Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tightening a brake cable

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a pushbike and the front brake doesn't work, when I pull the brake the blocks move but not enough to slow down the wheel so I'm assuming the cable needs tightening

I've done a bit of a google search but found it all a bit confusing, although apparently its a simple enough job. Can anyone explain to me how I can do it?

Thank you muchos :)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You don’t mention if your cycle brakes are the plain rubber-encased rim rubbers or the cantilever type.

If they are rubber, rubbing on your bike’s wheel rim will require adjustment of the brake cable. I’d use an adjustable wrench or a hex wrench. It’s easy. First loosen the nut holding the brake cable to the brake itself. Allow the cable to loosen slightly and then re-secure the nut.

Right in front of the handlebar brake lever is a screw adjuster through which the brake cable passes. Turn the adjuster counter-clockwise to add tension. By this way you increase braking power to the brake cable.

Now try the brakes for sufficient tension. If you can pull the brake lever all the way back to the handlebar, continue adding tension. However, if the adjuster doesn't add enough tension, the brake cable must be pulled tighter - but up at the brake itself up on the handlebar. Return the adjuster to the middle of its adjustment range by giving it a few clockwise turns which should do it.

In time the brake cable will stretch and by this I mean, metal fatigue could mean danger. By far the cheapest, safest means buy a new brake cable. They don’t cost much.

Best,
    Poppi