Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Don't say "chav"

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    What you wrote seemed cystal to me.

You said the majority of people from council estates who wear trackies turn out to be chavs.

That isn't a common idiom. That's you making absurd and unfounded generalisations. Now tell me how I've misinterpreted that.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    What you wrote seemed cystal to me.

You said the majority of people from council estates who wear trackies turn out to be chavs.

That isn't a common idiom. That's you making absurd and unfounded generalisations. Now tell me how I've misinterpreted that.

:banghead:
    I was talking about my use of '9 times out of 10' as a common idiom, which is why I posted a link directly afterwards to an idiom dictionary. I'm amused that you take a line of mine completely out of context to purposefully misinterpret me when that very line is in a context where I'm complaining about deliberate misinterpretation:

"It's not that I'm at pains to make sure everyone reads what I say accurately, it's more that I have to keep correcting what appears to be purposeful and deliberate misinterpretations of what I say. For example, I'm not going to believe that you've never heard of one of the most common idioms in the English language:

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/nine+times+out+of+ten"

Look, look really closely and what I wrote. Look especially at the bold parts, maybe even click the link if you're feeling fruity.

Honestly, reading comprehension these days:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Ok Illuminatus, forgetting all the semantic drift and idiomatic bullshit. What do you hope to achieve in using the word chav? By willfully accepting the word and it's connotations then you're just as bad as LordGrace and others who sneer down on poor people. So tell me, what is your argument and how is it productive?
  • Options
    Oh God I'm so sick of this thread. Well done Yerascrote, you've managed to prove with that one little post that you've not taken in any of what Illuminatus or I have tried to say. I've never said anything about sneering down on poor people and I can't believe you've managed to deduce that from anything I've said.
  • Options
    LordGrace wrote: »
    Oh God I'm so sick of this thread. Well done Yerascrote, you've managed to prove with that one little post that you've not taken in any of what Illuminatus or I have tried to say. I've never said anything about sneering down on poor people and I can't believe you've managed to deduce that from anything I've said.

What do you hope to achieve in using the word chav, what is your argument and how is it productive?

Relying heavilly on generalisations is lazy and narrowminded.

Statistics show that a disproportionate amount of knife, gun and other violent crime in London is commited by black youths. That does not make it acceptable to prejudge or assume the next black young londoner you meet is a criminal.

Your argument will be that the difference is blak people don't choose to be black where as chavs choose to dress the way they do. That's irrelevant.

The point is you're creating the negative sterotypes. Sterotypes are created by those doign the sterotyping. All a chav is choosing to do is to dress in a certain style. He/She isn't asking for you to assumre their scum.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

Lying on their arse living off other people's income tax and 13 year olds expecting their 3rd kid much?
  • Options
    lol this whole thread is pointless it's like trying to persuade a couple of black men the word nigger isn't offensive, give up already!
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Lying on their arse living off other people's income tax and 13 year olds expecting their 3rd kid much?
    None of which suggests I have anything against poor people. I have more respect for people who work their arses off for pennies because it supports their family than I do for people who are rich because their parents are and they've done nothing for it. I've said so many times this is not about money and chavs cannot justify their behaviour with that excuse. You cannot buy pride.
  • Options
    What do you hope to achieve in using the word chav, what is your argument and how is it productive?

Relying heavilly on generalisations is lazy and narrowminded.

Statistics show that a disproportionate amount of knife, gun and other violent crime in London is commited by black youths. That does not make it acceptable to prejudge or assume the next black young londoner you meet is a criminal.

Your argument will be that the difference is blak people don't choose to be black where as chavs choose to dress the way they do. That's irrelevant.

The point is you're creating the negative sterotypes. Sterotypes are created by those doign the sterotyping. All a chav is choosing to do is to dress in a certain style. He/She isn't asking for you to assumre their scum.

I don't rely on them. Just because I am aware of the chav stereotype, acknowledge its existence and recognise likely members does not mean I use it in any way. I would treat them in the same way as anybody else I come into contact with. I would treat anybody I didn't know with the respect I'd expect from them. If they don't return it however then the I may decide they're a chavvy moron. Having decided this I would STILL treat them with respect because I do my best not to lower myself to the levels of others.

