Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Don't say "chav"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
That's the message of a "think tank." What the fuck is a think tank, incidentally? Do they just get together to think? In a tank? Anyway, I digress:
People should stop using the word chav, a left-wing think tank has suggested.

The widely-used term is, according to the dictionaries, derogatory slang for a young person of low social status, often wearing designer sportswear.

The Fabian Society's Tom Hampson says the term betrays a deep level of "class hatred" and is "deeply offensive to a largely voiceless group".

But Simon Donald, the co-founder of Viz Magazine, said the word was meant to be an insult - and that was fine.

Story

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    "a largley voicelesss group" hmm not sure about that one :p
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Just say 'scum' instead.
    What the fuck is a think tank, incidentally? Do they just get together to think? In a tank?
    ^ :lol:

I think these uber-left-wing plonkers need to stop deciding for other people what offends them.
    sanitize wrote: »

I think these uber-left-wing plonkers need to stop deciding for other people what offends them.

But then how would we know when to be offended? We can't make big decisions like that ourselves, our brains will explode!
    I actually see their point. To just run someone off as a 'chav' seems lazy to me.
    Don't say 'fuck' or 'bugger'.
    The Fabian Society talks a load of old SHIT :

start_quote_rb.gifThis is middle class hatred of the white working class, pure and simple end_quote_rb.gif
    Fabian Society's Tom Hampson

Middle class have a 'hatred' for the 'working class'? That sounds a bit extreme. :rolleyes:

Furthermore, most of the 'working class' I know, refer to 'Chavs' as 'Chavs' anyway. Being 'working class' does NOT mean that one is automatically a 'Chav'.

The Fabian Society is hell bent on causing 'class' rifts on this, when there clearly isn't one.
    But then how would we know when to be offended? We can't make big decisions like that ourselves, our brains will explode!

:lol::lol::lol::confused::confused:
    sanitize wrote: »

quite, when i look at the govs attitude i think DAMN that 1960's song hit the nail on the head "in the year 2525" he just misjudged by 520 odd years thats all
    Fabian Society Are Bunch Of Sad Gits Who Need To Get Laid Shocker!
    Well I take offense to anyone who uses the word 'chav'. Intentionally or unintentionally it's a slang against the working class.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Well I take offense to anyone who uses the word 'chav'. Intentionally or unintentionally it's a slang against the working class.

Do you still get offended if someone who's working class uses the term? The way most people use the term has nothing to do with class and everything to do with willfully stupid, anti-intellectualist, anti-social and detrimentally conformist attitudes and behaviour. Besides, aren't chavs stereotyped as being dole scoungers? You're not really 'working class' if you don't actually work.

If people are going to choose to conform to detrimental stereotypes they shouldn't be surprised or offended when they're labeled accordingly.

It is far more offensive to continue to equate anti-social behaviour and willful ignorance with the working class.
    call them whatever you want, the name doesn't matter, what matters are the attributes associated with the group.
    call them whatever you want, the name doesn't matter, what matters are the attributes associated with the group.

Long time no see :wave:
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit

:yes:

All you have to do is take a look at the Chavscum website to see that. It is generally aimed at the working class.
    A lot of people beleive define a chav by how somebody dresses and where they live eg groups of youngsters from council houses wearing Burberry and Soveriegns.

Chav is a lazy word and given how many definitions it has, rather useless too.

It's a common word amongst Romany gypsies to refer to a young boy or girl and this is abviously were it's been adopted from. It's no different than calling somebody a gypo.
    Weekender Offender 
    I relate "Chav" to how someone dresses and acts.

I don't agree with the term working class and putting someone i class as a "chav" in it.
    Dinted wrote: »
    I relate "Chav" to how someone dresses and acts.

So you assume that people that dress a certain way, also act a certain way?
    Weekender Offender 
    A lot of people take Chav to mean Council House And Violent which of course is complete rubbish - but it does go to show that people link the word to the working class.

They have a similar term in the US. Trailer Trash. Which is also offensive.
    Weekender Offender 
    I always used it to mean how someone dressed. For a generic insult about behaviour, "scrote" does the job.
    Also everyone at my school used to say "townie" and then that got changed to chav.
    Skive wrote: »
    So you assume that people that dress a certain way, also act a certain way?
    If i was to some up "chav" and what my definition was of how they dress then yes i would say they dress and act in a similar way.
    Skive wrote: »
    :yes:

All you have to do is take a look at the Chavscum website to see that. It is generally aimed at the working class.

