Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

"Fuck off" earns 2 marks in GCSE English

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    This is nothing compared to just spelling your name right. If you write your name on an exam, you've passed.

What a deeply personal and original thought you have that all exams are so easy that even (ho ho) writing your NAME will get you a pass! Yeeeeah!

I wish they gave out some sort of ASBO equivalent for users of lazy received ideas.
    He should have been given 27. Kudos to that kid.
    The examiner was right: the statement was grammatically correct, conveyed a basic meaning and was spelled correctly. It's fully worthy of a mark or two.

As for banning obscenities from the exam, it's a language paper. Last time I checked my OED fuck, piss, shit and cunt were all there.
    If the two words were written without attempting to answer the question, or was not in context, than NO points should have been awarded.
    Kermit wrote: »
    The examiner was right: the statement was grammatically correct, conveyed a basic meaning and was spelled correctly. It's fully worthy of a mark or two....

OMG ... I find myself agreeing with Kermit ... the end of the world is nigh :)
    What I'd like to know is whether the author of the apparently 100% genuine answer below was given any marks. Because if any cheey answer in an exam paper was ever worthy of marks, this is it:

Homework-Find-x-Here-it-is.gif

There is nothing wrong with that answer, either.

:D
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Well, that's 100% correct. They should have said "calculate x" :p
    Well, that's 100% correct. They should have said "calculate x" :p

or find the value of x
    Teagan wrote: »
    If the two words were written without attempting to answer the question, or was not in context, than NO points should have been awarded.

But the answer was perfectly in context and answered the question. The question asked them to do something, they eloquently said no. It was a succinct phrase which was grammatically correct, therefore in a language exam it is worthy of a mark or two.
    What a deeply personal and original thought you have that all exams are so easy that even (ho ho) writing your NAME will get you a pass! Yeeeeah!

I wish they gave out some sort of ASBO equivalent for users of lazy received ideas.
    You do, I never said it was a good pass, but it DOES class as a pass.
    If all you write is your name you don't get a pass, not even a G grade. Nor will you pass an exam by writing "fuck off" as a response to every question.
    Kermit wrote: »
    But the answer was perfectly in context and answered the question. The question asked them to do something, they eloquently said no. It was a succinct phrase which was grammatically correct, therefore in a language exam it is worthy of a mark or two.

One can tell you're a lawyer ... ;)
    Nah, I studied English Language at A'Level and learned that grammar is subjective and that there's no such thing as bad language.
    I have a feeling that the kid will end being hugely successful and a multi millionaire by 21.

Or a smackhead.
    It occurs to me that the examiner - with hundreds or thousands of papers to mark - might just have been having a giggle at the end of a long day! :chin:
    flynn wrote: »
    It occurs to me that the examiner - with hundreds or thousands of papers to mark - might just have been having a giggle at the end of a long day! :chin:

hundreds of thousands? :chin:
    Another good one was a couple of years ago - I can't remember if these were GCSE or A-level papers - the paper asked the candidate to choose between question A or B.

So...a few smart arsed students simply wrote 'I choose question A'.

Well, there was nothing in the question to ask the students to actually answer their chosen question.

Oh, and I was talking to a few fellow history tutors in Sheffield the other day, and one who had been marking exam scripts said that one first year student had answered the question 'was globalisation accompanied by fragmentation?' with 3 words: 'not very much'! Something tells me s/he will have to resit....
    budda wrote: »
    Given the question was 'describe the room you are sitting in' I think its a very reasonable answer, its a stupid question.

As others have said its not like they are awarding big scores for this, if thats all the person put down then they are probably going to fail whether or not they get the two points.

erm actually its not a difficult question to answer and with current schooling levels and the average ability of teens it probably is a chalenge if anything the answers shows a taking for granted and a can't be bothered attitude !

(do i get an extra point for that exclamation mark ? ;) )