Home Introduce Yourself
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Hi from Greece

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I live in Greece, was born on Kalymnos but this Friday I'm moving to England with my new family who I have been living with for over a year now. My name is Poppi and I am American-Greek. I've just gotten 18 last month. :)

I found this site by accident and been reading down the threads.. all very interesting. Just wish I had found you before because then I would have had more time to post. This Friday I'm sharing the driving up to England though this will probably mean I won't get internet access until finding a hotel.

Be nice getting to know you.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi, welcome to TheSite :)
    Hello n welcome :) :wave: :hyper: :yippe:
    Thanks for your welcome, Jim also. I hope your weather is cooler where you live. Here it's just reached 38 C
    I wish it was that temperature here :( I love love love the heat :D

oh and welcome :)
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    :wave: I like your avatar.
    hi. welcome to the site.
    i hope the move goes well.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Hello. :p
    What a nice welcome - thanks! :)

It's the humidity that makes things feel hotter. House we're renting acts like a storage heater, belts the heat out at night. The landlord never fitted air con so all we have are our own portables. Our computer's case is a Thermaltake that is good but its 8 built in fans can not cope when night time heat jacks up to an all time 41 like it did last week. :eek

Helen thanks re my avatar. I found it on a birding site. It's a bluebird.
    Hello. :p

Aha! Indrid requested reinforcements.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Aha! Indrid requested reinforcements.
    Mwahaha, they've been here already, longer than you know... Just undercover.
    Soon, very soon, we'll take over thesite. You'll never sleep calmly again.
    OH NO! THE INVASION OF ZE GREEKS

tomorrow's headline
    Sup! Welcome!
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Welcome to the mad house.
    Welcome, its a nice place to be around here !!
    What a fantastic welcome! So lovely to come back after being roasted today to see so many welcoming messages. :)

This morning I had gotten down to Emboreios on my quad bike when it spluttered to a halt, presumably from dirty petrol that my island has been getting this previous month. It broke down on the Skalia road which is no fun because the road faces the sun, the humidity was dreadful and there was nobody around either except a herd of inquisitive goats thinking I had brought them food. Glad I always carry water along with my mobile I found the shade of an olive tree and sat and waiting being collected. But one of the goats I recognised as having been belonged to my family who last winter shepherded a flock of of 50 before we sold them on. Well this goat I knew to be called Henry 2, the little one and only came and lay down beside me. :) Folded its legs and leaned its head against my legs. But when I gave it some of my water, all the others wanted some. Lol.

Have you ever been licked by goats? Eurgh!

Finally I gotten home by 4 pm, the quad (I call it my Kimmy) towed from our truck. Now its petrol had been siphoned off and replaced. So if you ever come to Kalymnos bring your own gas!

Love Poppi
    Just an update on what's been happening. :)

Hiya friends! I thought it wouldn't be long before we got some sort of internet connection again after having travelled some 1200 kilometres up crazy Italian highways and even crazier Italian drivers. We are now settled into Lucerne for the next 3 nights. The weather here is a very pleasant 25 C or so, showery, bit cloudy but very nice. We have a huuuuge bedroom over looking the Lake with old fashioned paddle steamers hooting and paddering around on the vast water that stretches into shades of blueness and distant mountains as far as the eye can see.

The hotel is vast, 5 stars but beautiful for its location. There weren’t any cheaper hotels to be found so instead we chose this old place because it's a mixture of old fashionedness and moderness all rolled into one. But tastefully so. We got a 50% reduction for "late booking" and a further 20% reduction because there's some builder's scaffolding across the (small) balcony of our rooms. And that is quite a lot off. But we had to bargain for it. These big hotels can afford it, though. But everywhere throughout the hotel is lovely. The Palace Hotel, Lucerne. Do feel a bit of a poser here:

http://www.palace-luzern.ch/en/

Thankfully we're out of Greece for July and most of August. August is always known to be hot. But as you know, I spoke of a heat wave in Kalymnos but as soon as we got out of Piraeus and up into the mainland, the heat increased to 40 degrees C. But once we got to Patras for the final ferry journey to Ancona in Italy, the heat belted down upon us at 46 degrees + 93% humidity. I sweated cobs. Don't know what that is exactly in Fahrenheit but it's a lot. I did some of the driving, and 2 adults also but I preferred to drive our truck that is a Toyota which is just so nice as it‘s got cruise control fitted in its otherwise (very!) dented and scratched body. Italian highways are pretty good but like a racetrack with gigolos sneering at us from their Ferraris and Maseratis. Fast cars and even faster men. I gave many the finger. I don‘t take kindly to being tailgated off the road when all I wanted was to overtake a cement truck.

Last night we stayed over in Cremona which is where all those lovely violins and cellos are still made by hand there, but we didn't have the time to find out where. It would've been very interesting I'm sure. But after searching a few of those Italian hotels we came away with the impression that the further you go inland the worse the service and the higher the tariff.

9:25 pm now and all's quiet. I think everyone’s away downstairs drinking and dancing but I like a bit of solitude and being here.

All the best!
    Catch up with you sometime soon.

Love Poppi