Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Culinary kings

C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
Hey there :wave:

If you're anything like me in the kitchen (utterly useless) a few cooking lessons wouldn't go amiss. It's not that I'm ignorant about ingredients or that I don't know any good recipes, it's because I'm the most impatient person ever when it comes to eating. If a tasty meal comes to mind I want it immediately. When I want chips I'll zap them in the microwave and then blast them in the oven at full heat. They normally come out burnt as hell, but I've found that ketchup masks the charcoal taste very effectively. It drives my housemate crazy! He's constantly turning on the extractor fan and spraying air freshener so the neighbours don't think we're on fire.

Last year TheSite.org met Lloyd and Daryl, two up-and-coming chefs who had been working on Jamie Oliver's Fifteen apprenticeship scheme. The scheme, for 18-24 year-olds, takes budding chefs and trains them up to a professional standard. Most of the apprentices were unemployed or out of education before joining the programme and now have a bright future in the restaurant industry.

It's been five years since the scheme started and Fifteen have recently started accepting applications for this years apprentices. If you want to apply you can fill in an online application form here. The deadline is July 15.

Have you got any good cooking stories?? :yeees:

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I like telling this story. It makes me look like I'm actually NOT the most stupid in my family.

My sister, who's 20 now (three years older than me) once was making herself some of those deadly awfully sinfully yummy things aka super noodles. And let me point out she is blonde and very very very very very very THICK. She put them in a bowl and put them in the microwave for however many minutes it says on the packet. Went out of the room and freaked out when she came back in and the microwave was smoking like hell. I came in and she's like why have they done that? Got in the microwave to have a look and them and just laughed.

"Hannah, you do have to put WATER in with them"

"Do you?"