Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Nationwide Bank stuff

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, im 16 - 17 in october, and i've currently got:

Nationwide smart account (Savings)

Nationwide Flexaccount (Cash card)

Now, How do I use the cash card with buying stuff online? Because it's not a visa or master card and has no security number on the back.

So I'm really confused! :(

Comments

• Options
    You can't - you need to get a debit card.
  • Options
    and I can get one of those with my current age? :o
  • Options
    Yeah, I got a Solo card when I was 17. You need a parents signature though.
  • Options
    I got a Solo card when I was 12 from NatWest.. I think I prob needed parents signature, can't remember though.

Ask your bank if they can give you a debit card.
  • Options
    i've had debit cards since i was 16 and never needed a parents signature :confused:
  • Options
    I contacted nationwide, and they said to pop into a branch to discuss it. So guess what im going to do :)
  • Options
    Just a heads up, unless they've changed the system recently Nationwide won't give you anything other than a cash card and un guarenteed cheque book until you're 18.

Plenty of other high street banks will though.
  • Options
    Yeah I poped in store today and the lady said they can't because im not 18 yet, but then I goes to her - But Barclays do so how come?

And she was like its to do with the APR so I was like :S Okay thanks,

So I'm going to pop into barclays on monday hopefuly and set up a bank account with them and switch over :)
  • Options
    Just to bear in mind, it might be worth keeping on your Nationwide account and getting the Barclays one as well. Really easy way to monitor your internet spending and limits the damage phishing can cause.
  • Options
    Just to bear in mind, it might be worth keeping on your Nationwide account and getting the Barclays one as well. Really easy way to monitor your internet spending and limits the damage phishing can cause.

also, you can get money if that bank is bought out by another institution. my mother opened a handful of accounts from different places for me when i was younger, left about £10 in each and last year, one merged with an american bigshot so i got £500.