Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Travel Insurance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi

I go on holiday in less than 3 weeks and I need to sort out my travel insurance.
I'm going to Ibiza for 10 days.

I have been off work for 9 weeks but back on a part time basis just now, as I have had 9 chest infections in less than a year due to my asthma playing up - have a bad cough that isn't fully under control (however touch wood its ok the now!!)

What travel insurance is best? Should I declare that I have asthma and have been ill or would my E1/11 cover it?

I'm quite pickled!!

Thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    You could always mention about your asthma to the insurers, least then it'll cover your own back, you should get the same price im pretty sure the price only goes up for people with severe conditions (i know asthma can be severe but i doubt it's quite up there on the scale with angina and suchlike). I dont think there is a 'best' travel insurance either really, from what ive seen they all seem around the same sort of price so just take your pick..and let me know if you happen to stumble upon a bargain as i need some of that myself for a trip to malia in september!
  • Options
    TBh in europe most of your medical costs will be picked up through the e111 scheme anyway so i wouldnt' worry that much - it only becomes important if they need to repatriate you back to the uk for whatever reason.

Otherwise as icey said there is no real good insurance company - what you need to check is the excess you have to pay and how much they will cover things like your luggage being stolen etc
  • Options
    If you go on moneysupermarket.com you can put your details in and it will show you all the insurance companies and what they can offer you. I did mine with Columbus Direct - £9.85 for me and my fella.
  • Options
    Endsleigh is worth looking at, I know when I had had some health problems they had the least restrictions.
  • Options
    Thank!
    Thats what I thought about the E1/11 I did a quote one M & S cos I've got credit on my card lol and it worked out £6 more when I said I had asthma and had been on antibiotics etc this year :(
    I'm gonna try moneysupermarket etc and maybe phone them up to ask about asthma
    Thanks again!
  • Options
    Also, you know it's now the EHIC not the E111 (the plastic card not the piece of paper) and it takes a few weeks to come thruogh?
  • Options
    The E111 card doesn't necessarily mean you get free treatment, it depends on the country you're in. I had an accident in Poland, the only nearby doctors was a private one, so I had to pay for treatment and a tetanus jab.

I'm going to the USA for 5 weeks, does £48 (with a 20% discount, so about £39), sound like a good deal for travel insurance??
  • Options
    Endsleigh is worth looking at, I know when I had had some health problems they had the least restrictions.

Did you actually ever try making a claim with them though?

When I had a car accident and was insured with them they took over 5 months to sort out something really basic and didn't actually do anything until the other party got so sick of waiting they sent a court summons.

Some companies are easy to sign up to but how well they perform when it time to make a claim can be a totally different matter.
  • Options
    I've not claimed, but I've got friends who have on their travel insurance and have so far only heard good things about it.

Had a nightmare with their bike insurance with my brother, and my experience so far is that for car claims where you are or might be liable most car insurance companies take for ever.
  • Options
    I used to work In Majorca for 6 months a year and was always ill! Every year I took out backpackers insurance with Insure and Go (insureandgo.com). I have asthma too and it plays up more when abroad in the heat. You can mention it but it is not counted as a Pre existing medical condition if it is controlled.

I would mention it anyway to cover your own back. They have paid out every time, once I had to make 18 trips to the doctor in one season and it was all paid for by Insure and go.

I always take out excess waiver (only a few quid more) especially if you're likely to become ill, then you don't have to pay anything, where as if you do not get excess waiver, you have to pay a ceratin amount of each claim (ie £50) which makes it a bit useless for a doctors claim say if you had a chest infection and just required antibiotics. The silver one I think is a good choice with excess waiver.

In majorca you can buy inhalors and some antibiotics over the counter at the chemist anyway so if it's for something minor, maybe try there first.

Hope this helps

:)
  • Options
    Good advice here.
  • Options
    firesilk wrote: »
    I used to work In Majorca for 6 months a year and was always ill! Every year I took out backpackers insurance with Insure and Go (insureandgo.com). I have asthma too and it plays up more when abroad in the heat. You can mention it but it is not counted as a Pre existing medical condition if it is controlled.

I would mention it anyway to cover your own back. They have paid out every time, once I had to make 18 trips to the doctor in one season and it was all paid for by Insure and go.

I always take out excess waiver (only a few quid more) especially if you're likely to become ill, then you don't have to pay anything, where as if you do not get excess waiver, you have to pay a ceratin amount of each claim (ie £50) which makes it a bit useless for a doctors claim say if you had a chest infection and just required antibiotics. The silver one I think is a good choice with excess waiver.

In majorca you can buy inhalors and some antibiotics over the counter at the chemist anyway so if it's for something minor, maybe try there first.

Hope this helps

:)
    I have a policy with insure and go (AIG) and also have the excess waiver.

I have a year policy and it was about £50.

Definitely check them out.
  • Options
    The one you get free with your bank account like me :D