Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

CRB check needed to help kids club?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello

I have been helping at a kids sports club for several months without a CRB check being mentioned. I also train with the club which is how I ended up helping the kids class too. I just ended up helping the kids if I arrived a bit early and now I help with the whole class if I finish work in time. Today a friend was really shocked that I was allowed to help the kids class without having been asked to get a CRB check done.

Is it a legal requirement that all helpers who work with children have a CRB check? I have had several enhanced checks done (the most recent was about 18 months ago) and I am not worried about having one done now if it is needed so that isn't an issue. I was just a bit surprised that someone was so shocked I was being allowed to help with children without the club running a check, especially as the kids parents are always present. I never take the class nor am I ever the only adult present as the instructor and parents are always there too so I assumed that I wouldn't need to be CRB checked.

Just wondered if anyone knew if it was policy for anyone who is just helping out must be CRB checked. As I said it isn't an issue should the instructor want me to get an up to date one or provide a copy of my most recent but am more interested in whether it should have been asked for already.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like the pc brigade again.
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    Sounds like the pc brigade again.
    That's what I thought but then worried in case I was being too laid back about it all. Thanks :)
  • Options
    If you are ever left alone with any children then you should have one. It would be recommended to have one any way, but not essential if you aren't left alone with any children. It would also depend on the type of club that it is. If it is one where there is any physical contact, then you should also have one.
  • Options
    yes you should have one. Id be pretty pissed off if i left my kids at a kids club where the people hadnt been crb checked
  • Options
    It is good practise and it should be in the club's child protection policy that anyone coming into regular contact with the children should be cleared.

This applies for working jobs, qualified staff or not and also for voluntary sector such as girlguiding & scouting, youth clubs etc.

To be honest, it is really bad practice that the person in charge has not requested a CRB clearance. I bet a lot of parent's wouldn't be too happy with that. It is also very common that the actual workplace or manager will want to request their OWN CRB e.g. you have to fill out the forms etc all over again rather than just accepting one from another organisation.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    yes you should have one. Id be pretty pissed off if i left my kids at a kids club where the people hadnt been crb checked

God yes.

In fact, alarm bells should start ringing when places don't ask you to complete a form.
  • Options
    The parents don't leave their kids there. They stay and watch - instructor won't let kids take part if parents aren't present.
  • Options
    oh thats a bit different if parents have to stay
  • Options
    oh thats a bit different if parents have to stay

Hmmmm, I think I'd still prefer the staff to be checked, though.
  • Options
    God yes.

In fact, alarm bells should start ringing when places don't ask you to complete a form.
    It is 6 children, all with their parents present, so I am not sure why alarm bells should start ringing when another student (adult) is asked to retrieve the balls when they play catch etc. That is the extent of my helping. As I said in my original post I am not left alone with the children at any time and every child has a parent/guardian sitting in the hall watching them.
  • Options
    Hmmmm, I think I'd still prefer the staff to be checked, though.
    I'm not staff though!
  • Options
    I'm with you on this one I think. There is no scenario where you'd even be alone with the children, you are not responsible for them in any way and by the sounds of it the contact you have with them is minimal. It's the company's responsibility to CRB you if they feel it necessary and whoever is so shocked should stop being so square. It's a shame you can't even give someone a hand these days without people panicking...
  • Options
    The ridiculously over the top PC brigade would expect you to have one, but then they want you to have one anytime you go anywhere near a child.

If you are an casual helper, do not work unsupervised with children, are never alone with them and do not act in loco parentis then there is no need for you to have one.

The important bit is not to get yourself in a one to one position with a child (as in out of sight of others), but that's good practise for everyone, CRBd or not.
  • Options
    Ok, fair enough then. If you aren't going to be alone with the children and stuff, then there is no real need for it. I misunderstood because I didn't read it properly! Sorry.
  • Options
    The important bit is not to get yourself in a one to one position with a child (as in out of sight of others), but that's good practise for everyone, CRBd or not.

What a sad state of affairs we're in...

I know it's never been 'glorious' and children have never had it better than they do now, but the fact that an adult needs to be careful not to be caught alone with a kid because they might be accused of god knows what...
  • Options
    It's not just with children, anything involving vulnerable adults you have to be CRBd for. Sad fact is, one of the places I volunteer, I've been CRBd for but I'm also at risk from the service users. After being there a year, I've only just been told that one is considered a risk and should not be alone with them...

