Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Moving out

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Due to numerous family problems, that have been going on for some time, I feel like I've finally amde the sensible decision and have given it plenty of thought and it's best if I move out.

My main problem is that I don't know where to start, my second problem is that after tax my basic wage is only £600. Normally, I can get my monthly bonus up to £150, pulling my wage up. There's no chance I'm going to be able to afford to rent somewhere privately so was thinking of housing associations or maybe flat sharing?

Help?! lol

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Flat/house sharing might be your best bet, ask around and see if you can find anywhere, or try your local paper etc.

Make a budget, so rent/coucil tax/bills/meals/travel etc and see if you can afford it. Most places will want a deposit and/or months rent up front as well.

I dont know if/what benefits you may be entitled to if you move out.
    Some housing associations and church denominations run hostels providing accomodation. May be limited to 2 years. You'll paying for private bedroon and use communal facilities- should be cheaper than going for flat in private sector. Gives you a breather till something permanent arises.
    Your earnings are not a lot to live off. I'm guessing you're on minimum wage. What I did when I moved out was to get a job that provided staff accommodation. I worked for Peel hotels. I was on minimum wage and paid £20 a week for my board in the staff house which is nothing! Bills were included, although I had to share a room and a bathroom and there was no kitchen (you had meals at the hotel in the staff room). There was a microwave in case you missed the staff meal! Everything was basic to say the least! In the room were 2 beds, a clothes rail and a sink. But it was sooooo cheap :thumb: