Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Vegetarian high protein foods

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Which vegetarian foods are high in protein? I wanna cut down on my meat eating, but I don't wanna reduce my intake of this vital nutrient.

Is it generally the case that vegetarians don't get enough protein in their diet?

Comments

• Options
    Funny you should make this post I was thinking about the same thing today. ;)

I found some pages when googling it, this is a site which has a list and some explanations.

If it's just meat you want to cut down on then dairy and eggs are also supposed to be a good source of protein.
  • Options
    Hey I was also thinking about this yesterday! I think things like chickpeas and beans are quite high in protein, then obviously milk, eggs and other dairy products. The vegetarian society has a list here
  • Options
    quinoa apparently
  • Options
    Aren't quorn and tofu quite high in protein?
  • Options
    I've been vegetarian for about 12 years, I probably don't get enough protein but the best sources are nuts and pulses (so chick peas, lentils, baked beans etc), eggs and dairy (but you should try not to eat too much dairy).

Tofu is a good source, so is quorn (although quorn is processed so tofu is a more natual alternative).
  • Options
    Anything soya related is high in protein: milk, beans, tofu etc.

Broccoli is filled with a ridiculous amount of vitamins and minerals as well - just as a general tip!
  • Options
    frozen soy beans from tesco - you can steam them, boil them or add them to any kind of sauce you are cooking. They're really good for fibre as well.
  • Options
    Just be aware there are a lot of reports linking soy consumption with health problems for men.
  • Options
    Any links for that g_angel ???

Soya
    Tofu
    Quorn
    Cottage Cheese
    Eggs
    Milk
    Cheese
    etc
  • Options
    I tried cottage cheese today and it was not very pleasant. :sour:
    I was expecting it to taste like cheese.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Just be aware there are a lot of reports linking soy consumption with health problems for men.

Be sure to pass on the message to china and japan then...
  • Options

I remembered reading about this the other day when I saw this thread...here you go:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7519459.stm
  • Options
    i am no vegetarian but from what i have heard before is that there are different types of proteins, for instance, the protein from fish is different from the protein in soya. is this true?
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    I remembered reading about this the other day when I saw this thread...here you go:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7519459.stm

As mentioned in the article, if it really did affect fertility and health that much, then something must be up, seeing as China has the world's largest population, and other countries around that area don't seem to have much trouble conceiving.
  • Options
    As mentioned in the article, if it really did affect fertility and health that much, then something must be up, seeing as China has the world's largest population, and other countries around that area don't seem to have much trouble conceiving.

it is possible that men from asia is somewhat immune to any detrimental effects from eating soy beans since it has been part of their diet for generations. the article does not mention the limitations of the findings though.
  • Options

Here is an interesting article, with plenty of references cited with regards to the negative health impacts of soy.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459861

Some links:

http://www.healthdimensions.com.au/a/186.html

As usual, if you google it, there are plenty of arguments both for and against. I seem to find more of the negative reports actually have better research cited.
  • Options
    Adults usually eat more protein than they actually need. I've been vegetarian for many years and have no health problems - its easier to stay slim too. I eat more quorn now than I used to as my husband is a meat-eater. I eat free-range eggs and probably more cheese than I should, but also chickpeas (in hummus normally) aduki beans (in homemade red dragon pie and aduki and mushroom burgers), TVP/soya mince/quorn mince in things like spaghetti bolognaise and chilli sans carne, green lentils in home made burgers and shepherds pie (bit of an acquired taste, green lentils), red kidney beans in chilli, white beans/haricot beans/tinned refried beans in tortillas, sunflower seeds as a crunchy topping on cheese sauce and I have three nut roast recipes depending on whether I fancy brazil nuts, cashew nuts or hazel nuts. I also eat pre-made frozen Tescos nut cutlets, vegetable quarter pounders, vegetable grills and Linda McCartney sausages (best for barbecuing as they have more fat than the quorn ones) oh, and baked beans of course. Dhal (lentils or yellow peas) in Indian takeaways. There is also protein in potatoes, brown bread and brown rice. If you get a good mixture of foods you should be fine.

Happy to share any recipes people want.
  • Options
    I was surfing and came across this. It's a response to the claims that soya is bad for mens health by the Soya protein Association.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/jul/26/foodtech.medicalresearch

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    would love a recipe for red dragon pie, flynn...