Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Laptop

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay i need your help, I'm buying a laptop, but i know fuck all about computers. So i need help with what im looking for.

I'll be using it for Uni work, music, films, messing about on the internet, uploading pictures and playing the sims.

Can anyone help me out here?

If i've not given enough info just let me know and i'll add whatevers needed.

Comments

• Options
    How much?
  • Options
    Is portability important? If so, a 15 inch screen might be better. If you're going to keep it in one place all the time, a 17 inch screen will be better for watching films.
  • Options
    up to £500
    and yeah portability is a factor, so im looking for a 15 inch screen now
  • Options
    Any ideas on what kinda hard drive/memory/other specs im looking for?
  • Options
    Hmm, your most likely want at least:

1-2GB Ram

100GB + Hard driver

Least a dual core 2 Processor :)
  • Options
    The middle one.

But I was only looking for 2 minutes, so I'm sure someone can beat it.
  • Options
    The middle one.

But I was only looking for 2 minutes, so I'm sure someone can beat it.
    That's a pretty good spec for the price, and should do everything you want from iit.
  • Options
    Get a VAIO. Then buy RAM for about £10 a stick from http://www.microdirect.co.uk rarther than from VAIO because they are a RIP OFF with upgrades.

I use a VAIO for the sims etc, works okay, not the best but I'm not a graphic noob. As long as it plays and doesn't lag too much, I don't mind.
  • Options
    everyone i know seems to really hate dells, i've been told by my brother that dells have terrible batteries and need to be replaced every 6 months or something ridiculous like that, how true is that?
  • Options
    i've been told that dells have terrible batteries and need to be replaced every 6 months or something ridiculous like that, how true is that?
    I've been using a dell laptop for about 2 years. The battery stopped holding much charge after about a year, although I think it might have been partly my fault. If you can get a warranty they'll cover all that stuff.
  • Options
    i've been told that dells have terrible batteries and need to be replaced every 6 months or something ridiculous like that, how true is that?

Nonsense. For a long time they'd have caught fire before the 6 month deadline, but that's been sorted now :). And it was an industry-wide problem, the batteries were manufactured by Sony.

Laptop battery life is entirely dependant on use by the owner, and their particular habits.

The battery on my Dell laptop, with a 17" 1920x1200 screen and without the power saving abilities of the core2duo processors, is approximately 2 hours 45 minutes. My battery is approximately 4 months old, and is currently as good as the day it was delivered to me.

So is my smartphone, incidentally. That'll be 3 years old in a couple of weeks, and still lasts between 4 and 5 days on a full charge.