Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What Is The Difference Between The Dyslexia & Disability Support Teams?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I went to a college interview/assessment thing on Friday. After the computer assessment, everyone had to talk to the course leader. Anyway, he asked me some random questions and went through some forms I'd given the college before. At the end, I asked if it was possible for me to have a yellow filter because black on yellow is easier to read than black on white. He said this is fine and that I may have to pay a deposit.

I do not have dyslexia, but my need are similar and have been referred to their team at college. What is the difference between them & the disability support teams?:confused:

I'm now slightly concerned that if I'm referred to them, I may not get the help I need and will be in the same situation as I was last year. (with not getting the apporpriate help & support I need)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The difference will be different at different colleges.

It may be the case that the dyslexia support team deal with Specific Learning Difficulty issues and the disability support team deal with the 'traditional' disabilities, people in wheel chairs and the like.
    at my college they were one and the same, different people will have different skills and different needs, and you will be put with a support tutor that reflects that.
    Thanks you two. They've now changed it, so I'm with the disability support team. Weird. :confused: