Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Minimum wage

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does the minimum wage restrict the allocation of jobs? I.e. an employer would hire an extra staff member and an unemployed person would work for the lower fee, but because of the minimum wage this 'transaction' never takes place.

I think it does and so does more harm than good in some cases (like mine where I would be happy shelf stacking for £4 an hour as a stop gap but there we are!) :grump:

Comments

• Options
    I don't know. Maybe it does, but then it also prevents exploitation of workers.
  • Options
    What makes you think you'd be shelf stacking for £4 rather than £1 an hour?
  • Options
    because of how wages are determined.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    What makes you think you'd be shelf stacking for £4 rather than £1 an hour?

I see your point perfectly, but everyone would only work for what they thought was an acceptable wage. The current system 'sells short' or something in the market, just based on a level economics.

In a boom its not so bad as real incomes (and profits) are rising and so jobs are being created so unemployment remains relatively low. But try to force high wage prices when the economy is in a slump and people will just find themselves out of work :/
  • Options
    No. A supermarket will employ the number of people it takes to stack the shelves. If it takes 100 people, then they're not going to hire 101, just because they're cheaper. That money could be going towards their profits or towards a price cut for customers.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I think it does and so does more harm than good in some cases (like mine where I would be happy shelf stacking for £4 an hour as a stop gap but there we are!) :grump:

TBH that's an extremely selfish attitude. You might be a middle class student who lives with their parents and can afford to work for £4/hour in the holidays --- but, what about people on the existing minimum wage already finding it extremely difficult to pay rent, food bills, etc?

And what if some people, probably immigrants from a poorer part of the EU, were willing to work for even less than £4/hour? The minimum wage is a very important safeguard.

The minimum wage is low as it is anyway - so I don't think it's an obstacle to employers taking people on. We've had it for nearly 10 years and none of the predictions of the original doomsayers, the Conservatives, CBI, etc have come true. Things might be looking grim at the moment but scrapping the minimum wage isn't going to help the economy: but it certainly would impoverish those already on a very low income.
  • Options
    I was starting a debate and the reason it's poignant to me at the minute is of course because of my personal circumstances but I wouldn't want it changed just for me. But it's the kind of thing you think about when you are in my position. So don't think that qualifies as extremely selfish.

The argument is that on one side, minimum wage prevents exploitation of labour. That is a fair and valid point. The other argument, is that it sets a price floor and so marginally there are people who would have worked for a little less and employers who would have employed for a little less that never happen, that is lost employment / income for the whole of society.

It really does depend on your perspective though, and I personally have always believed in a free market approach. It's just more at the front of my mind -now- that I am in the position I am. I feel like the UK is somewhat of a welfare state where it can be difficult for many people (and I have lots of friends and family who have experience etc. who are evidence of this, but thats just my 'circle' so may not necessarily be true for the whole of the UK, but thats how we make our opinions isnt it ;)) where it can be hard to get work and the rewards vs. being on income support are limited.

Plenty of times I've seen on this forum people asking for job advice and being told they're better off not working because they will lose many of their benefits.

Again, I resent your implication of selfishness, everyones opinions are formed by their own circumstances, I'm not blaming it on asylum seekers or some other nonsensical reason, I'm acknowledging the economy is slowing down and also conjecturing that price floors may restrict the ability of the free market to react to this leading to unneccessary unemployment. Of course, if I was in a job this thought is never really going to cross my mind. And I'd probably be arguing the opposite if I was on the minimum wage.
  • Options
    No. A supermarket will employ the number of people it takes to stack the shelves. If it takes 100 people, then they're not going to hire 101, just because they're cheaper. That money could be going towards their profits or towards a price cut for customers.

To an extent, but their is a difference in the margins.

Take a farmer, without paying minimum wage he might employ ten people for ten days to pick his strawberrys and get 100%

However if it costs more to employ people, he might decide 90% is enough and he'll employ 9 people for ten days.

As I said it's marginal, but the marginality depends on how high the minimum wage is.
  • Options
    To an extent, but their is a difference in the margins.

Take a farmer, without paying minimum wage he might employ ten people for ten days to pick his strawberrys and get 100%

However if it costs more to employ people, he might decide 90% is enough and he'll employ 9 people for ten days.