Sorry, guys but that is such a load of bollocks. Normal working class people, like me, are not Chav's. Chav's may be working class, but they do not represent the majority of working class people, who would find your statements offensive. Don't get confused with proud working class people and people who are just plain 'common'.
    Teagan wrote: »
    Sorry, guys but that is such a load of bollocks. Normal working class people, like me, are not Chav's. Chav's may be working class, but they do not represent the majority of working class people, who would find your statements offensive. Don't get confused with proud working class people and people who are just plain 'common'.
    Thats exactly why i disagree with the term working class.
    Chav's may be working class,

You said yourself.

People that are gernerally labled 'chavs' tend to be working class. People tend to associate chavs with council houses estates.
    but they do not represent the majority of working class people

Never said they do.
    Don't get confused with proud working class people and people who are just plain 'common'.

What makes somebody 'common'. The word common, like chav, is bollocks.

It comes down to what you think chav means. Many think it does mean working class who wear Burberry, drive Nova ans listen to trance for example.
    Much of this 'chav' bashing is just snobbery.
    Weekender Offender 
    Dinted wrote: »
    Thats exactly why i disagree with the term working class.

Well then you should really disagree with the term chav. It's a class thing. And it's wrong and offensive.
    Weekender Offender 
    http://www.chavtowns.co.uk/index.php

Just read some of articles on there if you want to see how 'Chav' is a term used to describe t
    Its full of pikeys and wannabee gangs.. not even real gangs.. especially one called the 'hoo boiz' who do less criminal activity than my nan.. anywhoo... the whole population are pikeys, they have no money, don't work and scrounge off the government ... so generally all nice people....

along with strood, chatham and gillingham hoo is becoming one of the anuses of Medway
    "
    theres roundshaw, ahem, sorry - 'wallington village'. full of all the scum of the world looking for trouble and mothers in their early teens opting for an easy life on benefit
    There are a couple of dodgy housing estates that have been around forever, such as Stop and Call and Maeshyfryd, renowned for gold jewellery, tracksuits, teenage mothers and sackfuls of Mad Dog 20/20, but the worst by far is the newest estate, Dan-y-Bryn - renamed Dan-y-Bronx by locals. And so it should be.

When you consider that these two towns are TINY - the populations combined are considerably less than 10,000 - it makes the chav concentration even higher. I can't walk from my parents' house to the shop and back without seeing perms, prams and perma-tans. It makes Bermondsey, my current location, seem like Balmoral in comparison.
    vamos666 _WRITES "Northampton is a shining example of rapid post war expansion gone wrong. I'm certain the planners of the day were doing their best but it seems like the 'ton was a Friday afternoon rush job. after spraying the town centre with concrete they then saw fit to build a shanty town encircling the main arena. This explosion of rat run housing in the 1960's and 70's attracted scum from near and far which in turn led to the invasion of the town centre. I still remember the "riot" in the Grosvenor Centre (Shopping centre) in 1989 which really only involved 50 or so 'townies' as they were then called, running though the crowd punchng people and stealing bags. Some places have cheese rolling and burning barrels of straw, we have strip-mugging.
    vamos666 _WRITES "Northampton is a shining example of rapid post war expansion gone wrong. I'm certain the planners of the day were doing their best but it seems like the 'ton was a Friday afternoon rush job. after spraying the town centre with concrete they then saw fit to build a shanty town encircling the main arena. This explosion of rat run housing in the 1960's and 70's attracted scum from near and far which in turn led to the invasion of the town centre. I still remember the "riot" in the Grosvenor Centre (Shopping centre) in 1989 which really only involved 50 or so 'townies' as they were then called, running though the crowd punchng people and stealing bags. Some places have cheese rolling and burning barrels of straw, we have strip-mugging.

