Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

fathers at the birth

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i have changed my number but he keeps texting/calling my partner and a friend of mine. and he is now threatening to turn up here and 'make me talk to him' if i dont call him.
    he has police checked my partner without his consent and also has asked a police friend of his to keep checking my partners house to see if i have moved in there yet!
  • Options
    Get them to block his number?
  • Options
    if you say you will make a police complaint if he doesn't stop pestering you, then if he persists make one. they might have a word with him but its important to get things on file if he is being a nuisance, stressful and / or upsetting. you can also ask you phone company to monitor how many calls he makes to you (you cant get a block, unfortunately) so you have material evidence he is harassin ya
  • Options
    OMG i didnt even know you were pregnant.
  • Options
    i have changed my number but he keeps texting/calling my partner and a friend of mine. and he is now threatening to turn up here and 'make me talk to him' if i dont call him.
    he has police checked my partner without his consent and also has asked a police friend of his to keep checking my partners house to see if i have moved in there yet!
    Is he a policeman?

Can you make a complaint to his superior if hes abusing privileges?
  • Options
    Yeah keep a diary of what he's doing and see if you can get his calls and stuff monitored, or at least keep them so you have proof.
  • Options
    yes he is a policeman. my mum called the police today and made a complaint and basically said not to do anything now but if he carries on she will call them again and then wants them to take action. he is being stupid cos he could lose his job over this sort of thing!
  • Options
    It's shocking that he is abusing his power like that :no:
  • Options
    I'm not shocked...
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Whenever that is.[the next session when the Welfare Reform Bill goes through Parliament]
    Parliament is about to break up for the summer, so the Government doesn't have time to pass this bill now. The next parliamentary session usually starts in mid-October.
  • Options
    whatever happens, there will never be a law that states a father should be at a birth.
    tbh, the only reason they want to make women put the fathers down on birth certificates is to save money in benefits for women who may previously have claimed to not know the father. Not out of caring about any childs birthright or welfare. You could put any willing guy on the birth certificate. Its not like theyre asking for a DNA test
  • Options
    What if you actually don't know, what are they gonna do about it? Ok, that might just derail this thread a bit too much.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    What if you actually don't know, what are they gonna do about it? Ok, that might just derail this thread a bit too much.

Exactly. They can't make you really. What if you can't remember who you've slept with? (by you I obviously mean 'one' not 'you' personally Katralla)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    You could put any willing guy on the birth certificate. Its not like theyre asking for a DNA test

Not you can't. Yes they are.
    Katralla wrote:
    What if you actually don't know, what are they gonna do about it?

They'll have to proove it apparently, though I'm not sure how that

Here's more details
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2067197/Mothers-to-name-child's-father-on-birth-certificate.html
    I think it's a good idea for all concerned.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Not you can't. Yes they are.

They'll have to proove it apparently, though I'm not sure how that

Here's more details
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2067197/Mothers-to-name-child's-father-on-birth-certificate.html
    I think it's a good idea for all concerned.

not legally you cant, but i really dont think theyre going to demand a DNA test for every birth registration
  • Options
    but i really dont think theyre going to demand a DNA test for every birth registration

why not? i think its a great idea.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I'm not shocked...

nor am i to be honest. he was always a bit controlling so it makes perfect sense that he is now trying to use 'the law' over me!
    well he wont win!

it was the 20 week scan yesterday....he didnt even turn up! all the fuss he has made and he didnt even bother to turn up to the scan...some father he is going to be!
  • Options
    Do you know what you are having?
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »

A baby :D

(I tried to fight it, honestly I did but the urge was too strong :( )
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »

nope the hospital wont tell us :(
    but we are having a 4D one done in about 6 weeks so we will find out then :hyper:
  • Options
    ahh wow. I had one of those with Félix. It was really nice
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    nope the hospital wont tell us :(
    Even if you want to know? :chin:
    Can someone explain the logic?
  • Options
    they dont tell you in my local hospital either.

The ultrasound department told us it was because of the risk of people sueing if they got it wrong (which i thought was strange because they have ultra modern new scanning equipment) and also because some people might abort for the wrong sex.

My community midwife later told me that that was all bullshit and the real reason is the same people also offer private scans at the local private hospital for £100 a shot and thats why!
  • Options
    Even if you want to know? :chin:
    Can someone explain the logic?

Some hospitals in areas where there is a large Asian community will not tell you which sex your baby is because in some Asian cultures there is a preference to for boys (all very long and complicated but to do with dowries and family politics). If a family find out its having a girl rather than a boy they abort the baby as they do not want girls.

This is much more common in India than it is in the UK but in some areas its increasing. Interestingly you are more likely to do this if your and educated family in an urban area as you have more money and access to technology. In some areas of the punjab amongst the urban elite only 300 girls are born for every 1000 boys - which is a really schocking statisitic.

There was even an advert (now banned) in india = which read "spend 5000 rupees now [on a scan] and save 50,000 rupees later [on a dowry]

This report - is based on the Indian experience but explains some of the issues a bit clearer.
  • Options
    its an excuse. Its not like they cant get private scans and abortions anyway
  • Options
    its an excuse. Its not like they cant get private scans and abortions anyway

Yes but it also absolves the NHS for responsibility for nasty deeds - i think its also why they dont' tell you the sex untill quite far into the pregnancy if they do so - because its easier to be sure but also towards the limit for abortions
  • Options
    Good luck with 4d scan x
  • Options
    I always wondered why they call it a 4d scan when at most its 3d?
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Yes but it also absolves the NHS for responsibility for nasty deeds - i think its also why they dont' tell you the sex untill quite far into the pregnancy if they do so - because its easier to be sure but also towards the limit for abortions

its almost impossible to tell before 16 weeks. Even if you get a private sexing scan, thats the very earliest you can tell
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    I always wondered why they call it a 4d scan when at most its 3d?

3D is still images. 4D is moving image