Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should bigger bras be more expensive?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if they were the same price, small boobed people could buy one big bra and make two small ones out of it. Its just not fair!
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote: »
    We live in a society where things that are required for health reasons are subsidised. Be that various medicines, contraceptives, mobility aids, transportation, is it really that much of a leap? But no I'm not actually saying subsidise it, the extra production costs will easily be covered by their profit margins...maybe they'll not make quite so much money on them but seriously it won't injure their profits that much. Let's think about it - a country full of women with bad backs who'll end up not being able to work and being a drain on the NHS or allow them to buy bras at a standard price that it costs everyone else and keep them healthy. Seems an obvious choice to me.

Bras aren't medical items, they're more likely to have a detrimental effect than a positive one, epecially if they're ill-fitting.

"There is no medical reason to wear a bra. ... The decision is yours, based on your own personal comfort and aesthetics. And even though, as little girls, we were told that bras save us from hanging breasts, ... whether you have always worn a bra or always gone bra-less, age and breastfeeding will naturally cause your breasts to sag." - Dr. Niels Lauersen

"Breasts were fine before the invention of the brassiere. ... This is similar to the myth that women supposedly need corsets to support their stomach muscles...wearing a bra...has no medical necessity whatsoever. ... Except for the women who find bras especially comfortable or uncomfortable, the decision to wear or not wear one is purely aesthetic — or emotional ... If you don't enjoy it, and job or social pressures don't force you into it, don't bother. ... A mistaken popular belief maintains that wearing a bra strengthens your breasts and prevents their eventual sagging. But you sag because of the proportion of fat and tissue in your breasts, and no bra changes that. ... If you don't like wearing a bra, don't wear one." Dr Susan Love
  • Options
    contraversial. Breastfeeding doesnt cause breasts to sag. Size fluctuations in and after pregnancy are the major cause whether you breastfeed or not
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/11/071101170723.htm

http://www.007b.com/sagging.php
  • Options
    contraversial. Breastfeeding doesnt cause breasts to sag. Size fluctuations in and after pregnancy are the major cause whether you breastfeed or not
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/11/071101170723.htm

http://www.007b.com/sagging.php

Yeah, those quotes I posted are older than the study; I just wanted to point out there's no medical reason for a bra.
  • Options
    I'm sorry there most definatly is a medical reason!

If i don't wear a bra my back will hurt, as will the muscles around my boobs due to the lack of support.
  • Options

If i don't wear a bra my back will hurt, as will the muscles around my boobs due to the lack of support.

:yes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7342144.stm
  • Options

That's more dude to muscles/ligaments atrophying from wearing a bra most of your boobed life. If you were to not wear a bra for a while the pain would disappear.

"In a French study of 250 women who exercised regularly and were followed by questionnaires and biometric measurements for a year after agreeing not to wear a bra. While there was some initial discomfort at the first evaluation, this gradually disappeared and by the end of the year nearly all the women had improved comfort compared to before the study. The measurements showed firmer, and more elevated and youthful breasts. One example of a woman who had breasts that were uncomfortably large, and who had improvement after two years of being without a bra is given."
  • Options
    It hurts a lot to have big boobs without a bra, regardless of any studies!
  • Options
    It hurts a lot to have big boobs without a bra, regardless of any studies!

Try not wearing a bra for a year then get back to me :thumb:
  • Options
    Bloody hell no! They'd probably fall off!
  • Options
    Try not wearing a bra for a year then get back to me :thumb:

i would but it would chafe my knees
  • Options
    I'd scare people if I didn't wear a bra. Speaking from experience, I confirm that it bloody hurts not wearing a bra.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Not my place to speak so feel free to ignore me, I'm just here to point out a similarity.
    If these studies -which I've read about in the past- are true, then saying "I can't go without" is very much like saying "I need smoking, can't give up".
    The similarity (remember the if): In both cases you only need something because you're used to it.
  • Options
    There are so many reasons why bras are necessary, which pretty much any woman with boobs a B cup or more will know. It's a redundant argument to suggest that woman don't need to wear bras, and a separate discussion to the topic.
  • Options
    i havn't read all the pages, and i don't know much about bras.....but anyway....

it does cost more to make larger shirts and other garments where i work. An XXL uses twice as much ink, fabric and paper that a Small shirt does. Thats about £15/16 pounds to make an XXL and about £8 to make a small.