I wouldn't make any judgement against black youths myself, no. But I think it would be unfair to expect the police to subsequently not watch this particular group of people more closely than others when they have been shown to be more likely to commit crime. It's common sense to pay attention to patterns like that and it doesn't at all suggest that the police would assume that ALL black youths are criminals. However, any stereotype has been created by the criminals themselves, not the public.

The chav has been labelled a chav from occasion after occasion of violence, teenage pregnancy and benefit scrounging all from a specific group of people. All it is is a trend people have picked up on. You can't expect people not to see a pattern in problems like that and start to associate it with certain people when the trend is blatently obvious. Again, this isn't an excuse for treating them any differently from anyone else but they can't blame you for making assumptions which are based on fact.

If anything, your argument is counterproductive. If society had no stereotypes and made no assumptions about people, crimes would be committed again and again because no steps would be taken ton eliminate recurring issues. For example (I know you're not very good with examples but please try and see my point without making some idiotic comment), a man owns a little corner shop on the edge of a council estate. Groups of teens come in every week, some distracting him while others steal things. They all wear hoodies so it's almost impossible to identify them. Is he wrong for putting signs on the door banning more than 2 under 18s from entering at the same time? Is his generalisation of young people to protect himself wrong?
  • Options
    I don't rely on them. Just because I am aware of the chav stereotype, acknowledge its existence and recognise likely members does not mean I use it in any way. I would treat them in the same way as anybody else I come into contact with. I would treat anybody I didn't know with the respect I'd expect from them. If they don't return it however then the I may decide they're a chavvy moron. Having decided this I would STILL treat them with respect because I do my best not to lower myself to the levels of others.

But you don't treat them with the same respect, you sneered at teenage pregnancy in another post. It's not something to be derided and looked down on.
    I wouldn't make any judgement against black youths myself, no. But I think it would be unfair to expect the police to subsequently not watch this particular group of people more closely than others when they have been shown to be more likely to commit crime. It's common sense to pay attention to patterns like that and it doesn't at all suggest that the police would assume that ALL black youths are criminals. However, any stereotype has been created by the criminals themselves, not the public.

Why not make judgements against black youths? You do it against people who wear burberry.
    The chav has been labelled a chav from occasion after occasion of violence, teenage pregnancy and benefit scrounging all from a specific group of people. All it is is a trend people have picked up on. You can't expect people not to see a pattern in problems like that and start to associate it with certain people when the trend is blatently obvious. Again, this isn't an excuse for treating them any differently from anyone else but they can't blame you for making assumptions which are based on fact.

Again, you mention trends without producing any evidence whatsoever that there's a correlation between people who wear trackies, live on council estates and violence, teenage pregnancy or benefit fraud. Where's your evidence?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Ok Illuminatus, forgetting all the semantic drift and idiomatic bullshit. What do you hope to achieve in using the word chav? By willfully accepting the word and it's connotations then you're just as bad as LordGrace and others who sneer down on poor people. So tell me, what is your argument and how is it productive?

Well, I don't really want to achieve anything; I barely use the word myself. But claiming words are inherently bad or anyone who uses a specific word automatically looks down on the poor is what I disagree with. It's just a word, a shorthand for something that'd probably take a few sentences to describe if the word wasn't there.
  • Options
    But claiming words are inherently bad or anyone who uses a specific word automatically looks down on the poor is what I disagree with. It's just a word, a shorthand for something that'd probably take a few sentences to describe if the word wasn't there.
    Are you serious? It's 'just a word'? Obviously it's not since it's caused a nine page thread with people getting worked up. You might think that words are empty vessels, but really, words are ideologically, emotionally, and socially loaded with all sorts of connotations, denotations, and so forth.

