Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

bzp

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What is the current legal status ?

Is it still legal for personal use but not for selling? thesite.org states that it is illegal for sale, depsite there being 100s of sites openly selling it.

thanks in adv.

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Why anybody would want to buy this is beyond me. :yuck:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ive always enjoyed it.

any ideas on the questions?
    Good question, my understanding is that it may well be covered by the Medicines Act, which means importing for your own use is legal. However selling it within the UK would be illegal.

But - and this is the big issue. The government has withdrawn all of the BZP containing pills from the market because there was a possibility that they were illegal - but I havent actually heard whether they have made a judgement.

I am reasonably sure it isnt covered by the Misuse of Drugs Act, although it could have been added during the last tinkering with that document.

On the Home Office website there is a list of all the drugs which are currently illegal, that would be the best place to get a definitive answer.
    off the home office web site

Class A Ecstasy, LSD, heroin, cocaine, crack, magic mushrooms, amphetamines (if prepared for injection).

Class B Amphetamines, Methylphenidate (Ritalin), Pholcodine.

Class C Cannabis, tranquilisers, some painkillers, Gamma hydroxybutyrate (GHB), Ketamine.
    No, there is a specific list giving all the chemical names, its much longer than that and covers all the items listed in PIHKAL.
    legal status unclassified therefore possession is not illegal.
    thats from wikpedia and it isnt listed on the home office site.
  • +Chimpy++Chimpy+ Deactivated Posts: 37 Boards Initiate
    Bzp

Hi all,
    Just digging into some research on this and the current legal status of BZP appears to be unclassified. Last year an evaluation of the drug was forwarded to the EU Council for review:

‘The European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (EMCDDA) is undertaking a European-wide risk assessment of BZP for the EU Commission. The Commission will then present either a legislative proposal to the EU Council for the substance to be subjected to control measures or an explanation of why it considers control measures would not be appropriate.’

From the same document:

‘It was noted that New Zealand brought BZP under control of their Misuse of Drugs Act (which has a similar tripartite classification system to the UK) in 2005 by creating a new class – Class D. This was a pending class, enabling BZP to be sold under various licensing conditions including restrictions on age of purchase. Its classification is currently under review.’

Source: Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (May 2007)

However, the EMCDDA has recently produced a document which came to a decision on its classification. It defined BZP as:

‘… a new psychoactive substance which is to be made subject to control measures and criminal provisions. The Member States have one year to take the necessary measures, in accordance with their national law, to submit BZP to control measures, proportionate to the risks of the substance, and criminal penalties.’

Source
    (.pdf document)
    The class D situation in New Zealand has been reversed I believe, which is a real shame because it was a really interesting way forward allowing for controlled sale of recreational drugs.
    Is BZP essentially speed? It's not like E, is it? ((I have never seen or tried it myself))
    Teagan wrote: »
    Is BZP essentially speed? It's not like E, is it? ((I have never seen or tried it myself))

No - but it is a stimulant.
    Teagan wrote: »

id say its more like e than speed.
    bossa wrote: »
    id say its more like e than speed.

Do you feel better the next day after it than you do on speed?
    could you feel any worse than you do after speed? yuk!

its no where near as good as e, but better than speed overall!
    BZP is usually sold in combination with TFMPP (another piperazine) which some people say is similar to MDMA. In my experience it's not, it's alot more speedy and longer lasting, there's barely any euphoria either. I've never had BZP on it's own so I can't comment, but I'd say the BZP+TFMPP combination left me feeling alot worse afterwards than speed does, speed just makes me want to sit around all day afterwards, BZP+TFMPP made me feel seriously ill.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    In my experience it's not, it's alot more speedy and longer lasting, there's barely any euphoria either. I've never had BZP on it's own so I can't comment, but I'd say the BZP+TFMPP combination left me feeling alot worse afterwards than speed does, speed just makes me want to sit around all day afterwards, BZP+TFMPP made me feel seriously ill.

:yes: I agree
    Weekender Offender