Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

fathers at the birth

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    do i HAVE to tell him when the baby is born? i mean like the day its born
  • Options
    No.

You don't HAVE to tell him anything.
  • Options
    i think you should tho.

you both got into this situation.
  • Options
    bossa wrote: »
    i think you should tho.

:yes:

Even if he is a twat, he should know when his kid is in the world.
  • Options
    do i HAVE to tell him when the baby is born? i mean like the day its born
    no. Its up to you. If it was me in your situation with him being so weird and horrid as it was, i certainly wouldnt be going out of my way to have him coming causing disruption until maybe you were feeling more up to it.

What is worrying you the most BB?
  • Options
    i certainly wouldnt be going out of my way to have him coming causing disruption until maybe you were feeling more up to it.

this is my thinking too, i want to be settled and gotten into some sort of routine with the baby before he comes barging in and being a twat. i will of course tell him but i want to wait a few weeks after the baby comes.

im not really worried as i have my family around me and my boyfriend wont let him do anything to me and the baby but i just hate him, i physically hate him now because of how he has treated me. he keeps telling me how im mentally unhinged and unfit to look after the baby!
    he just talks down to me and when im trying to get to grips with a newborn and sleep deprived and emotional, i dont want him around making me feel like shit.

i just dont want him around fullstop but i know the baby should atleast have the chance to know its dad, even if he is the biggest twat i have ever met!
  • Options
    I think if you wait a few weeks, hes gonna go ballistic. I wonder if you could go to citizens advice bureau or a solicitor to find out what you can do.
    If you really fear he is going to be an arsehole or a danger or hes putting your mental or physical health at risk, can you get an injunction???
    I personally think that letting him know within a few days of the birth might be an idea, because you can be up and about, yet its not so far afterwards that he might go nuts about it.
    I do think you should make a complaint to his manager about his behaviour too
  • Options
    i havent heard from him now in over a week, and hopefully he will stay away as we asked him to.
    i want to wait atleast a few days, let me settle at home a little before he starts barging in and being a twat!
    as far as complaints go, im just leaving it for now, if he keeps to his word and keeps away then fine but the next time he starts then i will be straight on the phone to his superiours.
  • Options
    Maybe you should look into doing contact through some kind of intermediary. I dunno, if you and him are going to clash then it might be in everyones best interest to take some of the emotion out of the situation and have a mediator of some sort?
  • Options
    i dont know why some guys just dont get, that the best way to keep good contact with their kids, is to not be a complete cock to the childs mother.

its hardly rocket science
  • Options
    i dont know why some guys just dont get, that the best way to keep good contact with their kids, is to not be a complete cock to the childs mother.

its hardly rocket science

the same reason lots of mums seem to think the best way to get back at ex's is to try and stop contact between fathers and there children.
  • Options
    its not so much "getting back" at anyone, its just not wanting to have a troublemaker in your or your childs life.
    If a guy is not a troublemaker, then i would say, in most cases there wouldnt be a problem, at least when the child is a little bit older, as when all parties are pleasant and mature, then having contact is in EVERYONES interest.
    The father and the child have a relationship, and the mother gets a break.
    If the father is being insulting, confrontational, pretty much abusive, then they shouldnt be too shocked if their ex doesnt want to let the child visit them too much.
  • Options
    its not so much "getting back" at anyone, its just not wanting to have a troublemaker in your or your childs life.

You seem to miss the point in so many of your posts, its not just the mothers child, its the fathers child as well.
  • Options
    Thing is SCC its a two way thing and depending whose doing the talking (mother or father) its always painted as a one way thing.

"I play up because she doesn't give the child access to me"
    "I restrict access because he plays up"

Or whatever. At the end of the day what it boils down to is two people who can't overcome their differences - which happens a lot in life - but because of the child cant get away from each other. It's why I suggested some kind of mediator because otherwise the child will just end up as a pawn in a game of getting one over on each other.
  • Options
    This guy is already playing up and the child isn't even born yet. I don't think SCC misses the point in her posts at all, but I do think that some of the people who think she does have no idea what it's like to be a parent or to have to consider issues like custody for real.
  • Options
    from day one i have said i will allow him access but now he is being abusive to me and to be honest i am genuinly worried that he could lose his temper and hurt the baby and/or myself. which is why i am reluctant to let him be around.
    but i havent said once on here that i wont let him see the child, all i have said is i want a bit of time to get settled before i let him know its been born
  • Options
    from day one i have said i will allow him access but now he is being abusive to me and to be honest i am genuinly worried that he could lose his temper and hurt the baby and/or myself. which is why i am reluctant to let him be around.
    but i havent said once on here that i wont let him see the child, all i have said is i want a bit of time to get settled before i let him know its been born

I can understand not wanting him around but i would be Devastated if I didn’t find out my child was born until a couple of days after. Isn’t there someone that can be used as a go between the two of you? Maybe someone that is friends with both of you?
  • Options
    Acting the way he has it's understandable that blonde__batman isn't planning on notifying him straight away.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Acting the way he has it's understandable that blonde__batman isn't planning on notifying him straight away.

that still doesnt make it right....
  • Options
    So you don't mind a violent man being around a baby?
    I'm sure if he hadn't acted up she'd let him know asap.
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    You seem to miss the point in so many of your posts, its not just the mothers child, its the fathers child as well.