Words might not be 'inherently bad', but to neglect that words can hold social significance is at best naive and at worst wilfully ignorant.
  • Options
    Are you serious? It's 'just a word'? Obviously it's not since it's caused a nine page thread with people getting worked up. You might think that words are empty vessels, but really, words are ideologically, emotionally, and socially loaded with all sorts of connotations, denotations, and so forth.

Words might not be 'inherently bad', but to neglect that words can hold social significance is at best naive and at worst wilfully ignorant.

You'll notice I've said many times in this thread that the idea and meanings behind the word 'chav' existed before the word and in some areas using an entirely different word. The word is not important; it's merely a means to communicate an idea. So yes 'chav' is just a word.

The merits of the idea behind the word are something different entirely and that's why this thread is so long. We ban anyone from saying the word? Some other arbitrary string of letters will take it's place; the idea will be the same.
  • Options
    Well, I don't really want to achieve anything; I barely use the word myself. But claiming words are inherently bad or anyone who uses a specific word automatically looks down on the poor is what I disagree with. It's just a word, a shorthand for something that'd probably take a few sentences to describe if the word wasn't there.

Same as nigger, paki and pikey I suppose?
    Meanings behind the word 'chav' existed before the word and in some areas using an entirely different word. The word is not important; it's merely a means to communicate an idea. So yes 'chav' is just a word.

The idea that you can make negative assumptions about peoples behavior simply from their appearance.

And the root of the word isn't unimportant. Like 'gypo' and 'pikey' - words that have aslo been adopted to describe the 'undercalss - it has negative racial origins because Roamny Gypsies are often looked upon as memebers of the underclass.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Same as nigger, paki and pikey I suppose?

No, and I've already explained why.

You really love your strawman arguments don't you?
    The idea that you can make negative assumptions about peoples behavior simply from their appearance.

No, the negative behaviour is contained in the meaning of the word.
    And the root of the word isn't unimportant. Like 'gypo' and 'pikey' - words that have aslo been adopted to describe the 'undercalss - it has negative racial origins because Roamny Gypsies are often looked upon as memebers of the underclass.

Like I say; (over and over again) that's just one possible etymology and here are a good few more. No-one knows for certain the origins of the word, for all we know it could come from the Spanish 'Chavo'.
  • Options
    Arguments suggesting that saying chav and nigger are the same thing are never going to work on me or Illuminatus because as he's already stated black people are BORN black. Nobody's born in a burberry cap and hooped earrings.

I don't need to produce evidence for something you KNOW is true. More crime is committed in council estate areas than anywhere else, more likely by unemployed people. If you're going to argue with a widely accepted fact of life then we're wasting our time.

EDIT: Illuminatus has just reminded me that he has posted a link repeatedly which actually does contain supportive evidence that you have chosen to ignore.
  • Options
    Arguments suggesting that saying chav and nigger are the same thing are never going to work on me or Illuminatus because as he's already stated black people are BORN black. Nobody's born in a burberry cap and hooped earrings.

No, it's a good comparison actually to prove that words aren't just words and have negative connotations associated with them. You associate the word chav with drink and drug abuse, teenage pregnancy and unemployment as if it's something to be sneered upon. It's not funny.
    I don't need to produce evidence for something you KNOW is true. More crime is committed in council estate areas than anywhere else, more likely by unemployed people. If you're going to argue with a widely accepted fact of life then we're wasting our time.

And what does throwing the word chav about going to do about it?
    EDIT: Illuminatus has just reminded me that he has posted a link repeatedly which actually does contain supportive evidence that you have chosen to ignore.

Erm no he hasn't, the link said children from poorer areas were more likely to suffer abuse than children from rich areas, what has that got to do with dole scroungers and 13 year olds waiting on their 3rd kid?
  • Options
    lol

u u u t h

o o o d c

come on turlough :D
  • Options
    Unemployment and teenage pregnancy piss people off because it costs the taxpayers money to support people who should get of their arses and go to work. The teenage pregnancy thing is a seperate issue really. It's what's stopping them all from moving forward in my opinion because children are being born by parents who can't set them a good example or educate them properly so the cycle continues. For some reason these girls have sucdh low self esteem they think all their life is worth is to make babies as soon as possible. I think that's really sad, actually. Not in a sneery way, no, I just think it's a shame nobody's encouraging them to achieve more.