We sell them at the same price too.

And designing the larger sizes (XXXL or bigger) is a pain.
  • Options
    Not my place to speak so feel free to ignore me, I'm just here to point out a similarity.
    If these studies -which I've read about in the past- are true, then saying "I can't go without" is very much like saying "I need smoking, can't give up".
    The similarity (remember the if): In both cases you only need something because you're used to it.

theyre not true
  • Options
    They're true.

Though, I only brought them up because of the ridiculous suggestion that bigger bras should be subsidised. I don't think women should walk around braless constantly just because they can, just that they're worn more for aesthetic reasons rather than health.
  • Options
    big breasted women "need" bras to prevent chronic pain.

How is that a health issue?

If anything bigger bras should be subsidised
  • Options
    Studies say otherwise.
  • Options
    Yes, and let's tax their owners double while we're at it.
  • Options
    Which studies?

did you even look at the link i posted earlier about most breast reduction surgeries could be unnecessary and all that is needed is a good fitting bra.

If you are constantly carrying a bag of rocks and youve got a crap bag, its going to damage your back more than if you carry them in a properly fitted supportive rucksack.
    Same principle. Its not rocket science
  • Options
    The ones I believe I mentioned earlier in the thread, the Japanese and French ones.

Also, read your own link; it state pretty clearly that an ill fitting bra is the
    cause of the pain. Which ties in nicely with the studies I've mentioned and other studies:

"A study by the University Hospital of Wales asked 100 pre-menopausal women to go without a bra for three months, then return to wearing one for another three months. On average the number of pain-free days went up by 7 per cent when the women stopped wearing bras.
    The study concluded that breast pain and health complications relating to the breasts were increased by wearing a bra."

"The British School of Osteopathy found that ill-fitting fashion bras put stress on bones and muscles, which can cause breathing problems. The study reported that badly fitting, tight and underwired bras supported the breast by pressing on the rib cage which restricts breathing and puts pressure on the diaphragm."

It's not rocket science, it's boobology.
  • Options
    a badly fitting bra is probably worse than wearing no bra for sure.
    A well fitting bra is the best option of the three
  • Options
    ^ That's not what the French study concluded.
  • Options
    you havent even given a link for that, and it wasnt even a large study,
  • Options
    http://www.e-sante.be/be/magazine_sante/sports_sante/soutien_gorge_question-6294-973-art.htm

That's the only link I can find and I can't read French very well.

250 is hardly a 'small study' and the results are definately statistically significant. I think it holds more weight than you saying 'probably'.

Besides, you're ignoring the Welsh study abstract I quoted above.
  • Options
    so why should the pain that people suffer when going braless be discounted?

do you think its imaginary?
  • Options
    "In a French study of 250 women who exercised regularly and were followed by questionnaires and biometric measurements for a year after agreeing not to wear a bra. While there was some initial discomfort at the first evaluation, this gradually disappeared and by the end of the year nearly all the women had improved comfort compared to before the study. The measurements showed firmer, and more elevated and youthful breasts. One example of a woman who had breasts that were uncomfortably large, and who had improvement after two years of being without a bra is given."

Using public money for bigger bras is just idiotic anyway.
  • Options
    so why should the pain that people suffer when going braless be discounted?

do you think its imaginary?

if the studies were/are true, then that'd due to wearing a bra in the first place as much as going braless, and pain would reduce within a month of stopping wearing one once the cooper's ligament and chest muscles had a chance to go back to normal.

Still think it's a stupid idea though.
  • Options
    the study was actually on 33 women according to that link anyway. not 250.

More youthful breasts??

what like those braless tribal women in national geographic maybe?