Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bedroom decorating

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I redecorating my bedroom, well sort of, and rather than put up posters with bluetac which ripped the paint off to begin with, I'd like to put up pictures or other kinds of decoration. I've had a look on ebay, but there's so much on there, and all the usual DIY stores, but nothing really appeals. Does anyone know of any good websites? Or ideas for decorating a bedroom, something that's maybe a bit different. I guess along the vintage/retro kinda theme. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I too will be very interested in this.

Is that Cone in your avatar?
  • Options
    if there's a wallpaper u like, but dont particualry wanna decorate a wall in it, just buy some nice simple frames and put it in

hard to describe without knowin ya colour scheme, but say ya going for black white and red, with red walls, red frames with black and white velvetty wallpaper would look nice

or canvas, if you see material you like at a store, you can buy canvas' from au naturel and such likes and just staple them on, wah lah, your very own wall hangings which no1 else will have
  • Options
    Rather than hang posters etc by blu tac why not frame them in something that IKEA produces? IKEA make very cool frames that are not expensive and some are not actually framed at all but of some sort of perspex compound behind which your poster may be clipped. That way you're then not limited to putting up wallpaper that can be very expensive especially the hessian variety, or canvas.

Have you tried sponging a different shade of paint over a lighter base? Imagine for example, a chalky pink over a cream base. Or "bagging" using a scrunched up plastic shopping bag to lay on some movement.

If you prefer the darker colours try a coffee brown paint, or dark burgundy or purple in silk finish and put your chosen poster(s) into a metallic/mirror type frame that gives the impression of chrome. If you paint a high ceiling in a darker colour then it becomes visually lower. Lighting can be put to advantage here. Choose a coloured lightbulb against a coloured wall.

Ikea make some pretty cheap and good value lights.

Just a thought.

Best,
    Poppi
  • Options
    What I did a while back was bought three matching cork pinboards and made collages on each one with cool postcards/flyers. I had been collecting them for ages and had loads of them, so rather than putting them up on the walls with blu-tak (which would have taken ages and wrecked the wallpaper) I pinned them on the boards, with the edges overlapping so there was no cork showing through. I made sure I picked the ones with pink and black as the predominant colours as that was the "theme" I wanted for my room...they looked wicked when they were done. Let me know if that makes no sense at all and I'll try to explain a bit better :razz:
  • Options
    Do you want to paint or are you just adding some decoration? Painting can be really cheap and completely changes the room. If your walls are light already just do one or two walls a contrasting colour

Ikea is great for cheap frames, and wilkinsons has got loads too (mega cheap). Theres loads of funky posters and art prints on ebay nice and cheap

Changing the curtains and bedsheets can make a big difference too

Is it your own bedroom? Like is the furniture yours? If you want a vintage/shappy chic kind of feel paint your furniture in cream gloss and add old style handles. Paint the walls a light pastel colour and get some floaty curtains. Chuck a load of old mismatch cushions around and stick up some random art. Ikea do loads of little art cards which look nice in frames
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10140156
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50115635
    I love this look :)
  • Options
    Hi, back again... earlier I was snouting around some websites and found Jocasta Innis.

http://www.jocastainnesdesign.com/

And Abe Books can get a used copy of her books for very little:

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/
  • Options
    Cheers for the responses, all sounds like good ideas. I've already painted my room, unfortunatly I still live at my parents' and they insist it must be a creamy/white colour, so I can't do any paint techniques. But because it's boring old white, I want to liven it up a bit with other bits and bobs. Frames for posters sounds good, bluetac does so much damage. And I like the wallpaper idea too. I can't alter the furniture again either :yeees: it's all chunky and pine and horrible, but has to stay.
  • Options
    I too will be very interested in this.

Is that Cone in your avatar?

Nope it's Matt Bellamy from Muse :)