I'm about 99% sure it is now law for all organisations to carry out their own seperate CRB, which is understandable but can be ridiculous at times - to the point where I recieved one week for one organisation and the following week I had to fill out a form for another!

In reply to the original post - you aren't being left alone with the kids so I don't see an issue.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »

I know it's never been 'glorious' and children have never had it better than they do now, but the fact that an adult needs to be careful not to be caught alone with a kid because they might be accused of god knows what...
    well it helps to cut down a risk. Whats the problem???
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »

As a teacher we are advised to be careful when we are alone with a single child. Sometimes you are alone with a child and we are advised to leave the door open or, in some cases, have a TA milling about.

We had an incident in school last year where a parent accused a teacher of hitting their child. Now, said teacher would never do such a thing and it was the child's word against the teacher. Eventually, after police interviews and the like (for the teacher) the child backed down and said he made it up.

You can never be too careful sometimes.
  • Options
    I've just started working in schools as a schools liason officer and I had to be checked again....

So I expect you need one too, although if you had one done 18 months ago it should still be valid. Didn't you get any paperwork?
  • Options
    Just to clear up a few things.

CRB forms have no valididity, they are only good as the day they are done, it's advised by CRB that they shouldn't be transferred from one organisation to another, mainly for that reason, and for voluntary stuff they are free.
  • Options
    I think it's a problem because it puts some people off volunteering, especially those with minor past convictions (nothing to do with children).

Delays in getting back CRBs can also be a big problem, as well as the expense of getting them.
  • Options
    Scary just said they're free if you're volunteering.

I wasn't aware they weren't transferrable, but then all my checks were done in-house.
  • Options
    I've just had a hunt about, and it appears checks for volunteers are free but ....
    However, some customers are applying for free-of-charge checks for posts that do not appear to meet the criteria. The CRB is cracking down to ensure that a fee is paid whenever it is appropriate.

The CRB definition of a volunteer is: "Any person engaged in an activity which involves spending time, unpaid (except for travel and other approved out of pocket expenses), which aims to benefit some third party other than or in addition to a close relative".

It is sometimes assumed that, as the person is not directly employed or salaried the position is voluntary. However, if the person engaging in the activity receives a payment, in excess of expenses they actually incur, or benefits directly themselves, the position will not satisfy the CRB’s definition of a volunteer.

It goes on to explain how people doing work experience or similar things do not count as voluteers as that is primarily for their own personal benefit. Am I right in thinking your voluntary service dept is something to do with the IB? In which case doing service for your IB would count as personal benefit.
  • Options
    No, but if you're at a college that does the IB then I would guess that the CRB see placements they organise as ones for IB credit.

If you went direct to Riding for the Disabled and they needed a CRB from you then they wouldn't be charged for it, if that makes sense?
  • Options
  • Options
    Scouting association get them done free.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    I have gone direct to the charity in each case, none of it is organised through school

If you volunteer direct with a charity for no personal gain then the charity won't have to pay for CRBs they get done for you.

That's what as Mr G says, Scouting get pretty much all of theirs done free. Some organisations chose to run their CRBs through an agency, and the agency charge for all of them but if you deal direct with CRB then they are free for volunteers.

That said, still puts people off, they are notorious for coming back wrong, and there is a very poor general understanding of what comes up, particularly on an enhanced one which can often make anyone who have ever had their collar felt or had any dealings with the authorities wary of filling in the forms.

That and the forms are a nightmare, all well and good if you live at one address and have a photocard driving license and current passport but if not then proving your identity can start to be a real hassle.
  • Options
  • Options
    Katy is right in that it is putting potential volunteers off. There was a BBC article discussing the same topic not too long ago. It's not just the possible cost, it's the hassle. Having filled in far more CRB forms than I would like due to various jobs, to then have to repeat the process again and again for something that I was volunteering for might well be a deciding factor in not bothering full stop.

its possible, but i think the benefits outweigh the risks.
  • Options
    I'm not convinced.

CRB check teachers etc, but the way things are going now where some people expect any adult who's not a parent and gets anywhere near a child to be CRB checked and you start putting people off helping out at the odd session. Lose that level of volunteering and you lose the way most people start.