As I said it's marginal, but the marginality depends on how high the minimum wage is.

Why would he do that? Assuming that the tenth worker picks as many strawberries, the only thing that is effected by the minimum wage is the percentage profit. A lower percentage means you need to do more volume, not less. So an increase in wages means that he'd need to increase his production to make the same absolute profit, not reduce it. You would also assume that his other costs would remain fairly constant whether he picks 90% or 100%, so it's even more important to run at capacity.
  • Options
    It really does depend on your perspective though, and I personally have always believed in a free market approach.

Even the USA has a minimum wage (admittedly extremely low - although varying between states). Before the minimum wage in Britain, under the 'free market approach' you believe in, there were a lot of people getting paid £1-£2 per hour - sometimes even less.
    and the rewards vs. being on income support are limited.

Plenty of times I've seen on this forum people asking for job advice and being told they're better off not working because they will lose many of their benefits.

:confused: That's an argument for a higher minimum wage.
    Again, I resent your implication of selfishness

It's nothing personal - but of course, it's selfishness and I'm surprised you can't see that.
  • Options
    Even the USA has a minimum wage (admittedly extremely low - although varying between states). Before the minimum wage in Britain, under the 'free market approach' you believe in, there were a lot of people getting paid £1-£2 per hour - sometimes even less.

I agree there needs to be intervention in order to make sure that people do get a fair deal but my main point is that where is the right place to draw the line? I think on a boom you get more leeway with it because you're essentially chasing growth (so the freemarket tends to outpace minimum wage anyway) but in recession with the market shrinking it creates a price floor that in natural circumstances the price would drop but its artifically held high. An example could be the price of onions. Recession means less income means less demand for onions so shops with onions and farms producing onions accept a lower price for them to achieve maximum revenue on the onions they have and avoid where possible waste. But then the government has stepped in and said the price of onions is fixed, so even though shops have loads of onions they cant shift and people cant afford to buy them (well, in marginal cases), they are prohibited from reducing the price.

In the same way a shop sells onions, an individual sells his labour. So despite me being willing to sell it for less than the minimum because there is a shortage of willing buyers and tbh my labour is just being wasted as is, (more on that in a moment) the government has imposed restrictions. These are fine normally because they stop people being conned into a low price but when the market is shrinking... people are negatively effected.

:confused: That's an argument for a higher minimum wage.

It was supposed to be an argument looking at the state of the economy. Why is it that we have generally high paying jobs with highish levels of tax (22% I think of what you earn, then 17.5% of what you spend, more on fuel, more on alcohol etc. - not that i implicitly disagree however) that goes into providing lots of welfare for 25% of the working population.

The problem is wider than just whats best for each individual, its that 25% of people of working age who are not working (I don't know whether this includes housewives/husbands - it should because they are working / contributing) are not putting anything into the economy. The official unemployment is around 5% which means people who are actively seeking employment (so you must have applied for a job within 6 weeks and be signed on - although many unemployed people do not necessarily fit that criteria - me for example), so this 5% are able and willing to work (and, if they are doing nothing with their labour, why not sell it for £1 an hour, or £2 an hour? Surely better than sitting at home) but because of the way the system works they're better off at home.

I do not see what would be wrong with income top ups working roughly like this (as an example, dont take figures literally):
    Base receiving: £50 income support
    If you earn £30 a week regardless of hours you lose half of that in income support i.e. £30 earned income + £35 income support = £65 --> you are better off for having worked (which cost you nothing in real terms since you were just wasting your labour anyway and potentially de-skilling). This would go up until when you earn £100 you have no income support.

Minimum wage perpetuates this situation because it is unlikely someone will be able to work for £25 a week because of the fixed prices of income. So it becomes a decision of either full time happy employment (that becomes limited due to demand) or staying on the social completely because anything else you lose out. In the meantime you are becomming a less and less attractive option to an employer because you haven't been in work for x weeks.
    It's nothing personal - but of course, it's selfishness and I'm surprised you can't see that.

