Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

bulimia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i can't believe i'm typing this.

i've had an eating disorder for a few years and my diagnosis is ed not-otherwise specified. but i think i'm developing bulimia.

what can i do? there's no point suggesting going to see a doctor because the psychiatrist i have at the moment is shite, infact i don't even know if i'm going back again. i've been getting treatment for my mental health since i was 14 (i'm 19 in october) so i know how it all works. but i can't help thinking if i hadn't been let down (as i see it) then this might not have happened.

so i guess what i want advice on is what i can do to help myself. because i'm scared.

thanks.
:(

Comments

• Options
    if you have been diagnosed ED-NOS then what did they suggest? do you see a therapist? can you not mention this to whoever you see? if you arent seeing anyone then your gp?
    If you want to go it alone then dont restrict, because it only makes the urge to binge worse.
    Distract yourself. Get out of the house, call someone, go for a walk, get in the shower etc.
    Dont have binge foods in the house.
    Try eat regularly.

I recently made a timetable with times allocated for eating. i also have a list of foods that i feel comfortable eating in those particular times. I break it everyday but it is helping to stop my restricting//binging/purging being so outta control and erratic.
  • Options
    I think realising it is a good thing, you're aware that there is a problem at least.
    I don't have any advice for you but I didn't want to leave it unanswered or anything.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    if you have been diagnosed ED-NOS then what did they suggest? do you see a therapist? can you not mention this to whoever you see? if you arent seeing anyone then your gp?

yeah i was referred to the ed unit and i had outpatient therapy for a bit but it wasn't helping me so it stopped. they didn't help me much because i wasn't dangerously ill so i wasn't a priority.

i was seeing a psychologist for therapy (for my general mental health) but she left and i haven't been allocated anything else.

gp - no reason why not. except i'm scared. and i've had bad experiences with doctors.
  • Options
    C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey :wave:

I'm really sorry to hear that you're not well at the moment and I don't blame you for being scared.

Like KHSS said, it's a very postive thing to acknowledge that you have a problem. Bulimia is often a secret illness and sufferers sometimes go for years without telling anyone about it, so you've made your first big step in overcoming it :thumb:

The next thing I would say is you definately need to speak to someone about your eating habits. You've said that you're not to keen on speaking to your doctor at the moment so a good starting point would probably be a helpline. BEAT is a charity for people with eating disorders and you can speak to someone there by calling 0845 634 1414. They're open Monday to Friday 10:30am - 8:30pm.

Have a quick look at our article on bulimia to find out if you're suffering from any of the symptoms, then you can start thinking about what you're going to do next.

Sikorah's suggestion of writing a timetable or a diary will definately help you to understand your eating habits and will give you daily targets.

You're probably familiar with our AskTheSite service, but I would definately advise you to ask a question to give you a few more ideas about how you can overcome an eating disorder.

Really hope everything works out for you and just to say you don't need to be worried about posting these kind of topics on the boards, that's what they're here for.

All the best

:thumb: