Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Viewing a flat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Over the next few days I'm going to loko at rooms for let in shared houses.

I need a list of some good questions to ask, I have all the basics covered like "what's included in the monthly rent" and "is there internet access" lol
I need to make sure I've covered all the bases.

Any good ideas?

Comments

• Options
    If the landlord isn't there to show you around, ask what the landlord is like?
    If you're stuck with a problem outside office hours who will be avaliable to handle your issue? Sounds stupid but you'll be kicking yourself when you friday night realise you can't get hot water until at least monday morning.
    If the property has ever been burgled?
    And if bills aren't included then probably ask how much the bills amount to weekly/monthly?
  • Options
    Check what furniture you're given and where the plug sockets are
  • Options
    Ask about having friends over and over-night visitors, cleaning arrangements (I wish I'd asked this one before I moved in here), shared bills, routine (I mean like are they all rushing to get through the bathroom at the same time in the mornings for example), washing up (do people leave it in the sink forever/ are you allowed to leave it or do you have to do it straight away), does anyone have pets? or children? What are they like? Also you might like to ask about parties, about drugs (like if you want to have big parties with lots of drugs would they mind / want to join in / do you mind living with people who throw big parties), ask where you can store food (is it a cupboard each / do you have to share a fridge?), ask if there are any shared household items (do they share milk for example?) Also how well do they know each other i.e. are you the only one who hasn't known them for years or are they just a bunch or strangers living together? Also ask about the deposit, that sort of thing.
  • Options
    notice period, contract break out clause, check the shower has hot water and decent pressure, try to get bills included if you can it's a lot less hassle, and make sure the landlord's not a tight arse or recent buyer who's gonna squeeze you for more rent when their mortgage goes up....
  • Options
    If you're not a student you should ask ask about what council tax band the property is. Also useful to know about what appliances the place will come with, will it have white goods installed etc.
  • Options
    Are there security alarms/smoke alarms installed? Is there a requirement to have possessions insurance or something? How far away is the nearest supermarket to go food shopping and public transport to get to work, or if you drive where can you park?

I can only second everything Randomgirl has already mentioned since you said you are looking for a room in a shared house! Compared to all the financial stuff they sound small things, but if you move in they are often the first things to niggle/grate on you. My personal one when I lived in a shared house at uni was people leaving lights in every room on unnecessarily. Would add: try to meet all the people you will potentially share with, ask about their routine and bad habits (and consider if you can tolerate them!)
  • Options
    *jotts everything down*

Think I might have to ask if people are gunna strangle me for getting up at 7am every morning and using a hairdryer too! lol
  • Options
    Also ask if anyone plays stupid musical instruments or music in general.

And what the arrangements are for doing laundry - is there a washing machine you can use? Where do you dry the clothes?
  • Options
    SMELL IT! Smell everywhere, under the units in the kitchen, in the cupboards - everywhere. Anything musty is a total no-go because it indicates damp. (the person showing you around will fob you off with 'its not been lived in for a while'). Its likely that you won't smell much because its summer, but if you do then that's even worse because whats it going to be like in winter!

Avoid storage heaters like the plague, they cost you a fortune and you have to spend hours turning them on and off each day. Again the person showing you about will tell you they're economical, which may have been true in 1980 but the fact is most of them haven't been changed since then, or probably even serviced and end up costing you the earth while still living in a freezing flat.

Also check who your utility providers are, and ask if they can be changed - this is a big point at the moment with the bills going up so much.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Avoid storage heaters like the plague, they cost you a fortune and you have to spend hours turning them on and off each day. Again the person showing you about will tell you they're economical, which may have been true in 1980 but the fact is most of them haven't been changed since then, or probably even serviced and end up costing you the earth while still living in a freezing flat.

I think if they are relatively new ones they are ok, I lived in a ten year old flat last year which had storage heaters and they were great. They all had timers, so each person could have their room how they wanted it, and they heated up the room really quick and it stayed hot. They probably were on the slightly costlier side though.
  • Options
    @Randomgirl - What would you regard as "stupid" musical instruments?

@Simmyluvsu - For internet access, ask if one of the tennants has a wireless router. If there isn't a router in the house, then ask the landlord if the house has a phone line. If the house you're interested in is in a built-up urban area, when you might have cable too. Check in the lounge for a cable point. Failing all this, you have mobile internet with any of the major phone providers.
  • Options
    Get an idea of whose living in the house and what they do- whether the place is likely to have certain people around most of the time. Don't be too direct though- talk around the housemates and gauge activity in a typical week. You may want space and not endless activity. Even meet your companions first after provisional agreement to rent-if you feel someone's a psychopath type don't hand over the deposit and make your excuse to quit now!
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    @Randomgirl - What would you regard as "stupid" musical instruments?
    Well the guy in the room next to me when I was doing finals had seven stupid guitars that he would play all the fucking time especially when stoned at 4am in the morning... that's definately stupid cos it woke me up loads!! Actually more a stupid boy than stupid instruments really. But the instruments did help!! Basically anything annoying. I know a group of music students who it seems to be the main cause of arguments, who practices what and when in the house.
  • Options
    Okay, so you mean anti-social times of the day.

So yes, not really the instruments themselves, but at what time they're being played. Same goes with music being played on a hi-fi. As long as it's not after 11PM or before 7AM, I'd be inclined to join in for a bit of a jamming session.

And no, I don't smoke weed :-)