Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

centrica anounces 60 % increase to come

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
of course it won't happen now will it ? no they will wait till the winter and if they anouce 60 % its more likely to be 200 %

I was told by eon that they were increasing by 15 % and guess what my per unit charges went up by 45 % I think its time energy companies were taken to the trading standards they can charge what they like but have the decency not to take the Piss out of us ! me ? I'll get solar panels just as soon as i can at this rate in 3-5 years solar will be chaeper (far far cheaper) than untility companies

Comments

• Options
    it's reality mate, gotta stay ahead of the curve or get swept away by soaring food and energy costs, it's not just a uk phenomenon.
  • Options
    oh I'm sure its not just a UK thing but i'm still waiting to find out who is being denied petrol and fuel they say the increase is due to lack of production ok so who's going without ? why can't the flipping utility comapnies just be honest ? we have no choice anyway unless we switch to renewables.

I'm not sure on trhis one but don't we habe north sea reaserves of oil ? why don't we exploit them ? that would tell the saudis what to go do with themselves and their putting the rpice up because they know we can't but pay what they ask
  • Options
    I'm not sure on trhis one but don't we habe north sea reaserves of oil ? why don't we exploit them ? that would tell the saudis what to go do with themselves and their putting the rpice up because they know we can't but pay what they ask

We used up something like 95% of the north sea reserves during the 80s and 90s, selling most of it to Europe and the rest of the world when prices where already reasonably low anyway.

We took short term profit over long term stability.

What i find frustrating is that whenever people want to make a point about these extortionate fuel companies they always choose to try and make a point of British Gas / Centrica feed as much bad press as they can.

Not perhaps relevent to this post i apologise, but when their "obscene" profits are made a point of its British Gas' again! how dare they make £50million profit in a year... All through raising the price of gas! (Despite the fact that a large portion of this profit comes from their servicing department)

Nobody mentions the ?70 billion - yes Billion turnover of E-on which equated to just under ?6 billion profit - a portion of which, like Centrica/British Gas was made from their European and Worldwide ventures, but unlike British Gas, their UK profits was much more largely due to their Gas sales since they have only recently come in to the servicing market.

Whenever people comment on poor customer service in the energy sector, they make a point of British Gas, who 3 years ago did have a dreadful record of customer service, however according to a report on behalf of ofgem this year they have the most improved customer service record.

Yet nothing is mentioned of the fact that British Gas and EDF were ranked as the best performing companies for helping vulnerable customers, and Npower ranked the worst.

Generally British Gas aren't even the most expensive energy supplier in most cases

Bizarre that we are always eager to take swipes out our own successful companies. When there are countless others making more obscene profits, neglecting their customers just as much, with just as poor customer service records etc...

Edited to come back to you point, prices are never going to be cheap again, weather you view it as greed from the energy companies, lack of supplies or a change in the global market high prices are going to be here to stay its time to look how to minimise the impact they have on you.

At the moment Solar panels aren't really a great option, from an enviromental point of view, im sure they use as much energy in their sourceing, making, transporting etc... as they save!
    From a financial point of view, they are guarenteed for 20 years, the amount the cost at the moment compared to the amount of money you save by using them it would easily take you 20 years to recoup your money. But certainly in the future they will become a forever more appealing option.

But things like a new flueless gas fire which are 100% efficent, opposed to a standard one which is generally only 75% efficent, (DFE fires, which are generally found in pubs can actually have a negative efficiency!)
    Getting a new condensing combi boiler and making improvements to the design of your central heating system can save more and energy over the long term.
    Increasing roof insulation, wall cavity insulation etc... (something which British Gas and other energy firms as well as this 'evil' Government of ours offer grants for) can further save money.

Theres soooo much we can do before we start pushing the blame on to others.
    But generally we find it much easier and more tempting to pass the buck hey.
  • Options
    I used to have british gas and left regardless of prices because of the foul way I was treated I actually had a bill for gas I never used and every time they sent it out it varyied considerably. i know they are not the only bad ones. as far as i know centrica is the one that buys the gas and sells it on (to whoever) and they own british gas its not really BG but centrica but then you don't often here of them as they are not on the front line
  • Options
    I used to have british gas and left regardless of prices because of the foul way I was treated I actually had a bill for gas I never used and every time they sent it out it varyied considerably. i know they are not the only bad ones. as far as i know centrica is the one that buys the gas and sells it on (to whoever) and they own british gas its not really BG but centrica but then you don't often here of them as they are not on the front line

Well it may have varied so much because generally (and most companies, gas/electric) do the same, send out estimates, which are a pathetic way of doing things, but since we are out at work so they can't read our meters, its the only way to do it.

When changing suppliers you generally provide them with an accurate meter reading and as such can provide you with a more accurate bill.

But weather it was yesterday or a few years ago, no company can or should excuse poor customer service, its the one thing that can be controlled regardless of global conditions, and can go a massive way to making their customers feel valued, but personally im still with British Gas and haven't had a bad experience except getting put through to the wrong department a few times, but apparently they have improved greatly and i'd like to think this was true since i'd much prefer Centrica a British company doing well in a shitty market than E-on, npower EDF etc...
  • Options
    no actually what happened was the house was left empty the previous tenants should have paid the last bill but oh no BG wanted us to pay despite our giving the tenants new address the tenants took up the contract with them not us yet we got marked down as the holders of the contract in fact my dads name ended up on it and he was just dealing with it for me they messed everything up the meter reader turned up like 1 hour before the appointment to read the meter and fucked off because no one was there (he was one hour early after all) in the end we paid 10 £ (the bill had been as much as 30) and that was supposed to be that, then i get a bill for 1.6 £ I mean wtf it cost that much to make it out and send it and still no gas had been used but still you can't reason with assholes. in the end i just changed suppliers, if I call the call dentre there is invariably an asian person answering with such an acent i can't understand him/her

now eon i call a green number and get to speak to someone that speaks english properley he/she may not be from engl;and but they speak fluently and without such a heavy acent