll put a tin-pot dictator off attacking us then fine.
  • Options
    it worries me yeah
  • Options
    Obviously the thought of nuclear war is grim, but its way down my list of concerns, if it happens we'll die but its not like you can protect yourself.
  • Options
    no
  • Options
    Not really, no. I'd gladly get rid of Britain's if it was my decision.

Back in the Cold War days there was a real possibility of nuclear war. Now there isn't. And if a terrorist group was ever able to get their hands on one, it would make no difference whatsoever to them whether we had nukes or not (how and where exactly do you nuke Al Qaida, for instance?), so there really isn't much point in having any in the first place.
  • Options
    As I understand it Aladdin we dont actually have any nukes of our own anyway, we rent the warheads from the US.
  • Options
    they can't be uninvented, so better we have them than we don't.
  • Options
    Indeed. At an exhorbitant cost as well. IIRC the total cost of renewing the warheads, the delivery systems (missiles) and the platforms (submarine fleet) will come to an incredible £76bn or thereabouts over the next couple of decades.
  • Options
    To be honest it makes no difference whether there leased or owned. If they're fired the US can't really ask for them back.

Though there's a general misunderstanding of nukes role in British policy. Most people still seem to think in the conventional terms of weapons are there to be used - a view which was ging out of fashion by 1918 and took a further kicking in 1945. british policy is based on deterrence, ie don't mess with us. Nuclear weapons are part of that deterrence strategy - they may seem expensive, but much, much less so that having to fight conventional wars.
  • Options
    Then again the immense majority of nations the world don't have nukes, and most of them stay happily war-free without much trouble.

But then if still you engaged in regular wars, even the ultra expensive Iraq war (what is it, £5bn?) is still loose change compared with with the extraordinary amount of money keeping our nuclear deterrent requires.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Indeed. At an exhorbitant cost as well. IIRC the total cost of renewing the warheads, the delivery systems (missiles) and the platforms (submarine fleet) will come to an incredible £76bn or thereabouts over the next couple of decades.

The overwelming part of that is the subs, the missiles and the nukes themselves dont really need changing.

As for the deterant factor, yes there are counter arguments, but frankly I think its wise for us to have a few nukes laying around as a back up. Whether we need all of the ones we have is a more important issue I think.
  • Options
    I guess it depends of what kind of deterrent we have in mind. In the past it was all about being able to retaliate if Britain was completely destroyed by a Soviet attack.

In today's climate I keep getting the impression that we'd be looking at either a terrorist group getting hold of and detonating a nuke in Britain (for which our nuclear deterrent is 100% useless) or a rogue state, implausible as it seems to me, deciding to wage nuclear war at Britain for some reason.

Even for this second scenario a handful of nukes would indeed be anything Britain needs. They would not need to be kept on submarines patrolling the world constantly either, for the threat of the entire country being destroyed belongs in the Cold War era.
  • Options
    if it happens, it happens

que sera, sera.
  • Options
    In today's climate I keep getting the impression that we'd be looking at either a terrorist group getting hold of and detonating a nuke in Britain (for which our nuclear deterrent is 100% useless) or a rogue state, implausible as it seems to me, deciding to wage nuclear war at Britain for some reason.

Even for this second scenario a handful of nukes would indeed be anything Britain needs. They would not need to be kept on submarines patrolling the world constantly either, for the threat of the entire country being destroyed belongs in the Cold War era.

Of course, against terrorists our nukes are completely useless, but as Flashman rightly points out the technology is out there and it is wide spread.

Personally I dont see another cold war type senario between the fading US and China all that unlikely.
  • Options
    I guess it depends of what kind of deterrent we have in mind. In the past it was all about being able to retaliate if Britain was completely destroyed by a Soviet attack.

what about tomorrow's climate? Whilst I currently think its unlikely we'll enter a new Cold War by the end of the week, I don't know what the world will look like in twenty years. It's possible to see scenarios where the EU and the US face off, China slips back down the Mao route, a resurgent Russia, EU splits with an expanionist France.

History is full of examples of the world changing
  • Options
    That is true. But since we cannot tell how things are going to turn out in the future we should, IMO of course, try to take the course of action that is thought to be the safest or best for the long term.

I happen to believe that the more nuclear weapons about, the less safe we all are. Therefore by getting rid of our nukes I believe we have a better chance of making the world safer for us all than of being attacked in the future for not having any at our disposal.
  • Options
    That is true. But since we cannot tell how things are going to turn out in the future we should, IMO of course, try to take the course of action that is thought to be the safest or best for the long term.

I happen to believe that the more nuclear weapons about, the less safe we all are. Therefore by getting rid of our nukes I believe we have a better chance of making the world safer for us all than of being attacked in the future for not having any at our disposal.

I think we have a philosophical difference as I believe 'If you want peace, prepare for war'
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    The overwelming part of that is the subs, the missiles and the nukes themselves dont really need changing.

As for the deterant factor, yes there are counter arguments, but frankly I think its wise for us to have a few nukes laying around as a back up. Whether we need all of the ones we have is a more important issue I think.

As per that non proliferation treaty it is against the terms to upgrade the actual warheads, but what you can do is change the delivery methods IIRC. I've *heard* that the Americans have been 'splitting' warheads in R&D and using them as tactical weapons, like those 500lb bombs they use to drop on bunkers... ...but no idea really.

But pretty sure they can only tamper with the actual delivery methods and such.

I think compared to the US we have a relatively tame stockpile, seeing as we have 1/5th the population they do, they have 20x the active nukes we do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_states_with_nuclear_weapons#Estimated_worldwide_nuclear_stockpiles
  • Options
    As I understand it Aladdin we dont actually have any nukes of our own anyway, we rent the warheads from the US.

We own the warheads and the bombs themselves, just not the missiles.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    We own the warheads and the bombs themselves, just not the missiles.

Oh, fair enough - either way we are renting a fairly key part of the system, unless we fancy throwing the bombs at people.
  • Options
    It would make it more interesting
  • Options
    Oh, fair enough - either way we are renting a fairly key part of the system, unless we fancy throwing the bombs at people.

But what is the US going to do? Ask for them back?
  • Options

If we stop paying the rent I assume they would. I guess I was just trying to point out that the cost of the refit of the nuclear deterrant is largely nothing to do with the bombs themselves.
  • Options
    Bring back the Vulcans I say!
  • Options
    No, I can't say I worry at all. I very rarely even think about it.
  • Options
    There's no point in worrying is there? There's nothing we can do to prevent them being used or minimise the damage if they are used.
  • Options

Why would they?

In return for the nukes we rent out Diego Garcia to them, which is incredibly useful. If they did it to us, we'd do it to them.
    We have the ability to build the missiles, just cheaper not to.
  • Options
    Diego Garcia is one of the biggest travesties of justice in living memory. It's nothing short of a disgrace that the UK government is siding with the US and prevening the inhabitants from returning to their land.

As for the nuclear weapons issue, I look at nations such as Spain, Germany, Italy, Canada and countless others and wonder why can't be join them. I've never met a person from those nations who feels unsecure because their country does not have nukes. Indeed, the notion of a nation such as China or Russia attacking them in the future because they have no nukes is too ludicrous for words.

Perhaps Britain needs to become less paranoid and stop believing it'd be invaded if it had no nuclear deterrent. There is no reason to think so, and far too much to be gained from abandoning its nuclear deterrent. £76bn would buy just about everything this country needs.
  • Options
    Diego Garcia is one of the biggest travesties of justice in living memory.

It's also one of the most strategic pieces of land on the planet, for the UK and USA.