Lots of businesses saw the potential workforce flocking to Northampton and decided to set up shop in the thick of it. So now we had vast swathes of countryside covered with large industrial estates. The problem was that this potential workforce had already been signed up to the easiest job in town, the dole and there was no chance of them re-training now. the businesses faltered but did not fail, for now we have not only the dole scrounging chav but also the industrious chav, in the form of our East European cousins who really do work as hard as peolple say but also have the morals and manners of a sewer rat enabling them to work all night and spend all day drinking and spitting in the street and if the fancy takes them, stopping you in the street to tell you how grateful you should be that they are here to work as we are all so lazy. Well maybe if you had worked this hard at home, then your own country wouldn't be such a shithole.
    Well Northampton, you had the chance to keep one of your sons with you but you fucked it didn't you? After too long being punished for having a job i am finally off to pastures new, leaving town is the only way to ensure that my girlfriend and i can raise kids in a place where they have a chance of turning out half decent. Keep your Chavtown and i hope you rot.

It is a class things. It's a snobbery thing.
    Weekender Offender 

Aren't you missing the point though? I don't think anyone is suggesting all working class people are chavs - yet all chavs are working class. There's a distinct and important difference.
    I still remember the "riot" in the Grosvenor Centre (Shopping centre) in 1989 which really only involved 50 or so 'townies' as they were then called, running though the crowd punchng people and stealing bags. Some places have cheese rolling and burning barrels of straw, we have strip-mugging.

A class thing, Skive? Theft and violence?
    Aren't you missing the point though? I don't think anyone is suggesting all working class people are chavs - yet all chavs are working class. There's a distinct and important difference.

Surely the point about "chavs" is that they aren't "working class" at all - to be "working class" implies that you actually work. "Working class" means to me respectable and dignified (although perhaps not usually well educated), law abiding people who are employed in low wage sectors/manual labour/semi-skilled service sector jobs. They are not financially dependent on the state and are probably proportionally hit hardest by taxation etc. They wear cloth caps, live in red-brick terraced houses and spend their spare time fishing, playing football, growing vegetables on allotments, raising their kids, and drinking ale in the local pub.

"Chavs" on the other hand are unlikely to be employed (this is partly because they are for the most part disadvantaged young people). Possibly on the dole or living off the proceeds of petty crime, but yet extremely materialistic, signalling their peer-network/kinship status by spending what money they have on distasteful clothing and jewellry. Prone to arbitrary violence and obnoxious behaviour, ignorance, drug and alcohol abuse, teen pregnancy, and generally threatening to the law abiding. They aren't "working class" because they contribute nothing to society and little to the economy, I'd hesistate even to call them a "working-class subculture" - more like an underclass or classless stratum. Having said that, "chav" aesthetics (sic) can be present in very rich people as well, usually through lack of taste, as evidenced by some footballers, lottery winners, musicians, etc.
    A class thing, Skive? Theft and violence?

That's not what I'm saying.

'Chavs' arn't simply defined by there actions. Many people link 'chavs' to council estates and the disadvantaged people that live there and are defined by the way they dress. It's ignorant and it's snobbery.

Just because somebody live on a council estate, wears trackies and burberyy doesn't mean they deserve to be called the dregs of society. It's an offensive sterotype and it's bullshit.

There are so many definitions of what chav means that's it's a pretty redundant word.
    Weekender Offender 
    carlito wrote: »
    Surely the point about "chavs" is that they aren't "working class" at all - to be "working class" implies that you actually work.

Not as simple as that. The term can incorporate references to education, occupation, culture, and income.
    "Working class" means to me respectable and dignified (although perhaps not usually well educated), law abiding people

What has respectability and dignity got to do with class?

They wear cloth caps, live in red-brick terraced houses and spend their spare time fishing, playing football, growing vegetables on allotments, raising their kids, and drinking ale in the local pub.

This is sterotypical nonsense though.

"Chavs" on the other hand are unlikely to be employed (this is partly because they are for the most part disadvantaged young people). Possibly on the dole or living off the proceeds of petty crime, but yet extremely materialistic, signalling their peer-network/kinship status by spending what money they have on distasteful clothing and jewellry. Prone to arbitrary violence and obnoxious behaviour, ignorance, drug and alcohol abuse, teen pregnancy, and generally threatening to the law abiding. They aren't "working class" because they contribute nothing to society and little to the economy, I'd hesistate even to call them a "working-class subculture" - more like an underclass or classless stratum. Having said that, "chav" aesthetics (sic) can be present in very rich people as well, usually through lack of taste, as evidenced by some footballers, lottery winners, musicians, etc.

Which makes the term completely useless.
    Dolies who steal to pay for there drugs and wear designer clothes are Chavs. But hang on, the rich who don't steal anything are also fair game for us to label chavs?

It's a load of bollocks.
    Weekender Offender