I see it more of an issue has aroused my thinking based on my own self interest and situation, I always think selfishness implies ignorance of others situations and don't think that's necessarily true.
  • Options
    Prices are still relative. Reduce people's wages, the price of labour goes down, and the price of products go down marginally. But people have less to spend on them, so we're back where we started. And since the current prices are a result of a supply and demand issue, fuel prices, and speculation on commodities in the light of a falling dollar, we would still have all of the same problems. Incidentally, I'm not very good at economics, but wouldn't it simply reduce Briton's spending power in comparison to their European neighbours, putting us at a further disadvantage on a world scale? The minimum wage should be at a level that the economy can support, and we're not even in recession yet.
  • Options
    I think on a boom you get more leeway with it because you're essentially chasing growth (so the freemarket tends to outpace minimum wage anyway) but in recession with the market shrinking it creates a price floor that in natural circumstances the price would drop but its artifically held high.

The minimum wage is not artificially high. People are struggling on the minimum wage - recession or not, people on already low incomes cannot easily afford a cut in their minimum wage... and if it doesn't keep up with inflation the minimum wage will fall.
    These are fine normally because they stop people being conned into a low price but when the market is shrinking... people are negatively effected.

I see your point - but I think that the hardship abolishing/freezing the minimum wage would generate, outweighs any possible benefits.
    I see it more of an issue has aroused my thinking based on my own self interest and situation, I always think selfishness implies ignorance of others situations and don't think that's necessarily true.

I think we're all selfish to some extent, it's not an attack. However, whilst is impossible to entirely separate our own personal interests from our beliefs, the 'right' thing may not accord with our own personal interests. i.e. it would be in the interests of students living with their parents and unable to find a job for the summer to work for a bit less (and therefore get a job) - that doesn't make freezing, or even abolishing the minimum wage 'right'. I think you're right that there is a case for greater flexibility with regard to benefits and working - but any compromise on the fundamental principles behind the minimum wage means a return to the very dark days of people getting paid £1 or £2/hour.
  • Options
    Why would he do that? Assuming that the tenth worker picks as many strawberries, the only thing that is effected by the minimum wage is the percentage profit. A lower percentage means you need to do more volume, not less. So an increase in wages means that he'd need to increase his production to make the same absolute profit, not reduce it. You would also assume that his other costs would remain fairly constant whether he picks 90% or 100%, so it's even more important to run at capacity.

The people needed to get the 95% make him the profit, an extra person to pick 5% doesn't earn him any profit, because the 5% he picks pay the wages. The reason is that very seldom is every extra person added on going to equal the same amount of work

So for example the first person he employs can clear 15% of the field, the next person clears 14% (because he's sometimes ging over ground picked by the other). by the time you get to the last person he's only add 5% value. Depending where the wages are set that 5% may be worth more than the person wages, but the higher the wages are the less likely that the extra 5% becomes worthwhile.
  • Options
    "minimum wage minimum impact" by Dickens and Mannings is essential reading for anyone who thinks the minimum wage brought loads of people out of poverty and millions will suffer if it is scrapped. It didnt and they wont.
  • Options
    Why would he do that?

Because the wage is determined by the marginal product of labour. As fg says the person on the margin produces the least due to diminishing returns but he also sets the wage. Its efficient for the value of the last unit produced to be equal to its cost which means the last person earns what he produces. When the minimum wage goes up the wage is no longer equal to the marginal product and a farmer will not pay money to a person who is producing less than is being paid.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    Because the wage is determined by the marginal product of labour. As fg says the person on the margin produces the least due to diminishing returns but he also sets the wage. Its efficient for the value of the last unit produced to be equal to its cost which means the last person earns what he produces. When the minimum wage goes up the wage is no longer equal to the marginal product and a farmer will not pay money to a person who is producing less than is being paid.
    It's not something that applies to picking fruit though. It takes so many man hours to pick and entire field of veg. This number of hours doesn't change, and so the number of workers is only dependent on how quickly you want the job doing. If it take 1 hour for one man to pick 10KG of butternut squash, then you have to sell that box of butternut squash for 1 hour of wages + any other logistical costs. You get an extra man, and you get 20KG in the same hour, but you pay twice as much. It's not an industry, like perhaps the hospitality industry, where an extra staff member doesn't necessarily equal an extra "persons worth" of production. My issue was only with the strawberry picking analogy, not the general concept, because my main argument was precisely the point that in a workplace like a supermarket, there are only so many shelves to stack, after which they'd have staff members standing around doing nothing. And so it doesn't matter what the minimum wage is. Tesco will hire the number of people it takes to do the job. Farmers on the other hand are free to hire the maximum number of people they can handle logistically, because it is a job with a clear end point. When the work is done, you no longer have to pay the staff.

