Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Bit of a stupid quesiton - smear test

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I know i've been bad I've never been for my smear and I'm 26 but going to make appointment this week, so please don't go on about not going cos I know I've done wrong.

Where do you go for yours? I was going to make an appointment with a nurse at the doctors as when I was at the doctors last week the dr told me off and the nurse came in and told me to go and see her, plus I know her so will put me at ease.
However I know you can go for one at the local fpa clinic but they are only open one night a week I think.

Also, any advise for my first smear, I'm dreading it, cos I'm a private person when it comes to 'womens matters'

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just relax as much as you can. Go somewhere else in your head. The nurse doing it might not mind if you talk to her about something completly mundane while she's doing it.

It's really nothing to worry about. They give you a sheet to put over yourself usually, so you're not too exposed. They'll probably tell you how to position yourself when you're there, but just incase they don't it's much more pleasant if you put your feet together so the balls of them are touching eachother and let your knees drop down... much easier not to clench than if you have you legs up and your feet on the bed.

It's very quick and everyone has it done, so don't worry about it.
    Thanks, thats what I thought she talks to me bout random things!! Just hope I can get appointment with her, going to tell recpetionist that she told me to book appointment with her!
    Wear a skirt and no tights - that way you can preserve as much of your modesty as you can
    Don't own any 'day skirts' only ones I own I go out in and not suitable!!
    what about a longish tunic top over trousers so its long enough to cover your foofoo a bit.
    what about a longish tunic top over trousers so its long enough to cover your foofoo a bit.

Don't have any that would do either. Im short but big busted so all my tops go short :(
  • PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    You can either have it done by your doctor (and request a female one), the nurse at your actual local health centre/general practise, or at a GUM/sexual health clinic. If you are embarrased about being a bit exposed and you aren't wearing a skirt, often if you ask they will put a big sheet of that paper stuff they line the bed with so that it covers you properly.

It's over very very quickly and they do it umpteen times a day so don't be embarrased. I think the best way to think about it is that when you have a baby they are 'down there' a lot longer! It's very hard to relax but if you do it will help to make it feel a bit more comfortable. If you tell the nurse/doc you are very nervous then they will take extra care and help take your mind off things by talking to you about random stuff! Hope it goes well,

Having a smear test

Pearly
    Thanks I've not phoned up yet period still seems to be very little tho, so going to try and get appointment for wed or thursday
    I just hate my body its horrible and I'm bigish and can't do any exercise just now cos of my asthma waiting for physio and its annoying me can't wait to start swimming again:mad:
    You may know this already, but they normally ask that you have your smear in the middle of your cycle - if you are bleeding it can affect the smear test and you may have to have it done again, so don't worry, waiting a week or so won't make a lot of difference if that's the case.

Take care,
    Pearly
    I told the dr i was due last week and she was like get it done asap but I was too ill last week, I might wait a week to would probably be better, I was sure that was the case
    Hi (I'm also Wisecrack some reason I have 2 logins think I lost one)
    I've made appointment for Tuesday at 3.50 - any advise?
    Should I wash before hand?
    I've made appointment for Tuesday at 3.50 - any advise?
    Should I wash before hand?

Yes definitely wash beforehand, it won't affect the results if you do, it's just nicer for the nurse ;-)

Hope it all goes OK and remember, if you are very nervous which is sounds like you will be, just tell the nurse/doc and they will be sympathetic. At the end of the day if you are looking at the uncomfortableness of a blood test or a smear, I would say a blood test was worse, but that's the thing, everyone is different. Just try and relax, not easy though I know.
    Some places will do them for under 25's if requested. Try phoning local GUM clinics as they are alot more easy about doing them under 25. I saw a few girls request them while I was working there :)