So you're denying the fact that child abuse probably stems from drug/alcohol abuse at home and unemplyment? Think about the kind of environment the child is statistically more likely to be in. It has everything to do with it.
  • Options
    Like I say; (over and over again) that's just one possible etymology and here are a good few more. No-one knows for certain the origins of the word, for all we know it could come from the Spanish 'Chavo'.

It's the mostly widely accepted.And I have seen the transition myself over the years. Chav comes from the Raomany word Chavi meaning young lad or mate, just as Charver comes from the Romany word for prostitute.
    It has offensive roots and continues to be offensive.

Generalistions are wrong, you've admited it yourself, I don't know why your arguing that it's acceptable and it's those being sterotypes that are at fault.

And you beleive you can label people with this word by their appearance.
    LordGrace wrote:

I'm not saying that chav is a racist term, but it has racist origins. It't no coincidence that the terms pikey and gypo are also often used in place of chav. They were adopted because it's considered an insult by many to imply somebody else is a gypsy.

And people are born into social groups wear trackies and burberry caps are social uniform. And you think they deserve to be called scum if they don't make an effort to avoid YOUR criteria of the appearance of the underclass.

They dress that way to fit in with there peers, they don;t dress that way so some jumped up little cunt can look down their nose at them ffs.
    I don't need to produce evidence for something you KNOW is true.

That you can predict somebodies behavior form where they live and how they dress is most certainly FALSE.
    More crime is committed in council estate areas than anywhere else, more likely by unemployed people. If you're going to argue with a widely accepted fact of life then we're wasting our time.

I havn't argued otherwise. You know why there's more crime on these estates? It's because crime levels are high in disadvantaged areas always have been.
    But none of that is an argument for labling people scum unless you actually know them for behaving like scum.

And teenage moms aren't scum, neither are the unemployed, neither are those that wear trackies.

I think your attitudes are sad more than anything.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    For some reason these girls have sucdh low self esteem they think all their life is worth is to make babies as soon as possible..

Might be to do with people calling them scum and chavs, and people thinkign they don't deserve any respect whatsoever.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I am of the opionion that those who take from society and give nothing back and then treat those who've put the roof over their head like dirt on their shoe are scum. When I talk about scummy people, that's what I mean. They are likely to be considered chavs for such behaviour too. Just to clear up what I mean.

Oh, those last two quote were me by the way, not Illuminatus. We do kind of blend into one though <3
  • Options
    Unemployment and teenage pregnancy piss people off because it costs the taxpayers money to support people who should get of their arses and go to work. The teenage pregnancy thing is a seperate issue really. It's what's stopping them all from moving forward in my opinion because children are being born by parents who can't set them a good example or educate them properly so the cycle continues. For some reason these girls have sucdh low self esteem they think all their life is worth is to make babies as soon as possible. I think that's really sad, actually. Not in a sneery way, no, I just think it's a shame nobody's encouraging them to achieve more.

And what is labelling not only these poor people, but anyone who happens to dress like them, as chavs going to do to their self-esteem? As I've already said, I happen to live in an area where a large number of people dress in this way and are from that sort of background, and something like a teenage pregnancy is still a pretty rare occurance. What you're doing is labelling what are more often than not young teenagers as losers before they've even got to the stage to figure out their own identity. In my experience, the word chav isn't generally used to refer to people like Skive and Yera who are big enough to defend themselves, it's aimed at young teenagers and even younger kids who are just dressing like their mates. They're written off as losers and treated like criminals by judgemental pricks before they've even had a chance to think about how the rest of society percieves them. Nobody is claiming that it should be illegal to use the word chav, or anything like it, but that it should be looked down on in exactly the same way as using sexist language or racist language is looked down on.
  • Options
    Wow Skive. Wow.

I've told you twice you have a stange habit of deliberately misinterpreting me. But now you're just crossed the line into outright trying to smear me by taking things from another post and quoting them as if I said them. Though if it was an accident, I'd appreciate it if you edited your post and attributed the quotes to the person who's actually said them.