What Shyboy's talking about is the ability to undercut everyone else. Because if you're willing to do the job for £4 an hour, and so want the minimum wage reducing to £4 an hour, then all of the existing staff wages would just go down in line with that (maybe over time), and there'd still be no jobs.

Incidentally, £8 an hour picking butternut squash. :thumb: I sawd it on the tele.
  • Options
    It's not something that applies to picking fruit though. It takes so many man hours to pick and entire field of veg. This number of hours doesn't change, and so the number of workers is only dependent on how quickly you want the job doing. If it take 1 hour for one man to pick 10KG of butternut squash, then you have to sell that box of butternut squash for 1 hour of wages + any other logistical costs. You get an extra man, and you get 20KG in the same hour, but you pay twice as much. It's not an industry, like perhaps the hospitality industry, where an extra staff member doesn't necessarily equal an extra "persons worth" of production. My issue was only with the strawberry picking analogy, not the general concept, because my main argument was precisely the point that in a workplace like a supermarket, there are only so many shelves to stack, after which they'd have staff members standing around doing nothing. And so it doesn't matter what the minimum wage is. Tesco will hire the number of people it takes to do the job. Farmers on the other hand are free to hire the maximum number of people they can handle logistically, because it is a job with a clear end point. When the work is done, you no longer have to pay the staff.

What Shyboy's talking about is the ability to undercut everyone else. Because if you're willing to do the job for £4 an hour, and so want the minimum wage reducing to £4 an hour, then all of the existing staff wages would just go down in line with that (maybe over time), and there'd still be no jobs.

Incidentally, £8 an hour picking butternut squash. :thumb: I sawd it on the tele.

But few firms do hire the number needed to do the job to perfection. I often go shopping and the shelves aren't 100% full. usually it's minor enough not to matter and I buy an alternative instead (or my wife does - I just push the trolley). Tesco could hire more people, though and keep these shelves 100%. however they've worked out that the extra staff needed to keep them at 100% costs them more than the extra profit they get by having them at 99% full. If the staff cost more they might decide to reduce them and keep the shelves 98% full.

As I say, it's at the margins and in macro-economic terms the the minimum wage is low enough it doesn't make much difference. There's other things which have more impact (which is why France with better employment protection has less people employed who can take advantage of it).
  • Options
    But few firms do hire the number needed to do the job to perfection. I often go shopping and the shelves aren't 100% full. usually it's minor enough not to matter and I buy an alternative instead (or my wife does - I just push the trolley). Tesco could hire more people, though and keep these shelves 100%. however they've worked out that the extra staff needed to keep them at 100% costs them more than the extra profit they get by having them at 99% full. If the staff cost more they might decide to reduce them and keep the shelves 98% full.

As I say, it's at the margins and in macro-economic terms the the minimum wage is low enough it doesn't make much difference. There's other things which have more impact (which is why France with better employment protection has less people employed who can take advantage of it).

But if the minimum wage goes up, people have more money to spend in Tesco, and so they can afford to put their prices up accordingly (which they will have to do to maintain the same profit margins). As long as there's a direct relationship between the amount people earn and the amount Tesco charges for food, the exact amount of the minimum wage isn't especially important. If the minimum wage (and the wage bill) goes down, the Tesco has to drop their prices accordingly or risk losing all of their business. And in that instance, they're keeping their margins, but their absolute profit is less, and the market share shifts slightly towards the higher end of the market.
  • Options
    I'm working for £4 an hour scrubbing floors. Technically, its a "work placement" and I get a lump sum of £150. Its rubbish and I wouldn't be able to afford to live if I weren't staying with my parents. I'm doing it as a stop gap because I need the cash whilst I job hunt. It's also pretty depressing. Every 15 minutes of back breaking work earns me £1... I'd probs earn more looking for dropped change on a busy road.
  • Options
    maeinfin wrote: »
    I'm working for £4 an hour scrubbing floors. Technically, its a "work placement" and I get a lump sum of £150. Its rubbish and I wouldn't be able to afford to live if I weren't staying with my parents. I'm doing it as a stop gap because I need the cash whilst I job hunt. It's also pretty depressing. Every 15 minutes of back breaking work earns me £1... I'd probs earn more looking for dropped change on a busy road.

