Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

pocket money

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Did you ever do chores around the house to earn your pocket money or did you just get it anyway?
I just got it anyway really unless I'd really been badly behaved.

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I did anyway, but sometimes there was more if I did something to help. Rarely though. (Not that I didn't do things to help anyway; I mean it was the rare thing that got me a "raise").
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It was generally accepted that I would help around the house anyway aside from my pocket money - but then that was cut off when my mum found some cigs in my room. "I'm not paying for you to kill yourself" so I had to go out and get a job to afford to kill myself.
    I never got pocket money.
    I didn't get pocket money on a regular basis either - my parents did give me money from time to time to do stuff but it was never a set ammount each week - it was more when i wanted it i got it - i don't ever particually remember not having enough money for stuff - but it wasnt' like I got a tenner a week and nothing else.

When i got to 18 my parents gave me a credit card which they paid for because as i quote my mother - "I can't be bothered to take you shopping for clothes anymore". Oddly they didn't give one to my sister so i used to have to buy her clothes as well!
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I didn't get pocket money on a regular basis either - my parents did give me money from time to time to do stuff but it was never a set ammount each week - it was more when i wanted it i got it - i don't ever particually remember not having enough money for stuff - but it wasnt' like I got a tenner a week and nothing else.
    This was the case until I was 13 or so, actually.
    i used to get £1.50 from my dad every saturday until i was old enough to earn my own money-ie once i had a paper round. but i also used to little things for my mum ie washing the car..got paid a fiver :D
    Also thinking about it on top of this i could also earn money by doing things like ironing etc I also used to clean my nan's flat and have big arguments with her about how i didn't want to be paid for doing it....

But i was a pretty spoilt teenager really - but then i don't think i particually ever asked for extortionate money for stuff - most of the things i got were more my parents saying let us buy this for you rather than me going - will you buy this for me - if that make sense.
    I'd be the same, never got a set amount. If I wanted a couple of quid to go to the shop or to a teen disco my mum would give me it but there was never a routine to it.
    I had a paper round at 13, a summer job at 14/15 (and the paper round) and worked at a 'proper' part time job as soon as I was old enough to.

I got a bit of pocket money. I think it was about £30/month or something, but that stopped when my lad left when I was 14/15.
    g_angel wrote: »
    when my lad left when I was 14/15.

You've got no cock? Poor man.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I'd be the same, never got a set amount. If I wanted a couple of quid to go to the shop or to a teen disco my mum would give me it but there was never a routine to it.

I was the same. Didn't suffer from it. Quite the opposite, for me it worked out best that way.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Never got pocket money really. Just asked for cash when I needed it until I started working.
    Used to work on the farm from the age of 13.
    Weekender Offender 
    I used to get £20 a month but I was meant to clean the cars every week (got out of that most of the time) and that was also to pay for all our phone calls made on the landline etc...
    When I was about 13 I had a notebook which I kept a log of all the chores I'd done that week, and my parents 'paid' me for each chore. In the end I had saved up enough money to buy a pair of plaform boots that I'd be lusting after for months. It was my biggest purchase to date; around £100 for some boots, and by God was I proud to have them!

I didn't really do any more chores after that though lol and even now my parents have to ask me to do stuff lol.
    I used to get pocket money regardless once I was 12/13. I used to be about £5 a week plus my paper round money. Got a Saturday job at 16 and stopped getting money then.
    Out of interest did those of you who got pocket money have to pay for things like a bus pass and your school lunch out of it - just becuase a fiver a week seems really low if you have to include that as well!
    I never ever got pocket money. I had to mug old folk for cash, as my father did before me and his father did before him.
    Out of interest did those of you who got pocket money have to pay for things like a bus pass and your school lunch out of it - just becuase a fiver a week seems really low if you have to include that as well!

I live over the road from my secondary school so I didnt have far to travel, went home for lunch or had packed lunch most days, if I needed to eat at school I used to get a bit extra to cover it.
    i dont remember how much pocket money i used to get, all i remember is doing my paper round every day and getting £7 a week for the privilege. my mum would give me £2.50 a day when i was at school for bus fare and to buy my dinner. she'd buy me clothes and stuff occasionally though too.
    Nah. Doing the chores was my responsibility for being part of the family or something like that.
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    I was the same. Didn't suffer from it. Quite the opposite, for me it worked out best that way.

:yes:

I feel the same way.
    No, I never received any pocket money. Explains why I'm such a stingy bastard now. :p

I had to pay that with about £3 a week, which didn't really add up because I had to get 5 buses a day which cost 50p. My mum just said "make it add up, I have to." Strangely enough I managed to get to school everyday
    Before then I used to get £2:50 a week, but more often than not I'd have to give it back within a few days. I was expected to do chores anyway, I think my mum wanted to have the money to pay me for them. My nan used to randomly give me money sometimes, about £5 2 or 3 times a year.
    I got about £5 a week pocket money but if I needed money for other things I'd get that too and I didn't have to pay for my own clothes or anything, I was quite spoilt!

My mum gave me about £3 a day for my bus fair to school and also for my dinners. I used to get money for bus fare to mates houses if I didn't have any left.

I got pocket money when I was little and that was for spending on stuff for me, not like bus fares and school lunches (did anyone else used to take theirs in a camera film tube?). Then when I got to about 14 I had an monthly allowance which was more but it covered EVERYTHING. My mum used to buy me the odd pair of jeans when we were shopping sometimes though

I remember when we went on holiday we'd get spending money at the start of the week too
    kangoo wrote: »
    I got pocket money when I was little and that was for spending on stuff for me, not like bus fares and school lunches (did anyone else used to take theirs in a camera film tube?). Then when I got to about 14 I had an monthly allowance which was more but it covered EVERYTHING. My mum used to buy me the odd pair of jeans when we were shopping sometimes though

I remember when we went on holiday we'd get spending money at the start of the week too

Mine was more like this too. When I was about 13 I used to get a monthly allowance instead for everything. I got a part time job at 15 but still got my allowance until I started sixth form when it got used to pay for my bus fare.

We used to share out jobs for pocket money before my Mum and Dad split up (when I was about 12) but then I used to do stuff around the house anyway because Dad didn't have enough time and someone had to do the hoovering/empty the dishwasher/make dinner.
    I got money monthly, but worked out dependent on the number of weeks in the month. Was never very much though, I think I got about £20 a month when I was 17/18. When I was younger that was much much less - things like £5 a month, went up by about 20p each birthday!

My mum wouldn't let me have a job whilst I was at school or college cos she wanted me to be able to concentrate fully on my studies. I had enough extra curicular things that distracted me anyway let alone finding time for a job. So she'd buy all my clothes, always had packed lunches for school and she didn't really approve of me going out anyway so didn't want me having money to spend on alcohol.

We were always just expected to help round the house and my mum didn't think we should have to be bribed with money to do chores, rather families should pull together and everyone get stuck in if there was stuff to do.
    Dear Wendy wrote: »

yeah, same here.

Started working in a pub kitchen when i was 13.
    I get £10 off my grandma every Sunday :D
    Seems like i was really well off as a kid then, i got given £30 a month and £5 a week plus bus fairs (but this was back when the bus was like 30p a fair) and dinner monies. It was expected i'd help around the house and stuff anyway as standard though so i was always cleaning the car or mowing the lawn