Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Baggage Allowance - RyanAir

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Right so it goes like this . . .

I've just got back of a week's holiday in the sun - on the way out my suitcase weighed 20kg with my allowance being 15 I managed to stuff 4.1 in hand luggage so it was OK but that was just for one week.

A week today - 1st July I'm flying out again with Ryanair, so again I have my 15kg check in limit and 10 kg hand luggage. This time I'm going for SIX WHOLE MONTHS. I was carrying 20kg for a week - uh, how the fuck am I going to manage 6 months worth?

I have my big suitcase which I will pack then I'm going to get a littler one which I can fill with 10kg so that's my most. Is there any way I can check in a second suitcase for extra? Not like the 1kg = 12 quid extra like pay for another 15kg allowance or something?

I'm really worrying about this, I have SO MUCH to take and it's going to cost me a fortune. I have a laptop to take hang luggage too and the whole one bag of hand luggage is stupid.

And

Breathe

Ashley

:mad:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Depends where you are travelling to. You could work the price out to ship it over compared to paying excess.
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    h
    I'm flying with Ryanair at the beginning of August but we have only paid for one set of luggage (we are going to share a big suitcase).

Are we allowed 10kg hand luggage as well? I wasn't aware of this?

Yes, 10kg hand luggage each BUT it has to fit into a certain little area (a large beach bag/small suitcase size) AND it can only be just the ONE bag.

Will look into the shipping things . . .

I was going to take some basic toiletries with me but am rethinking now...
    Can you not just pay for another item of luggage to be put in the hold? Or book yourself an extra seat so you get teh extra hand luggage allowance and then the extra hold bag - i'm going to a weddign in Ireland on Ryan air and we have booked a seat for the wedding cake as obv it can't be put in the hold.

Otherwise you will just have to pack very lightly and then buy stuff when you get there. I would make a list of everyting your planning on taking and then cross of half of what you think you need to take.

You can also always buy shampoo etc once your through security and they won't count towards your luggage allowance.
    you just pay extra for above the baggage allowance
    I think you'll manage. I went to Poland with Ryanair and was there for four months. Think very carefully about what you really need. Don't bother packing shampoo/shower gel, just buy it there. I got a lightweight towel from a camping shop.
    Just take what you can and get a box of everything you can't fit shipped to your new address. That's what all of my international buddies do.
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Can you not just pay for another item of luggage to be put in the hold? Or book yourself an extra seat so you get teh extra hand luggage allowance and then the extra hold bag - i'm going to a weddign in Ireland on Ryan air and we have booked a seat for the wedding cake as obv it can't be put in the hold.

Otherwise you will just have to pack very lightly and then buy stuff when you get there. I would make a list of everyting your planning on taking and then cross of half of what you think you need to take.

You can also always buy shampoo etc once your through security and they won't count towards your luggage allowance.

Could I do that? Book another seat on the plane then I would have two seats so two lots of 15kg to check in...and 20kg hand luggage?

I've just bought my new laptop today to take with me and thats nearly 4kg alone!!

I don't have to take towels and stuff because she has bought me a set of my own - thank god. I have already bought like shower gel and shampoo and stuff because I thought I'm not going to get out as soon as I get there and will need that sort of stuff. Also I'm very sadly brand-loyal and need some time when I'm out there to figure out my lovely english equivalents.

Seriously thinking about booking another seat though as my whole flight was only 40 quid anyway!
    You have to take your laptop out to go through security anyway.

What I did was wear loads of clothes when I went through security, then whipped out an Ikea bag and shoved everything in there.
    *Ashley* wrote: »
    Could I do that? Book another seat on the plane then I would have two seats so two lots of 15kg to check in...and 20kg hand luggage?

I've just bought my new laptop today to take with me and thats nearly 4kg alone!!

I don't have to take towels and stuff because she has bought me a set of my own - thank god. I have already bought like shower gel and shampoo and stuff because I thought I'm not going to get out as soon as I get there and will need that sort of stuff. Also I'm very sadly brand-loyal and need some time when I'm out there to figure out my lovely english equivalents.

Seriously thinking about booking another seat though as my whole flight was only 40 quid anyway!

I would double check with ryan air but I imagine its perfectly possible - either that our you will have to bake a wedding cake and take it with you!

My sister in law - managed to book a seat for the cake on the way back a well......
    Have been post office today and to ship a 1 kg parcel over it costs £3.08 as opposed to the £12.00 excess baggage charge at the airport. So big 10kg parcel me thinks!
    invite a friend to fly who has no luggage

BTW what kind of holiday lasts 6 months??
    She's going to be an Au Pere (or however you spell it).
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    DG wrote: »
    BTW what kind of holiday lasts 6 months??
    The kind everyone wishes they could have? :p
    I just checked their website and it says you can book to take extra baggage for a charge. You can check in up to 3 bags each waying 15kgs, and the charge is £16 per bag one way. See here

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=CHARGES
    take no notice of my last post I read it wrong - sorry! :o