Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

9% drop in crime

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's impossible to have a 400% drop unless you can have a negative amount of crime.

The biggest drop you can have is 100%, going down from whatever it was to 0.

You can however have an increase of 400% if it goes up 5 times. In your example though it went up 100%.

Symantics, a post which is the equivalent of pointing out spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in a post.
    Unfortunately maths isn't my strong point, I'll try to do better next time.
  • Options
    The politics of fear in action by any chance?
    but drug offences were up 18%, gun crime was up 2% and murder was up 3%.

"Politics of fear" indeed.
  • Options
    You can't just say "crime down 9%" though you have to state what type of crime.
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    Says the guy who can't see the paradox in the phrase "idiotic maxims". :eek2:

just because something is widely accepted by merit or considered a rule of thumb doesnt mean it is axiomatic.
  • Options
    but drug offences were up 18%, gun crime was up 2% and murder was up 3%.

It's worth noting that 'gun crime' statistics include someone waving a toy gun around and another thinking it's real and calling the cops.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Again, you're pointing out things from your own quite limited point of view. Lots of areas put extra staff on duty at the weekends. My station goes from having 3 response officers, 2 beat managers and 4 PCSO's in the week, to 4/5 response officers, 4 beat managers, 6-10 PCSO's and at least 4 special constables at the weekend. Standing orders are to do your paperwork the day after and not to come back to the station except for your dinner. We'll spend all night stopping/searching people, confiscating alcohol, making arrests and taking underage kids home for their parents to deal with and people have told us we've made a big difference. Combine that with the extra work us schools officers are doing in school to prevent kids getting into trouble in the first place and you're looking at vast improvements in minor antisocial behaviour.

Yes we have begun imposing heavy fines on shops who CONTINUALLY supply alcohol to underage kids, but only because until we did they were making it extremely easy for underage kids to get their hands on beer, until we started fining people it was blatantly obvious what was going on. You'd see adults going in and coming out with a bag of beer and handing it to a bunch of kids.

Dealing with over 18's is a little harder, but we've set up one town as a "designated area" making it an offence to consume alcohol in public (discretionary, we don't target picnics and people behaving themselves) and thanks to the legislation contained in the Violent Crime Reduction Act.2006 we're able to order people who are drunk to leave an area. If they return within 48 hours they can be arrested. Perfect if you are having problems with people gathering outside your house drinking and causing problems.

Just because it seems that the force that you live in doesn't seem to do anything, it doesn't mean it isn't, and it definitely doesn't mean other forces aren't making full use of their staff and the legislation.

like I said what i report are my personal experiences and oh of course the one and only time i was stopped on the road it was not for an offence just a touchy officer that decided I wanted to pull out in front of him he was driving faster than is recomended considering he was turning off anyway (in which case i would not have been pulling out in front of him but then he wasn't signalling was he) he was extremely unpleasant it was clear he had no intention of booking me he just wanted someone to be nasty to. he told me to turn my lights on and his were off.

am I dreaming ok I'll sit on the roadside and wait for 100 cops to turn me over and then give you a percentage
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    just because something is widely accepted by merit or considered a rule of thumb doesnt mean it is axiomatic.

No, it is a maxim because of the wisdom contained in it. The point of that maxim (you don't seem to get it) is that statistics are not always as they seem and you need to take them with a pinch of salt. Smarter people than you (Whowhere and Illuminatus) have given examples of how statistics can be dubious.
  • Options
    like all things statistics can lie like all things they are biased there would not be a lot wrong with a statistic made out honestly but then nothing is honest nowadays as someone else said I'd like to see the stats for individual crime categories.

oh and for a laugh I'll tell you of the police that raided the wrong address they smashed the door down of a house where a mother was found nursing her child and imediatly started searching the place it was not until after she suggested they had got the wrong house and seeing the warant that the mistake was clarrified - I beleive they where looking for one of those houses where every room is devoted to growing drugs. I mean can you be more stupid to get the wrong road and be so sensless (and insensitive) that having surrounded the house you can't knock civily first instead of just busting the door down ?! I suppose my local antidrug team are ex british gas workers
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Again, you're pointing out things from your own quite limited point of view. Lots of areas put extra staff on duty at the weekends.

As an aside but regarding the work of the police, did anyone see 'River Cops' last night? Well, part of the program was around the lead-up to the start of the Tour de France which started at Tower Bridge last year. Completely unseen by the public, were the police scaling the underside of bridges looking for bombs, divers searching below water, boats on the river being stopped and searched, people walking along the riverside being investigated if they seemed to act suspiciously etc etc, days and hours before the race kicked off. I thought, "Oh my fcuk, I didn't realise how much the police do on an unseen level to keep us all safe."

The money that all this must cost is mind-boggling but largely goes on unnoticed.
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    No, it is a maxim because of the wisdom contained in it. The point of that maxim (you don't seem to get it) is that statistics are not always as they seem and you need to take them with a pinch of salt. Smarter people than you (Whowhere and Illuminatus) have given examples of how statistics can be dubious.

i understand the point of that maxim hence why i think it is stupid. a statistic is a statistic and is essentially true (if calculated correctly). the conclusions raised by such as statistic, and as whowhere did about a single incidence doubling the % is entirely down to interpretation. so what. the reporting of the % is still correct even if it means an insignificant rise in the crime rate...
  • Options
    i think it's probably fair to say that whilst most published statistics are true, they are often misleading.