Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Minimum wage

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It seems Governor Schwarzenegger loves the minimum wage too.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/23/BAFJ11UH46.DTL&tsp=1
    You might be a middle class student who lives with their parents and can afford to work for £4/hour in the holidays --- but, what about people on the existing minimum wage already finding it extremely difficult to pay rent, food bills, etc?

Why do you mention 'middle class'? I know some very wealthy working class people - and some not-so-wealthy, struggling middle class people. Surely whether someone is able to live at home is down to financial reasons, rather than 'class'.

((I'm just a bit sensitive after the 'Chav' thread)) ;)
    Namaste wrote: »
    Minimum wage is so low, I still consider it exploitation.

I am currently on £6.50 per hour and that is not enough to realistically live in London. Minimum wage is lower than that.

I think that either people on under £13K should be taxed less, or minimum wage in London should go up to £7 per hour.

This is of course if you actually get all of your hours, in industries like cleaning and security you're likely to be agency, so all sorts of little costs can be taken away, plus your hours can be trimmed.

As for people under £13k getting taxed less - the 40% band should go up to 41% and whatever we make from that should be taken off the tax free allowance. Bingo, the poor pay a bit less (which they would notice) and the rich pay a little more (which they would hardly notice).
    they should just increase the tax free limit to 15k a year and after that make it 35% for any earning over it whilst removing NI so it would be 0% at 15k, 8.75% at 20k, 14% at 25k and reach 32% by 200k

also mean less dodging of it, and capital gains needs a looking at in regards to rules around it so the wealthy can't transfer their earnings into capital gains to lower the % they pay

corporation tax too needs looking at, possibly implementing the american system of so earnings in this country are taxed at this country's rate