Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

nurse gave wrong woman abortion

Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Whatever happens to doctors/nurses who do the wrong thing to the right person or the right thing to a wrong person, causing damage and distress.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There are no excuses for not doing basic checks, occassionally the wrong person would be called at MS (we also used first names only) but it would be sorted within seconds. It could be said that the woman could have spoken up and thought, hang on, I'm only here for a scan etc, but there could have been language barriers or sometimes you're just not in the right state of mind and end up going with the flow, especially in an environment like an abortion clinic.

As for the outcome, I think whatever pattern follows the usual procedure for something like this should be followed. I always feel for people who take it voluntarily, so to have it when it wasn't consented for or expected must be pretty rotten.
    thank god it was something she was being consulted for anyway. It could have been so much worse. The amount of doctors and nurses who often miss out basic checks though is horrific, and with such an emotional procedure such as this where at that stage there would still be a fair chance it might not have been her final decision. I hope the woman is ok about it. It says shes launched a formal complaint.

People should try to avoid hospitals.
    The Nursing and Midwifery Council said she could keep her job but would have a caution on her record for three years.
    cautions stay on record for 5 not 3 years!

i can't see how something like that could happen - even failing to do an ID test, surely the nurse would have consulted her on the drug she was taking, amount of pain it would cause, what to expect, etc. and the woman must have realized something was not right during the time she was in there, did the word ''abortion'' not even come up?
    otter wrote: »
    cautions stay on record for 5 not 3 years!

i can't see how something like that could happen - even failing to do an ID test, surely the nurse would have consulted her on the drug she was taking, amount of pain it would cause, what to expect, etc. and the woman must have realized something was not right during the time she was in there, did the word ''abortion'' not even come up?

By the time a woman comes to take misoprostol, she would have already had a consultation and taken the first set of tablets so the last visit can literally be a couple of minutes sitting in the nurse's office, taking the tablets and going home. If there's little continuity of care and you're seeing a different member of staff at each visit, then it's not improbable that the staff assume that the person has had all the relevant work done and is here for tablets etc. Sad reality of abortion is that the stigma has allowed clinics to treat women however they want - women are unlikely to speak up about it, which is why I'm quite surprised a complaint was even made. That aside, there is little excuse for checking that you have the right patient. I did it every single time, and it took a second to say, "Can I check your name and d.o.b?"

I'd be very surprised at the mention of the word abortion in an abortion clinic - no joke.
    At the very least, the nurse in question should never work in the health profession again. After a cock-up like this, how could anyone in her care seriously trust her?
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    At the very least, the nurse in question should never work in the health profession again. After a cock-up like this, how could anyone in her care seriously trust her?

On the flipside, you can basically guaruntee she will never make the same mistake again.

When I read the thread title my heart stopped.
    This is really disgusting at the end, by the way, before you click the link.

This isn't the first time the clinic has had something like this happen:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/england/2815621.stm
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    On the flipside, you can basically guaruntee she will never make the same mistake again.
    She shouldn't get the chance to make any more mistakes either. She should be sacked immediately.