Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

It's like a Toaster

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Forgive my ignorance, but in what respect is it 'like a toaster'?

I've got a feeling you mean something other than like they both have plugs on :p
  • Options
    Did you watch the YouTube Video?

it's a computer that turns on and ready to use in 5 seconds.

They say it's like a toaster in the video..

It's probably true what they say a lot of people don't switch of their computers cos it takes so long for them to start up.
  • Options
    I watched it without the sound as the speakers were on mute :blush:
  • Options
    My previous PC was like a toaster in size. It was one of those Shuttle machines.

Table12.jpg

My current machine is just a standard desktop though. I still have the Shuttle as a secondary PC.
  • Options
    That's stupid, it's not useable. If you want to run something like Photoshop you wouldn't be able to on that, since it's pre-defined programs only. Boot > Splash > OS, so you are working on a splash before anything actually loads program and driver wise.

Don't know what computer she has used in the past, but my laptop loads in less than 4 seconds completly. 2 seconds if I hibernate.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    That's stupid, it's not useable. If you want to run something like Photoshop you wouldn't be able to on that, since it's pre-defined programs only. Boot > Splash > OS, so you are working on a splash before anything actually loads program and driver wise.

Don't know what computer she has used in the past, but my laptop loads in less than 4 seconds completly. 2 seconds if I hibernate.
    It's useable if you only need certain functions straight away though, I guess. Dell laptops come with a similar function called Media Direct, which boots straight to the media player for playing DVDs etc. I personally think it's all a gimick anyway - I'd rather wait and have the full OS environment to play with!
  • Options
    You could easily make your PC boot faster without that program, get a new one and more RAM ;) Also, disabling start up programs helps, that's why mine boots in less than 5 seconds, I don't have it bogged down.

(Defragging, OS Reinstalls etc always help to though :D) I like Asus PC's though.
  • Options
    Hmmm yea... both of my PC's (the Shuttle as pictured above and the conventional desktop) boots from POST to desktop within a minute.
  • Options
    Did you play around with msconfig too? I have OS timeout set to 3 seconds, and no GUI boot.
  • Options
    Yes, I use Msconfig too. I only have my AV ticked (Nod32), and my Logitech Set-Point. Everything else can sod right off :-)
  • Options
    Looks rather cool to be honest. But yeah I agree, I'd rather wait for the full OS!