Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

pictures

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My (now) ex boyfriend has been sending explicit pictures and videos of me (and sometimes him) to people through sites such as facebook and bebo. I want to go to the police but I don't know where I stand with this? Can anyone help me?

Comments

• Options
    I have had this happen to me. And not only was it deeply embarrassing but difficult to prove I had not given my boyfriend prior permission to do so. But I never gave him permission though won.

Can you remember when he took those explicit pictures? Did you allow him to but did you expressly say never to publish them on the internet without your permission? It is all too easy when sexed out to say almost anything especially in mid-lust when your boyfriend got his camera in close just like mine did. Recalling what happened then will help you prepare for when you get to speak to a professional. Like a lawyer, maybe. Or, since I have been living in England, seen someone in the Citizen's Advice Bureau.

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

They will be able to offer you good advice FIRST - before you see the police. And they will give you practical information on how to proceed. Also contact Facebook and Myspace legal department to see if they can do anything for your boyfriend may be infringing their members' privacy policy. Treat this as harrassment.

As for me, I never gave my (then) boyfriend permission to share my photos around to any of his friends let alone publish them on the internet. I took out a private prosecution that landed him with a mighty fine, payment in the form of damages.

Best,
    Poppi
  • Options
    Telecommunications Act 1984, s.43 makes it a criminal offence to use a public
    telecommunications network to send 'grossly offensive, threatening or obscene' material, and a
    'public telecommunications network is widely enough defined to cover Internet traffic which goes
    through phone lines or other cables.

If the pictures are of an explicit nature, and you or others are offended by them then he can be prosecuted.
  • Options
    Also facebook ban obscene content and I think they can stop thestuff being sent through there.
  • Options
    Generic comment about it being a valuable lesson etc etc..