Do you have children? Have you ever had an abusive partner?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    lea_uk wrote: »
    So you don't mind a violent man being around a baby?
    I'm sure if he hadn't acted up she'd let him know asap.
    :yes: As it should be.

Just thinking aloud for the next part:
    The abusive partner could easily have been the mother, and in that case it would be difficult to keep her from knowing the kid's been born...
  • Options

The abusive partner could easily have been the mother, and in that case it would be difficult to keep her from knowing the kid's been born...

er yeah, she might feel it a bit.

So youre saying that basic biology isnt fair. Maybe you should lodge your complaint with baby jesus or something?>
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    that still doesnt make it right....

what isnt right is him turning up here being verbally aggressive and abusive to me and my partner. him calling and texting me so often i had to change my number. him calling me every name under the sun and saying he wants nothing to do with the baby or me but suddenly someone else is on the scene and he is now back. him refusing to give me a penny towards baby things but still expecting to be able to turn up the day its born and be involved.

so dont you sit there and tell me what is or isnt right! i have done this on my own from day one and thats his choice so why now should i let him swan back in and be around stressing me out when im trying to give birth?! i want the best for my child and as far as im concerned that is me having a few days to get to grips with being a mum before he turns up and starts hasseling me
  • Options
    exactly BB. None of these twats here no anything like how hard it is physically and mentally to go through a pregnancy. Its the hardest thing ive ever done. The fact that he inseminated you does not give him a right to lord it over you and abuse you from then on. Youre not obligated.
    No wonder the abortion rate is so high if women get so much shit for wanting to just get on with their lives in peace away from aggressive violent men who just so happen to be the father of their child.

I wouldnt blame you one bit if you just didnt see him again. I wonder if thats what he wants - to push you away so he can make you out to be the bad guy when if he REALLY wanted to see his child, he would be doing everything in his power to build a civil relationship with you to facilitate that.
  • Options
    and I went through my pregnancies with full support and help (the last two anyway) and it was still incredibly hard and I wouldnt wish it on anyone.

I salute you for doing this alone, especially with the obstacles like this in your way. I really dont think id cope as well as you. ((hugs))
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    So youre saying that basic biology isnt fair. Maybe you should lodge your complaint with baby jesus or something?>
    :p
    I was just thinking aloud, just like I said. In the end, it's clear that if it was possible to keep her from knowing it probably should be done, so since it's possible for men there's no reason not to.

What I do object to is leaving this to lie 100% with the mother. In most cases it will be because the father is abusive, I suspect, but in some of them he might be the nicest person ever and the mother just hates him for something and keeps it a secret as revenge.
  • Options

I wouldnt blame you one bit if you just didnt see him again. I wonder if thats what he wants - to push you away so he can make you out to be the bad guy when if he REALLY wanted to see his child, he would be doing everything in his power to build a civil relationship with you to facilitate that.

i wish i could never see him again, i wish we could move away and he would be out of our lives forever.
    my partner and i have spoken about the same sort of thing as you've just said...its almost as though he has kicked up such a fuss now that he HAS to carry on with it to save face if that makes sence? cos as you said, if he really was that interested he would have been that way from day 1, not nearly 4 months down the line when someone else came along. and he would have coughed up atleast a few quid for clothes but he is refusing to even do that!
  • Options
    :p
    I was just thinking aloud, just like I said. In the end, it's clear that if it was possible to keep her from knowing it probably should be done, so since it's possible for men there's no reason not to.

What I do object to is leaving this to lie 100% with the mother. In most cases it will be because the father is abusive, I suspect, but in some of them he might be the nicest person ever and the mother just hates him for something and keeps it a secret as revenge.
    What I object to is you making stupid comments like that that is completely irrellevant to the case - the guy in THIS CASE is NOT the nicest guy in the world and BB clearly isn't wanting to do this to get revenge or something. Your comments really don't help and this is a board for helping and giving advice, not twisting things up to provide stupid comments that are only there to cause upset or to be anti woman (you seem to be quite anti woman at the moment, or at least anti pregnant woman).
    So why don't you just give it a rest? I'm sure BB could do without other people being a dick, seems like she's got enough on her plate as it is.
  • Options

It might be better if thinking aloud talking points trotted over to P&D where they can be discussed ad infinitum rather than getting in the way of someones request for advice?

You don't have to tell him, and you don't have to tell him the moment the baby is born. The only thing that might be worth thinking about is that as he's going to find out at some point it might be easiest for you to tell him sooner rather than later, gives less opportunity for him to argue that you are excluding him.

Is there someone else supportive around? Mum or friend maybe? One option that might work would be to pick a time and invite him round to see the baby when they are there, and your current partner isn't (or at least isn't around even if he's in). Hopefully would reduce the chance of confrontation.