Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mamma Mia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone been to see it? I'm going tonight :hyper:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I have.
    Be prepared to do some serious cringing, but Meryl Streep is great :)
  • Options
    Hehe is it bad?
  • Options
    Well, I did enjoy most of it and laughed out loud a few times...but some of it was so cheesy I did feel my toes curling. Fair play to people in the cast who obviously aren't singers for giving the singing a go, but some of it was so awful everybody in the audience started laughing even though it was meant to be quite serious! It's a happy film though, and like I said Meryl Streep is wicked. I'm sure you'll have fun watching it :) Most other people I know who went to see it thought it was brilliant.
  • Options
    Haha ok, well I love Abba so I'll prob be singing along too :) Woo, I've got free tickets so even if its traj I won't mind :D
  • Options
    haha i agree with stupidgirl, it was more than a little cringey, especially when they break into song every 5 minutes BUT thats what the film is about and considering they're abba songs you can have a good singalong. its cheesy but its feelgood and i was grinning most of the way through.

at the end people in the cinema got up and started dancing and singing haha, never seen that before!
  • Options
    at the end people in the cinema got up and started dancing and singing haha, never seen that before!

roffle even i was up and bopping although i had been in the bar beforehand.

it's one of those films that is so bad it's good. boys will hate it :thumb:
  • Options
    Random bit of information:

My ex-girlfriend is one of the singers/dancers in the movie. Well proud of how well she is doing for herself, as she was also in the Golden Compass. :)
  • Options
    LOL yeah my boyfriend refused to go so my friend is coming up to see it with me :) I am partial to a bit of cheese so I will prob love it :thumb:
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »
    roffle even i was up and bopping although i had been in the bar beforehand.

it's one of those films that is so bad it's good. boys will hate it :thumb:

Ah, my boyfriend loved it, but possibly because he saw how much I enjoyed it and he loves seeing me happy :)

xXx
  • Options
    Ah, my boyfriend loved it, but possibly because he saw how much I enjoyed it and he loves seeing me happy :)

xXx

Aw thats sweet. I don't think my boyfriend's love for me quite stretches to going to see Mamma Mia, even though I went to see blade 3 with him and that was bloody awful :impissed: . He did give me and my friend his two free cinema tickets to go though, probably just grateful that he doesn't have to go and watch it himself!
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I'd rather stab my eyes out, to be fair.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I'd rather stab my eyes out, to be fair.
    :lol: That was exactly my boyfriend's reaction when I told him what it was all about...
  • Options
    Saw it last night and it was AMAZING! Sooooooo cheesy though, everyone was laughing all the way through! I didn't find it cringy, but it was hilarious. Can't wait for it to come out on DVD :D
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    I didn't find it cringy

Seriously? Even when Pierce Brosnan started singing?!?
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    LOL yeah my boyfriend refused to go so my friend is coming up to see it with me :) I am partial to a bit of cheese so I will prob love it :thumb:

My sister and her husband enjoy marital bliss by finding two films showing at the same time at the cinema and seeing different films simultaneously :thumb: They go together, get the popcorn together etc, it's not as if you actually talk much whilst the film is on.
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    Seriously? Even when Pierce Brosnan started singing?!?

haha that was one of the best bits!
  • Options
    I've seen the musical and the movie and think I actually preferred the movie as it had more jokes in the script and the audience was more involved...ie. few drinkies beforehand! Really enjoyed it and stayed for a sing along at the end when the cast do the encore haha. :o
  • Options
    I really enjoyed it. Didn't intend to see it, but had to accompany a group for work purposes. Was good escapism.
  • Options
    It truely is so bad that it is good.

Think I'm going to go to see the musical in London if can get some cheap-ish tickets. See what it matches up to.
  • Options
    I saw it tonight, really enjoyed it. I can see how it could be cringey though, but if you just go with it's really good. Except for maybe the final songs at the very end, I couldn't help but cringe watching Pierce Brosnan then :blush:
  • Options
    I thought it was Brosnans best film outing since Goldeneye.

(genuinely thought mamma mia was ok)