Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Repeating 2nd year...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey guys,

Okay, so, basically after a completely disastrous year at uni, in just about every way imaginable, I've decided to make the decision of repeating 2nd year. I didn't go to class too often, spent most of my time in a weird depressed state, and tried to do a couple of very silly, or rather downright stupid things...which for me was completely out of character...I still can't work out what triggered it all...but it was a bit scary.

I know without doubt that this was the best decision for me, but I am terrified of making the same mistakes again...my target degree classification is a 2:1, which I know I am more than capable of, but the thought of having another year like this is scaring the shit out of me. How can I motivate myself and get into a better frame of mind so I don't go through a repeat performance of last years total disaster...?

capo2
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Hey how's it going? Did you pass your exams this year but just not get a 2:1 average because a 2:2 isn't as bad as it seems. If you did just fail then I recommend just taking a look at why you weren't going to class, get talking to your tutors, head of studies, they'll be more than willing to help and accomodate. If it's outside pressures then confront them too, I repeated first year myself and once I re-assessed myself I got back on track. Queen's is a doss anyway. :p
  • Options
    Well one of my tutors from last year spent a few long sessions talking to me and stuff...but like I'm shit scared of making the same mistakes twice! I did decide before I got my exam results, and I'm glad I did because I got 43 44 45 and 48...not good marks at all! Although I did expect to completely fail...:P
  • Options
    I think it's about having the right frame of mind. I don't really have that yet. Still prefer doing an honest days work to just doing whatever it is students do. I get sidetracked and feel like I'm wasting my time and get all depressed-ey. My friend who knows about that kind of thing said it's because at university there is little routine so you never feel like you have achieved something in that day, so you never really have a big boost to your self esteem, which makes sense I guess.