Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Speed Limit changes by council - ARGH!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, mostly a rant because i got a speeding ticket, well a speed camera clocked me doing 36mph in a 30mph zone which only the day before was a 40mph zone! They changed it, fair enough, changing speed limits isn't a problem with me... but it is when they don't put up any speed limit signs to say what the new limit is! Every other car on that road with me was doing 40ish mph so the council must have handed out thousands of speeding fines that day.

The thing that pisses me off is, if i complain or write a letter whcih i may do anyways, they will just say the new speed limit signs were up all along and i just didnt see them or pay attention to them, but i am certain the new speed limit signs were NOT put up until at least a couple of days later! The metal wiring is still wrapped around lamp posts where the old 40mph speed limit signs used to be! It is so unfair to change the speed limit and not make it remotely clear they have done it, now i have 3 points on my license and a fine to pay!

Comments

• Options
    And you don't want to open yourself up to a driving without due care and attention case
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote: »
    Ok, mostly a rant because i got a speeding ticket, well a speed camera clocked me doing 36mph in a 30mph zone which only the day before was a 40mph zone! They changed it, fair enough, changing speed limits isn't a problem with me... but it is when they don't put up any speed limit signs to say what the new limit is! Every other car on that road with me was doing 40ish mph so the council must have handed out thousands of speeding fines that day.

The thing that pisses me off is, if i complain or write a letter whcih i may do anyways, they will just say the new speed limit signs were up all along and i just didnt see them or pay attention to them, but i am certain the new speed limit signs were NOT put up until at least a couple of days later! The metal wiring is still wrapped around lamp posts where the old 40mph speed limit signs used to be! It is so unfair to change the speed limit and not make it remotely clear they have done it, now i have 3 points on my license and a fine to pay!

It does sound quite unfair, but I think it's something you could possibly challenge, although you'd need a half decent solicitor to do it, which could cost you.
  • Options
    My family solicitor takes on the Leeds City Council every other day for all kinds of people, its practically all he does now, but is costly. I know there are signs up now with the new speed limit, they have taken down the 7 signs on the Road that said 40mph and put up 2 that say 30mph. But last week im certain they hadnt put up the new ones, anyways, once my solicitor says what he thinks i will decide what to do, out of my hands though really.

Its practically fraud what they do, way get money out of drivers!
  • Options
    If the signs are up now, you've not really got a case.
    Since you haven't taken photos of the area to show they weren't there, or did you?
  • Options
    Well, i didnt even know i was speeding and the limit had been changed until 9 days later when they sent me my speeding fine notice in the post and by then the 2 signs saying it was 30mph were up. No one would have known to take pictures because no one on the road that day new they were speeding.

But given all the other drivers on that road that day were doing 40mph like me, the amount of money in fines thats been taken must be in the many tens of thousands... maybe more!
  • Options
    All councils are the same. Newcastle Shitty Council have changed a load of speed limits too, thankfully I noticed in time that they'd removed the 40 reminder signs but it's disgusting.

All about councils trying to rob people blind. They're all the same. A friend of mine got a parking ticket last month because he pulled deep into a parking space without an end white line; apparently he was outside the markings. Tossers, they want hanging IMHO. And when I become benevolent dictator of the world they'll be first against the wall :D

It'd be worth appealing on the basis that the speed camera signs have to be in a prescribed format but the problem you'll have is that the Highway Code says the urban speed limit is 30mph unless otherwise stated. No 40 signs means the speed limit is 30 regardless of the lack of warning signs.

Which road was it, just so I know for future reference?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

It'd be worth appealing on the basis that the speed camera signs have to be in a prescribed format but the problem you'll have is that the Highway Code says the urban speed limit is 30mph unless otherwise stated. No 40 signs means the speed limit is 30 regardless of the lack of warning signs.

This will be the deciding point. If they left the 40mph signs up then you have a case. If they took them all down but didn't replace them, and it was a built up area, or there was street lighting then you don't.

Either way it's grossly unfair imo.
  • Options
    It is Otley Road in Leeds where they did this! It has been a 40mph zone since speed limits were introduced so its never been a 30mph zone at least not in living memory.

I think i might appeal, i doubt i will have a chance though, unless the fact they forgot to sign and date the notification notice i got in the post is classed a failure to follow correct procedure or something.

Im so scared now though, that i will be getting notices all over the places for speeding, i mean i have been driving for like 5 years now and never had one before or had points on my license.

By the way, does anyone know how badly this will affect my car insurance, having a speeding fine and points on my license?
  • Options
    Well ask them about the date on it, and if they can confirm when the new speed signs were actually erected, and to supply you with evidence. They may fill their pants and let things stand as they are.
  • Options
    Appeal and ask for evidence of the speed limit at the time, as MrG says. If they haven't signed and dated the notice then that could be abuse of procedure too, but I'm not that hot on traffic law. Get a solicitor to look at it.

Three points shouldn't affect your insurance too badly. It's more the £60 fine that'd piss me off.
  • Options
    The fine i can handle, but the 3 points, well, i drive for a living mostly combined with other work, but driving is a big part of it, so i need my license intact you know.

But i called my solicitor and he says a few people he represents were caught by it, and apparently in nearby roads in the area though not that road before, the speed limits have been changed between 30mph and 40mph every 6-12 months or so, so every time they change it loads of people get caught out, i couldnt believe it when he told me, but he says its quite common, least round here.
  • Options
    This site may help:

http://www.pepipoo.com/