My sister was working for £2 an hour on a work placement which was a lot like slave labour, but the benefits really outweighed the negatives (except in her circumstance she got picked on by one of the bosses):
    - on the job training, shes now a level 2 hairdresser whatever that is (she can do cuts, dyes, etc. but not advanced perms like afros)
    - some spending money at the end of the week, you dont get that at college!
    - learning what it is about to be in a job 9 - 5 and having to work hard for a living, my first job was hell and I stand by that, but if I went back now it might be different because I've a very different work attitude
  • Options
    And since the current prices are a result of a supply and demand issue, fuel prices, and speculation on commodities in the light of a falling dollar, we would still have all of the same problems.

I think you have missed a major, if not the major, element out. Prices are measured in paper, and the supply of that paper has been accelerating over the last few years.The last figure I saw published officially was 14% per annum !
  • Options
    OK folks,if it is such a wonderful thing why is the minimum wage not £100 per hour ?
  • Options
    OK folks,if it is such a wonderful thing why is the minimum wage not £100 per hour ?

There's no point. You'd just kick off some bad ass inflation and upset the economy until it found equilibrium again at the same-ish place it's at today, only diffrence that you've got higher numbers.

Like when I was doing my shitty low end job I got paid 900 ISK, once 50 ISK was a stellar amount. It's always going to be the same shit, just different numbers.
  • Options
    But if the minimum wage goes up, people have more money to spend in Tesco, and so they can afford to put their prices up accordingly (which they will have to do to maintain the same profit margins). As long as there's a direct relationship between the amount people earn and the amount Tesco charges for food, the exact amount of the minimum wage isn't especially important. If the minimum wage (and the wage bill) goes down, the Tesco has to drop their prices accordingly or risk losing all of their business. And in that instance, they're keeping their margins, but their absolute profit is less, and the market share shifts slightly towards the higher end of the market.

That's only true if they spend it in Tescos. Likelihood is people are more likely to spend it elsewhere. the wealthier you get the smaller proportion of your money goes to Tescos or any food shopping and the more goes on other things.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how much the minimum wage actually drives up living costs for everyone. Prices used to go up every year before the minimum wage was introduced, didn't they? If it is a factor, I wouldn't say it's a significant one.
  • Options
    I don't know. Maybe it does, but then it also prevents exploitation of workers.

Minimum wage is so low, I still consider it exploitation.

I am currently on £6.50 per hour and that is not enough to realistically live in London. Minimum wage is lower than that.

I think that either people on under £13K should be taxed less, or minimum wage in London should go up to £7 per hour.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I'm not sure how much the minimum wage actually drives up living costs for everyone. Prices used to go up every year before the minimum wage was introduced, didn't they? If it is a factor, I wouldn't say it's a significant one.
    I agree. I still remember the predictions of gloom and economic ruin for millions many a businessman and Tory politician cried to the four winds when the minimum wage was first proposed. It turned out to be bald-faced lies and malicious garbage.

Invariably every proposal for a decent annual rise is met with similar warnings of doom. Invariably all such warnings are greatly exaggerated or plain lies.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I still remember the predictions of gloom and economic ruin for millions many a businessman and Tory politician cried to the four winds when the minimum wage was first proposed.
    Oh god yes. It was a bit hard to stomach it when these sorts of claims were coming from business leaders who'd had their sixth lunch of the day, (here's looking at you, Sir Digby Jones) or MPs who had their own butlers...
  • Options
    the minimun wage should guarantee that you are paid a minimum necesary to live mind you with official inflation at something like 1/10 the real inflation for people at the lower end lots of people will be in more than shit soon