Anyway, I will respond to the parts of your post that are actually responding to what I've said:
    Skive wrote:
    It's the mostly widely accepted.And I have seen the transition myself over the years. Chav comes from the Raomany word Chavi meaning young lad or mate, just as Charver comes from the Romany word for prostitute.
    It has offensive roots and continues to be offensive.

If you continue to repeat yourself then all I can do is repeat myself back:

Semantic drift. Possible etymology. etc. etc. etc.

It doesn't matter where the word came from, all that matters is it meaning now and in it's common and most widely accepted usage it has absolutely zero to do with Romany (if it even did in the first place). Much like when you call someone an 'imbecile' it has nothing to do with them being French, or that you're calling them a 'french idiot'. This is not hard to understand and you're purposefully refusing to.
    Generalistions are wrong, you've admited it yourself, I don't know why your arguing that it's acceptable and it's those being sterotypes that are at fault.

It's pretty clear what I'm arguing, if you want to respond to some specfic fascet of my argument please quote the appropriate part of it with a direct reply underneath, because you've got a habit of quoting parts of my post them talking about something entirely different and saying something that implies I said something I did not earlier. Infact you've just done it again:
    Skive wrote:
    And you beleive you can label people with this word by their appearance.

The above quote was in response to:

If I claim that the negative behaviour in part of the definition of the word, then it is logically impossible that I mean by appearance only.

From now on Skive, if you've got something new to talk to me about then please do so; I'll reply. But if you're going to keep repeating yourself then all I can do is repeat myself back and I'm starting to get bored of it. Especially when you constantly make an effort to deliberately misinterpret me like you did now and you did when I was talking about idioms.
  • Options
    No it shouldn't. Chavs aren't victims. Nobody's being abused and they have control of other peoples' views should they want them to change. Nobody goes around calling people chavs, it's used to refer to the stereotype, not as an abusive word deliberately meant to offend people which nigger is. You don't have to use nigger, you can just refer to black people. There is no alternative to chav, the alternative is to pretend that there's no difference between them and the rest of the working class. But to be honest I think that's unfair to the hardworking, good citizens of the working class who don't deserve to be referred to alongside these other unnamed individuals who are completely different.
  • Options
    So trackie wear youth that does charity work is a still a chav or in other words scum. Does this mean that chav will be a chav for life? That they'll never 'deserve any respect'.

It's bullshit.
    This is going back to page 4, (since this thread has just EXPLODED with insults and personal attacks, going completly out of hand), but I never said they where scum, I said scallys are scum, not chavs. I know some chavs, they're the nicest people I've met in a long time, but their stereotypical lifestyle and clothing choice makes them get misinterpited as scallys, when they're in fact not. I have no problem with chavs, it's the scallys that are the problem. Just like any stereotypical group has a bad side to them, which is immediatly portrayed towards the majority.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    This is going back to page 4, (since this thread has just EXPLODED with insults and personal attacks, going completly out of hand),

I'm not sure about that, but it does seem to be going round in circles - with two clashes on perspective. May well have to close it shortly. :chin:
  • Options
    nice to see who can see past their own nose and who can't!
  • Options
    It's funny I've honestly never heard anyone refer to anyone else as a scally down here before, chavs are just chavs, assumingly whowever you call a scall is just being lumped into that. Maybe it's just me...
  • Options
    After reading a bit through this thread, i find it quite remarkable how people can tolerate using words that are derogatory towards a class or people. Do these same people also think its alright to use derogatory tersm against a race or is it also another leftist or pc conspiracy?

Whats the diffrence between someone using terms to derogate a class as to a race?

Or are they the same?

I suppose one has a chance of changing ones class and not ones race (except for MJ) yet I think a derogatory word agaisnt a group of people is still a derogatory term against a group of people despite who or what an individual is like whom belong to that group.

Its all bigotry I say and people who think bigotry is a virtuos behaviour should be ashamed of themselves.