Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ryanair - bunch of tossers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I always fly with ryanair, once or twice a year down south, pretty cheap. however they're recent price hikes and added charges are beyond a fucking joke

Airport Check in Fee
£12.00 - PAY to stand in a shitty arse que, well whoopy, i'd choose online check in however I cant as I have a baby and we cant do online check in when using his Birth Cirtificate

Debit Card Fee
£4.00 - how else do they expect me to pay? really I do not know

Priority Boarding £12.00 - Free for online check in, but not when we have to stand in line due to baggage and having a baby (we do not need it but with a child it makes life so much easier, but due to us not being able to check in online we have to pay

Infant Fee £20.00 - Thats more than my bloody ticket and he doesn't even get a seat. WTF

Total Cost of pointless fees £48.00

Seriously, Ryanair are the biggest bunch of cunts i have ever met, and next time I deffinately will not fly with them
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    How else do you expect a budget airline to make their money?
  • Options
    the infant seat was more than your ticket? that's a joke, you should have bought him a seat and given yourself some extra space.

Was the surcharge just for debit cards and not for credit cards? Companies get incentives when they sign you up for a bit of debt from the company you bank with, it's the debt scam. scam. scam. scam.
  • Options
    theyre fuckers, and easyjet are just as bad
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    the infant seat was more than your ticket? that's a joke, you should have bought him a seat and given yourself some extra space.

But then they would still have had to pay the infant seat anyway and then another seat if they were to do that surely? A baby can't sit in its own seat.
  • Options
    er, hmmn, not sure how it works then, I thought mayb ethey were just going to carry him or carry on a car seat or something- wrong?
  • Options
    er, hmmn, not sure how it works then, I thought mayb ethey were just going to carry him or carry on a car seat or something- wrong?

He'd be on their lap. I don't know. I just thought that either way you would have to pay an infant fee whether they bought another seat or not because either way the baby wouldn't be able to sit in an adult seat alone.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    I wouldn't fly with them but thats because I've heard too many horror stories and I value my safety far too much

Care to share?
  • Options
    Rachie, Ryan air do not get you to sit in specifit seats with an infant, which i find absolutely shocking. when we asked they told us, "oh it don't matter we wont crash" and told us sit anywhere.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    All airlines (as far as I know) charge an infant fee - its usually just the tax.

The tax on what though, their parent's lap?
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I always fly with ryanair, once or twice a year down south, pretty cheap. however they're recent price hikes and added charges are beyond a fucking joke

Airport Check in Fee
    £12.00 - PAY to stand in a shitty arse que, well whoopy, i'd choose online check in however I cant as I have a baby and we cant do online check in when using his Birth Cirtificate

Debit Card Fee
    £4.00 - how else do they expect me to pay? really I do not know

Priority Boarding £12.00 - Free for online check in, but not when we have to stand in line due to baggage and having a baby (we do not need it but with a child it makes life so much easier, but due to us not being able to check in online we have to pay

Infant Fee £20.00 - Thats more than my bloody ticket and he doesn't even get a seat. WTF

Total Cost of pointless fees £48.00

Seriously, Ryanair are the biggest bunch of cunts i have ever met, and next time I deffinately will not fly with them

pretty bad. i have only one thing that rivals it. it was a school trip. to germany non the less. we arrived. the plain was delayed. they didnt have any sandwhiches. 16 hours later, we arrive on the plane. and what happened on this hour or so flight? THEY OFFER YOU A HALF ARSED COB WITH FILLINGS YOU DONT FUCKING WANT!! there must have been fifty od us. and they only gave each one of us a £5 voucher after ten hours. and you could only spend it once. no change.

that might have been ryan air too come to think of it...
  • Options
    Oh right, I'm with you. In which case I still don't get why the baby can't just have its own seated ticket at the cheaper price than the infant's fee.
  • Options
    No Rachie, the £20.00 infant fee wasn't tax

Infant Fee: £20.00
    Tax Fees and Charges: £75.56
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm suggesting a person take their baby on their lap as usual but buy it a proper seat ticket rather than the more expensive infant fee, that way they get a bit more space and a cheaper ticket.
  • Options

Was the surcharge just for debit cards and not for credit cards? Companies get incentives when they sign you up for a bit of debt from the company you bank with, it's the debt scam. scam. scam. scam.
    They wouldn't allow you to. They would try and sell the seat instead of giving it to you. Once I couldn't go on holiday because I had my exams the day we where flying so I couldn't go for 2 weeks, and it was a window seat, my auntie and cousin wanted the spare seat and even though she payed for it but I couldn't go, they tried to sell it to someone else, they never got the seat though, she wouldn't let them have it. :P
  • Options
    Just to peep my head in - I flew with Ryanair yesterday and the tuesday before and I think they were absolutley lovely and quick and on time and just very good. Not that I think of safety or out!

We were sat on a row of three right at the back of the plane when a very nice flight attendant asked if we were all over the age of 18. My friends who are 18 replied yes and then he said ok good and explained that the emergency exit seats couldnt be occupied by under 18's. I am 17 :D
  • Options
    the main thing that pisses me off is the £12 to check in at the fucking airport, which we have to do. why pay to que in a fucking line.
  • Options
    Those charges seem pretty bad but overall compared to other airlines those things you're getting charged extra for would be hidden in the regular ticket price.

I flew RyanAir 6 times last year - the most I paid for my airfare was £5 return including all taxes and fee's, - I can't even go into central London by train and home for that.
  • Options
    You have to pay to check in at the airport because it costs Ryanair money to do airport check in. You get your tickets cheaper because they bolt all their overheads on as extra fees. Don't use airport check in, don't use the hold and don't do priority boarding and you don't pay them.

Incidentally you don't have to pay the debit card fee if you use Visa Electron.

I've never had a problem with Ryanair. They're rubbish but they're cheap, so what do you expect? Last time I flew with them they were so rubbish they forgot to charge me for airport check in and baggage check in in both directions, you win some and you lose some. I wouldn't pay full whack to fly with them but I'm off to Hamburg for a week for 2p return, including tax. You really can't beat that, even with the airport fees.
  • Options
    Well i dont have a Visa Electron card so that wouldn't explain the debit charge fee

Thing is Kermit, I've flown with them for last few years 3/4times a year, and only since feb have you had to pay to check in at the airport, the baggage has almost/over doubled etc
  • Options
    The cost of fuel's gone up which means it costs them more to carry bags. I know Prestwick put their grounding charges up recently and that won't have helped.

But mostly Ryanair are doing this to keep their headline fares cheap. Fair enough, I say, if you travel light and you check in online then you pay less because it costs Ryanair less to fly you there. It's a better system than having people who don't take up the time and baggage having to pay for those who do.

If you don't use Visa Electron to book then you have to pay the fee. Again, fair enough, given how much MasterCard charge to process Maestro transactions.

You treat the cost as the overall price. Either it is cheap or it isn't. If it's not cheap enough fly with someone else or, even better still, give a toss about the environment and get the train or coach.
  • Options
    I understand what your saying, and i agree in scene, but a 50% increase in less than a few months.. bit insane really,

I wish i could check in online but with a baby you cant