Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

builder problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Was wondering if anybody had any advice.

Our landlord has decided to completely 'refurbish' both our kitchen and bathroom and hire "builders"* to do the job.

The third week has gone by and the builders rarely turn up. I also don't think they work weekends. They have the door key, so the letting agent cannot come and look at the property as my flatmate and I work full time and don't get in until after 7pm... The state of the house is as such:

Kitchen:
Finally got new cupboards up by Monday. Nothing was done all week and somebody has come in and painted the windowframe (which has woodrot), but now there are dribbles of paint all up our hallway on the floor and throughout the kitchen, all over the new work surfaces and all that. The hood to the cooker is broken, but I'm gonna try fix it later.

Bathroom:
New toilet, but no sink. The bath has bits of concrete stuck on the inside and rubble around the side of it, but it works. the landing carpet is filthy and the door has been painted. Somebody smashed our mirror. It has been partly retiled 2 weeks ago, but barely touched.

Other stuff:
They have took our bucket and bin and left it outside. Our bucket they have used and ruined. I found bits of half eaten chicken, pizza and fast food takeaway wrappers as well as other crap on our driveway and chicken bones in our recycle box (great way to attract rats and foxes Roll Eyes) and our garden is quite frankly disgusting.

They have left their tools all over the house, it is dirty and starting to annoy me after three weeks. however, the letting agent said this is all legal because we have a toilet, running water and electricity.

Am I right to be annoyed? These men are like animals and using our plates and cups and leaving crap in them, then leaving dirty cups in the cupboard on top of everything else. Undecided I want to make a complaint as I honestly don't believe they are real builders, just friends of the landlord and that they are taking the p*ss.

After three weeks, each time I talk to them they promise it will all be done in two days and they don't turn up. However, sometimes they let themselves in after 10pm.

Is there any way I can take legal action? As I can't afford to hire a real builder to do the work.

* Our landlord is known for not hiring real builders and two we have been told not to let near anything electrical.