Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Buying a bike

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi just wondered if anyone knew a bit about bikes and could give me some advice. Im thinking of buying a reconditioned hybrid from this place called the bike station i know of here..theyve got a really good reputation for selling good quality reconditioned bikes but im pretty new to this stuff so wondered If anyone had some advice what to look for when buying a 2nd hand/reconditioned bike? I know i can ask them too but just kind of want to go armed with a little knowledge so i know a little more what go talking about before i talk to them about it! Thanks! :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Hmm when buying a second hand bike ...
    i'd ask when tyres /inner tubes were last replaced (if at all) - and any punctures that were fixed.

I'd ask if there were any new parts since purchase, and why they did it (preference vs problematic)

make sure it has the tyres that you want it for - i.e if you're riding to work in the road, get road tyres - if you're riding forests and mountains to get to work as a goat herder - go for the mountain bike tyres.

errrrrrr I'm sure someone else will be along with more info :)
  • Options
    Hmm when buying a second hand bike ...
    i'd ask when tyres /inner tubes were last replaced (if at all) - and any punctures that were fixed.

I'd ask if there were any new parts since purchase, and why they did it (preference vs problematic)

make sure it has the tyres that you want it for - i.e if you're riding to work in the road, get road tyres - if you're riding forests and mountains to get to work as a goat herder - go for the mountain bike tyres.

errrrrrr I'm sure someone else will be along with more info :)

Well thats why I thought a hybrid would be best because I'll probably mostly use it for the road but I also want to be able to take it out on rougher trails and stuff..don't want purely a city bike cos it won't be tough enough..think that's why I'm thinking I want to be a little more careful before I buy cos want it to be tough enough to not fall apart the first time I go over stony/muddy ground or anything!!
  • Options
    My dad gave me some advice for buying second hand bikes a while ago. Here it is:

Check the sizing of the bike - make sure you can put the saddle high enough so that your leg is ALMOST stretched to the pedal. Also check that the 'reach' to the handlebars feels comfortable i..e no too long or short.
    Feel how heavy the bike is, if they are cheap bikes they will be
    quite heavy but just make sure you are ok with that.
    Check gears move freely from top to bottom etc.
    Check wheels are 'true' i.e. no kinks, and that there are no loose spokes
    Check condition of the tyres, i.e. not bald and no big 'nicks' in the tyre,
    look also at the sides of the tyre.
    Check the wheels turn freely without and creaking (eg turn bike upside down and spin the wheels.
    Check brakes work ok and brake blocks are not too worn (although they are cheap to replace)
    Check it is easy to adjust the saddle

If its reconditioned then you shouldn't have to worry about the brakes and gears but its best to check anyway. I'd test drive one then you can check it for size and test out the gears and brakes, and then give it a quick once over. Don't be afraid to inspect the bike closely and check that no screws are rusted on, e.g round handlebars as this can be easy to miss but makes it difficult when adjusting the bike

My dad is a keen bike rider so if you stick to that then you should be fine :)

Also if you're buying from a place that reconditions them have a look round the freeads first, you may find something there for a lot cheaper. Second hand bikes are generally not worth a lot and reconditioned one sell for quite a lot more than a good quality bike in the freeads. However, you do get more of a guarantee of quality. Ask about this, do they offer a warranty or returns policy?

Good luck!
  • Options
    HanHan wrote: »
    Well thats why I thought a hybrid would be best because I'll probably mostly use it for the road but I also want to be able to take it out on rougher trails and stuff..don't want purely a city bike cos it won't be tough enough..think that's why I'm thinking I want to be a little more careful before I buy cos want it to be tough enough to not fall apart the first time I go over stony/muddy ground or anything!!

I was reading (if I can find the link I will post it) an online Bike types breakdown by a respected magazine and they do not recommend you take hybrid bikes off road.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    I was reading (if I can find the link I will post it) an online Bike types breakdown by a respected magazine and they do not recommend you take hybrid bikes off road.

Oh right....I thought they were kind of designed as a decent, hard wearing, multi purpose type bike? :confused: This stuff can get a little confusing! If you could find the link at some point please, that would be great....:D

Good advice, too, Kangoo....thanks!! :thumb:
  • Options
    It depends what you mean by 'off road' if you mean a nice ride across the countryside then hybrids will be just fine. If you mean x country across properly rough terrain then it won't do a hybrid any good.

I ride a bog standard moutain bike with relatively slick tyres on, works a treat for my general cycling on roads, and is quite happy on a trip through the countryside.

Keep an eye on ads in newsagents, local papers etc, you'll often get a much posher bike for the same price as a reconditioned one, or the same quality cheaper.

Generally with bikes if the wheels spin straight, there's no rust, none of the cables are worn and the brakes and gears all work fine then you can't go too far wrong. Stay away from anything made by Halfords second hand though.
  • Options
    It depends what you mean by 'off road' if you mean a nice ride across the countryside then hybrids will be just fine. If you mean x country across properly rough terrain then it won't do a hybrid any good.
    yeah id definitely be more along the lines of a nice ride across the countryside! Wont be doing any big jumps across rocky terrain or anything any time soon..;) thanks for all your great advice you lot! :)