Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Can Spurs improve next season even though some of their best players might leave?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Robinson has left, Keane looks like he's going and this Berbatov thing hasn't died down yet. I was thinking Spurs could improve on last season and get a top six place and now Keane has left (who was one of their main goal threats) it's going to be harder to improve on last season's mid-table place, isn't it?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I think that they could potentially improve purely because of the fact that it's Ramos' first full season and pre-season. Losing the strikeforce is a huge blow, but Darren Bent is potentially a 20 goal a season striker if given the chances, so they'd only need one more striker. Ramos seems to be buying quality, whereas his predecessors seemed to buy a huge number of midfielders without ever improving the quality of the starting 11 considerably. Modric is a definite improvement over what they've already got, and they've also been linked with Arshavin who would be expensive but potentially that link between midfield and attack that Berbatov plays. But Spurs' main problem is defence. They've never had a solid and consistant one, even though on paper Woodgate and King is a great partnership, because King is always injured and Woodgate isn't much better. I think whether they're successful or not will depend on that more than anything, because they'll always score goals.

But you've also got to consider the competition.

Everton: head and shoulders above the rest of the chasing pack tbh. Moyes never seems to come up with the spectacular signing, but always improves the team steadily, so it's impossible to tell how well he does in the transfer window. But a key point is that none of their players are being poached by the top teams.

Aston Villa: brilliant last season, but losing Barry would be a huge blow. Also quite lucky with injuries last season, considering how small their squad is.

Pompey: losing Muntari is a blow, but Redknapp always has a habit of creating a good squad. Rock solid defence, creative midfield, and the man to knock them in courtesy of Spurs.

Blackburn: without much money, losing a quality manager, and potentially getting half of their best players poached, I can't see an improvement on last season tbh.

Man City: a fairly stable squad from last season, without any reports of key players leaving. Suffered a dip in form last season mainly due to the defence being absolutely decimated from mid-season onwards. Huge budget combined with Mark Hughes' record in the transfer market. As a fan, I'm optimistic. Already bought a new striker for £20. Just need a few more positions and we'll be sorted, but we're being linked with genuinely class players.

West Ham: decent squad, but a second successive "bad luck with injuries" season makes you wonder whether it's actually bad luck, or bad practices. A good squad all round, but I just don't see any of the genuinely class players of some of the other teams.

Sorry Newcastle fans, but I still think you're shit.

One thing that interests me about the new season is Carlos Queiroz leaving. I might be mistaken, but last time he left Utd, didn't they turn a bit shit? Or was that just a coincidence?
  • Options
    Spurs don't need to do much to improve on last season in the league but if you judge success on trophies then they won one last year and probably won't win anything this year so they'll do worse.

Keane and Berbatov are great players and it's understandable they want to play Champions League football.

If they can bring in some decent players to replace them there is a possibility of 7th with Everton and Aston Villa taking the other places behind the big 4. They may even manage 5th again, certainly not top 4.
  • Options
    One thing that interests me about the new season is Carlos Queiroz leaving. I might be mistaken, but last time he left Utd, didn't they turn a bit shit? Or was that just a coincidence?

If turning a bit shit means being largely decimated by key injuries (e.g. Scholes), having to replace ageing or departed payers (e.g. Keane, Beckham), and waiting for young players to grow up (e.g. Ronaldo), then yes, United were a bit shit. Quieroz was around when the squad was healthy and settled. Good coach but it's doing Fergie a major disservice to suggest Quieroz was tipping the balance between success and failure. Quieroz is a loss, but if he was that good, United would have just guaranteed him the manager's job he wants, or better yet, gave him the manager's job right away.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    If turning a bit shit means being largely decimated by key injuries (e.g. Scholes), having to replace ageing or departed payers (e.g. Keane, Beckham), and waiting for young players to grow up (e.g. Ronaldo), then yes, United were a bit shit. Quieroz was around when the squad was healthy and settled. Good coach but it's doing Fergie a major disservice to suggest Quieroz was tipping the balance between success and failure. Quieroz is a loss, but if he was that good, United would have just guaranteed him the manager's job he wants, or better yet, gave him the manager's job right away.

Well maybe they've took a look at Gordon Brown and Steve McLaren and realised that a good number 2 isn't always a good number 1. Ah, just realised that 03/04 was the season when Arsenal were the best team in the world. I suspect that had more than a little bit to do with it.
  • Options
    I have a bet on that newcastle will finish 10pts or more above the boro this season.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    I have a bet on that newcastle will finish 10pts or more above the boro this season.

I reckon you'll lose that bet. 10 points is huge in mid table. And no offence, but Newcastle aren't gonna be anywhere above mid-table. Boro looked good last season, especially after Alves signed.
  • Options
    I think its very difficult to speculate whether a team will be good or not before the season begins, most of us thought Spurs would be the team battling all the way to get in the top 4 last season and they did fuck all in the league!

Losing Keane to Liverpool is a massive blow, and I'll tell you my point of view right now, this could be the buy of the season IMO, I think Keane and Torres are gonna be awesome together.

Once again, without my own team being involved in the premiership, I'm hoping for another tight title race (hopefully more than 2 teams involved this time), a tight finish for the Champions league spots and also a tight releagation battle, fingers crossed eh!
  • Options
    I think its very difficult to speculate whether a team will be good or not before the season begins, most of us thought Spurs would be the team battling all the way to get in the top 4 last season and they did fuck all in the league!

Really? I'd check the premiership predictions thread again. :p
  • Options
    Well maybe they've took a look at Gordon Brown and Steve McLaren and realised that a good number 2 isn't always a good number 1. Ah, just realised that 03/04 was the season when Arsenal were the best team in the world. I suspect that had more than a little bit to do with it.

Yes, Arsenal's one-season wonder, and the dawn of the Abramovich era obviously made things very difficult, when coupled with our own problems. All in all, hardly fair to point the finger at Quieroz's absence.
  • Options
    Really? I'd check the premiership predictions thread again. :p
    I did and no-one predicted everything right and most of us got quite a lot of it wrong! No-one backed Pompey for the FA cup, only maybe Addict had Scum as Double winners, every1 said Spurs would be there or there abouts but wouldn't break into the top 4 and they were nowhere near the top 4, don't think anyone got all the European places and don't think anyone got all the relegation places, think some of us had teams relegated who might have got in Europe or thereabouts (this is all off top of my head so I'll be happy to be prooved wrong), think only me predicted Spurs for the Carling cup :yippe: but it really is guess work.
    So my point again, until the season starts its all guess work and anyone can have a guess, even the "experts" get it seriously wrong a lot of the time, football is football and no-one in this world can predict what is going to happen from game to game, we can have a punt at how we think it might turn out but no-one ever really knows.
  • Options
    Good points. :)

I suppose it's too early to say who would do what next season. It's like everybody saying Arsenal would struggle, but I see little reason why they can't do well. For all we know, this could finally be the season they win the Champions League lol.